FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using it as an
opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to filter out
the mailing list spam.

The suggestion I got from the bogofilter mailing list is to set up an
ignorelist.db, in the same directory as the wordlist.db, and the FAQ on the
site gives instructions how to do this as below.

<FAQ>
Can I tell bogofilter to ignore certain tokens?

Through the use of an ignore list, bogofilter will ignore the listed tokens
when scoring the message.

Example:

wordlist I,ignore,~/ignorelist.db,7
wordlist R,system,/var/spool/bogofilter/wordlist.db,8


Because ignorelist.db has a lower index (7), than wordlist.db (8), bogofilter
will stop looking when finds a token in ignorelist.db.

Note: Technically, bogofilter gives a score of ROBX to the tokens and expects
the min_dev parameter to drop them from the scoring.

< This is where I'm confused>

There are two main methods for building/maintaining an ignore list.

First, a text file can be created and maintained using any text editor.
Bogoutil can convert the text file to database format, e.g. "bogoutil -l
ignorelist.db < ignorelist.txt".

Alternatively, echo ... | bogoutil ... can be used to add a single token, for
example "ignore.me", as in:

echo ignore.me | bogoutil -l ~/ignorelist.db
<end of FAQ>

Is anybody on the list using an ignorelist.db with bogofilter, and if so, how
have they set it up?

As far as I understand, and because for example the Debian list is usually
free of spam messages, bogofilter has them marked as ham. The suggestion from
the bogofilter list was to populate the ignorelist.db with headers from
genuine non-spam posts from the Debian list, and in that way, when
downloading email, bogofilter would ignore the genuine messages from the
list, and headers that are spammy on messages from the Debian list would be
processed by bogofilter, and hopefully be classified as spam, and end up in
the wastebin, rather than my Debian-user mailbox.

What I'm unsure about is how to get genuine headers from the Debian mailing
list posts into the ignorelist.db, which is why I asked if anyone is doing
this earlier on in this very long diatribe.

This is all a bit academic at the moment, as the spam flood has stopped on the
list. That is unless someone can direct me to a mailing list that I can
temporarily subscribe to, that is known for allowing spam. If so I can at
least see if bogofilters ignorelist.db is working.

Apart from filtering out mailing list spam bogofilter is working just fine,
and I only get the odd spam, or ham in the unsure mailbox. The rest of the
spam goes straight to the wastebin.

Any help appreciated from those that are using bogofilter, and dealing with
mailing list spam.

Nigel.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Jan 9, 2008 1:51 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using it as an
opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to filter out
the mailing list spam.


Give your address to one of those "refer 10 friends and get a free xbox" sites.* I gave them a disposable email address *once* and that address has eaten over 13,000
messages since 2005-09-28.* (For those of you who are not math geeks, that's ~16 messages per day.)* A different disposable address given to a similar site has eaten over 3,200 messages since the same date, which is ~4 per day.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers
 
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM
David Brodbeck
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Jan 9, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Chris Howie wrote:On Jan 9, 2008 1:51 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using it as an
opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to filter out
the mailing list spam.

Give your address to one of those "refer 10 friends and get a free xbox" sites.* I gave them a disposable email address *once* and that address has eaten over 13,000 messages since 2005-09-28.* (For those of you who are not math geeks, that's ~16 messages per day.)* A different disposable address given to a similar site has eaten over 3,200 messages since the same date, which is ~4 per day. Or make a post to one of the *.test Usenet groups. *That will get you all the spam you can handle within a few days.
 
Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 19:58, Chris Howie wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 1:51 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using it
> > as an
> > opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to filter
> > out
> > the mailing list spam.
>
> Give your address to one of those "refer 10 friends and get a free xbox"
> sites. I gave them a disposable email address *once* and that address has
> eaten over 13,000 messages since 2005-09-28. (For those of you who are not
> math geeks, that's ~16 messages per day.) A different disposable address
> given to a similar site has eaten over 3,200 messages since the same date,
> which is ~4 per day.

If you can't help with the problem I have, why reply with some sort of pisch
take.

I am genuinly trying to resolve the problem of filtering out spam, that
occasionally turns up on mailing lists. As I've said bogofilter works fine
with non mailing list spam, but something extra is needed to deal with
mailing list spam.

