Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   aptitude reinstall from file contained package names? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/32878-aptitude-reinstall-file-contained-package-names.html)

"Paul Csanyi" 01-09-2008 12:37 PM

aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?
 
Hello!

I do on my home server
aptitude search ~i >installed_packages

Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.

How can I do that?

I tried:
# aptitude reinstall <installed_packages

but nothing happen.

Any advice will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Daniel Burrows 01-09-2008 01:44 PM

aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?
 
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Hello!
>
> I do on my home server
> aptitude search ~i >installed_packages
>
> Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
> 'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> I tried:
> # aptitude reinstall <installed_packages
>
> but nothing happen.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated!

You need to pass the packages as command-line arguments, not on
stdin. Try

# aptitude reinstall $(cat installed_packages)

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-09-2008 02:16 PM

aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?
 
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> I do on my home server
> aptitude search ~i >installed_packages
>
> Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
> 'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> I tried:
> # aptitude reinstall <installed_packages
>
> but nothing happen.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated!

I've never tried that automatically with aptitude and checking the man
page suggests that its not possible.

You can save and restore in that with with dpkg --get-selection and
--set-selections options.

What I do is do the aptitude search '~i!~M' which gives me a list of
packages that are manually, not automatically installed. Then when I do
a reinstall, I manually choose the packages interactivly. I'm on
dial-up so I do it in logica chunks: basic CLI apps, basic X system,
mail system, graphical browser, etc.

If what you asked for really worked, then you would loose the main
benefit of aptitude: keeping track of shifting dependancies and cruft
controll. Everything would appear to be automatically installed.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Paul Csanyi" 01-09-2008 04:18 PM

aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?
 
2008/1/9, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> > I do on my home server
> > aptitude search ~i >installed_packages
> >
> > Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
> > 'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.
> >
> > How can I do that?

> I've never tried that automatically with aptitude and checking the man
> page suggests that its not possible.

I checked the man page too and find nothing about installing
from a file that being containing the list of installed
packages.

> If what you asked for really worked, then you would loose the main
> benefit of aptitude: keeping track of shifting dependancies and cruft
> controll. Everything would appear to be automatically installed.

I just want to reinstall everything installed on that system with one
command.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-09-2008 10:12 PM

aptitude reinstall from file contained package names?
 
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 06:18:39PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> 2008/1/9, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>:
> > On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:37:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> > > I do on my home server
> > > aptitude search ~i >installed_packages
> > >
> > > Now I want to reinstall all these packages listed in
> > > 'installed_packages' file, with aptitude.
> > >
> > > How can I do that?
>
> > I've never tried that automatically with aptitude and checking the man
> > page suggests that its not possible.
>
> I checked the man page too and find nothing about installing
> from a file that being containing the list of installed
> packages.
>
> > If what you asked for really worked, then you would loose the main
> > benefit of aptitude: keeping track of shifting dependancies and cruft
> > controll. Everything would appear to be automatically installed.
>
> I just want to reinstall everything installed on that system with one
> command.

If you don't care about manual vs automatic, then use dpkg. If you do
care, then store only the names of manually installed packages and just
install that.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:43 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.