I do not think that spam is funny, and something to laugh at. I check my
wastebin each day after downloading the mail, just to see that no ham has
been put there by bogofilter. Most of it has do with getting a bigger male
member, expressed in a variety of ways, some of which are extremely crude,
and quite obscene. Often I just empty the trash without checking it, as the
spam that's there is to say the least "sick".

Perhaps I should just keep this problem on the bogofilter list if the best
that can come from the Debian list is what you have posted.

I use Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, along with Fedora installs, and other distro's.
Apart from FC2 that I'm emailing from I find the Debian ones, and Archlinux
the most stable. I'm upgrading Sarge at the moment, and am surprised that I'm
not only getting security updates, but also updated packages, so that's a
darned site better than Fedora are doing.

Rant over.

Nigel.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 PM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

Wow dude... just wow.* Somebody is wound tight today.

The comment I posted did have a useful suggestion.* Try to bait spammers with a test email address.* Post it places, give it to spammers.* You'll have more test data than you know what to do with.


I was trying to offer a tip while bringing a certain lightness to the topic.* Apparently that did not work, but holy crap man... did you think I was making fun of you or something?


On Jan 9, 2008 3:03 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 19:58, Chris Howie wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 1:51 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using it

> > as an
> > opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to filter
> > out
> > the mailing list spam.
>
> Give your address to one of those "refer 10 friends and get a free xbox"

> sites. *I gave them a disposable email address *once* and that address has
> eaten over 13,000 messages since 2005-09-28. *(For those of you who are not
> math geeks, that's ~16 messages per day.) *A different disposable address

> given to a similar site has eaten over 3,200 messages since the same date,
> which is ~4 per day.

If you can't help with the problem I have, why reply with some sort of pisch
take.


I am genuinly trying to resolve the problem of filtering out spam, that
occasionally turns up on mailing lists. As I've said bogofilter works fine
with non mailing list spam, but something extra is needed to deal with

mailing list spam.

I do not think that spam is funny, and something to laugh at. I check my
wastebin each day after downloading the mail, just to see that no ham has
been put there by bogofilter. Most of it has do with getting a bigger male

member, expressed in a variety of ways, some of which are extremely crude,
and quite obscene. Often I just empty the trash without checking it, as the
spam that's there is to say the least "sick".


Perhaps I should just keep this problem on the bogofilter list if the best
that can come from the Debian list is what you have posted.

I use Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, along with Fedora installs, and other distro's.

Apart from FC2 that I'm emailing from I find the Debian ones, and Archlinux
the most stable. I'm upgrading Sarge at the moment, and am surprised that I'm
not only getting security updates, but also updated packages, so that's a

darned site better than Fedora are doing.

Rant over.

Nigel.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers
 
Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Wednesday 09 January 2008 21:23, Chris Howie wrote:
> Wow dude... just wow. Somebody is wound tight today.
>
> The comment I posted did have a useful suggestion. Try to bait spammers
> with a test email address. Post it places, give it to spammers. You'll
> have more test data than you know what to do with.
>
> I was trying to offer a tip while bringing a certain lightness to the
> topic. Apparently that did not work, but holy crap man... did you think I
> was making fun of you or something?

I was trying to get a resolution to the problem of how to set up bogofilter to
deal with mailing list spam, not deliberately attract spammers. A link to a
known mailing list that wasn't too bothered about spam on their list would
have been usefull though, as the Debian guys have resolved the spam flood
problem.

I don't believe I am wound up. Some time back we had an influx of spam on the
list, and I thought I'd fixed it within bogofilter. The spam mails to the
list were stopped by the Debian guys, so it was difficult to know if what I
had done had fixed it or not. The latest flood of spam from the list showed
that I hadn't fixed it, as it was all turning up in my Debian mailbox. Some
folks were indicating that they used bogofilter, which is why I posted this
question.

Also please don't top post. Reading an answer before a question is not easy.

Nigel.
>
> On Jan 9, 2008 3:03 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 January 2008 19:58, Chris Howie wrote:
> > > On Jan 9, 2008 1:51 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:
> > > > I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was using
> >
> > it
> >
> > > > as an
> > > > opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use with Kmail to
> >
> > filter
> >
> > > > out
> > > > the mailing list spam.
> > >
> > > Give your address to one of those "refer 10 friends and get a free
> > > xbox" sites. I gave them a disposable email address *once* and that
> > > address
> >
> > has
> >
> > > eaten over 13,000 messages since 2005-09-28. (For those of you who are
> >
> > not
> >
> > > math geeks, that's ~16 messages per day.) A different disposable
> >
> > address
> >
> > > given to a similar site has eaten over 3,200 messages since the same
> >
> > date,
> >
> > > which is ~4 per day.
> >
> > If you can't help with the problem I have, why reply with some sort of
> > pisch
> > take.
> >
> > I am genuinly trying to resolve the problem of filtering out spam, that
> > occasionally turns up on mailing lists. As I've said bogofilter works
> > fine with non mailing list spam, but something extra is needed to deal
> > with mailing list spam.
> >
> > I do not think that spam is funny, and something to laugh at. I check my
> > wastebin each day after downloading the mail, just to see that no ham has
> > been put there by bogofilter. Most of it has do with getting a bigger
> > male member, expressed in a variety of ways, some of which are extremely
> > crude, and quite obscene. Often I just empty the trash without checking
> > it, as the
> > spam that's there is to say the least "sick".
> >
> > Perhaps I should just keep this problem on the bogofilter list if the
> > best that can come from the Debian list is what you have posted.
> >
> > I use Sarge, Etch, and Lenny, along with Fedora installs, and other
> > distro's.
> > Apart from FC2 that I'm emailing from I find the Debian ones, and
> > Archlinux
> > the most stable. I'm upgrading Sarge at the moment, and am surprised that
> > I'm
> > not only getting security updates, but also updated packages, so that's a
> > darned site better than Fedora are doing.
> >
> > Rant over.
> >
> > Nigel.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
John Hasler
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

Nigel Henry writes:
> I am genuinly trying to resolve the problem of filtering out spam, that
> occasionally turns up on mailing lists. As I've said bogofilter works
> fine with non mailing list spam, but something extra is needed to deal
> with mailing list spam.

I find that Spamassassin works fine on spam that comes via mailing-lists.
Do you somehow have the lists whitelisted?

--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
John Hasler
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

Chris Howie writes:
> The comment I posted did have a useful suggestion. Try to bait spammers
> with a test email address. Post it places, give it to spammers. You'll
> have more test data than you know what to do with.

But it may not have the right "flavor". I've found that different
addresses get distinctly different mixes of spam.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
"Chris Howie"
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On Jan 9, 2008 3:59 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@tiscali.fr> wrote:

I was trying to get a resolution to the problem of how to set up bogofilter to
deal with mailing list spam, not deliberately attract spammers. A link to a
known mailing list that wasn't too bothered about spam on their list would

have been usefull though, as the Debian guys have resolved the spam flood
problem.
*
I didn't know that's what you were looking for; now I do.* You rushed to the assumption that I was trying to be obnoxious, or at least that's how your reply came across, while my message was intended to be nothing of the sort.


I don't believe I am wound up. Some time back we had an influx of spam on the

list, and I thought I'd fixed it within bogofilter. The spam mails to the
list were stopped by the Debian guys, so it was difficult to know if what I
had done had fixed it or not. The latest flood of spam from the list showed

that I hadn't fixed it, as it was all turning up in my Debian mailbox. Some
folks were indicating that they used bogofilter, which is why I posted this
question.

I understand this, but your reaction was akin to a slap in the face after I simply tried to be somewhat humorous while providing what I thought was a helpful suggestion.* I ask you to reread my post in this light.

*Also please don't top post. Reading an answer before a question is not easy.


Noted.* (I usually do this, though I am admittedly a bit lazy today.)

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default How to filter out mailing list spam with bogofilter

On 01/09/08 14:59, Nigel Henry wrote:
[snip]


I was trying to get a resolution to the problem of how to set up bogofilter to
deal with mailing list spam, not deliberately attract spammers. A link to a
known mailing list that wasn't too bothered about spam on their list would
have been usefull though, as the Debian guys have resolved the spam flood
problem.


And he saw the part where you complained about a sudden lack of test
cases:


>> I'm a bit disappointed that the spam problem is fixed, as I was
>> using it as an opportunity to try and get bogofilter, which I use
>> with Kmail to filter

When I read his reply, I thought he was trying to be helpful.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org