Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Qubby

Default Goodbye

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:23:43 +0900, David wrote:

> I've got junk mail configured with seamonkey and it takes no more than
> about thirty seconds for the filters to do their work first down load of
> the morning.
> 150 emails with a third of those spam, but I don't even see them.
>
> What are you using as a mail agent?

I find it easier to use a newsreader with news.gmane.org It is a very well
managed list, but it's always easier to filter a busy list with a
newsreader if nntp access is available.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 04:51:36PM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 16:09, Joel Roberts wrote:
> > I've gotten a lot of good information from this list, and hopefully
> > supplied some as well, but I'm not going to weed through hundreds of
> > spam e-mails weekly to pursue this any longer. If the list organizers
> > can implement some anti-spam measures, I'll be happy to join again in
> > the future. There's no reason for this quantity of spam to be making it
> > through on a mailing list.
> Should be fixed by now. See
> http://cord.de/blog/index.php?entry=entry080108-144308
> for more details.

This is awesome and what I love about debian: he admitted it!

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-01-08 08:09:58, schrieb Joel Roberts:
> I've gotten a lot of good information from this list, and hopefully
> supplied some as well, but I'm not going to weed through hundreds of
> spam e-mails weekly to pursue this any longer. If the list organizers
> can implement some anti-spam measures, I'll be happy to join again in
> the future. There's no reason for this quantity of spam to be making it
> through on a mailing list.

------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE -------------------------

Sorry, but if the "list organizers" shutdown the spamfilters, you would
not stay longer as 5 minutes in this list.... :-)

I have gotten over 5 million SPAM between 2007-12-17 and 2008-01-05 and
only arround 800 coming through...

I do not asume you have goten the same amount of spam, maybe not even
5000 so you have gotten around 1 spam in this time if you would use a
spamfilter on your system...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 10/01/2008, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> Am 2008-01-08 08:09:58, schrieb Joel Roberts:
> > I've gotten a lot of good information from this list, and hopefully
> > supplied some as well, but I'm not going to weed through hundreds of
> > spam e-mails weekly to pursue this any longer. If the list organizers
> > can implement some anti-spam measures, I'll be happy to join again in
> > the future. There's no reason for this quantity of spam to be making it
> > through on a mailing list.
> >
> ------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE -------------------------
>
> Sorry, but if the "list organizers" shutdown the spamfilters, you would
> not stay longer as 5 minutes in this list.... :-)
>
> I have gotten over 5 million SPAM between 2007-12-17 and 2008-01-05 and
> only arround 800 coming through...
>
> I do not asume you have goten the same amount of spam, maybe not even
> 5000 so you have gotten around 1 spam in this time if you would use a
> spamfilter on your system...

I get about 700-1100 spams a day. Spamassasin on the server only
trickles 10-30 of those through a day (lately more, I've have to look
into that). Thunderbird sorts all of those. I get about two or three
false negatives (spam getting through) a day.

I go through both Spamassasin's and Tbirds spams, and I get about 1
false positive every two weeks, often less. And those are usually
too-spammy newsletters. None of my personal contacts has hit a false
positive in months.

That said, for mailing lists, I use Gmail. Great interface and spam filtering.

Did nobody notice that the OP posted in HTML? There are lists I
subscribe to that would have _removed_ him for that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Dotan Cohen wrote:

[...]

Second that. Gmail very rarely let's any spam through and I don't have
to set up or install anything. Thanks Google.

Hugo

Old 01-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Angus Auld

--- Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 10/01/2008, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> list, and hopefully
> through hundreds of
> If the list organizers
> happy to join again in
> of spam to be making it
> >>>
> >> ------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE
> -------------------------
> >>
> >> Sorry, but if the "list organizers" shutdown the
> spamfilters, you would
> >> not stay longer as 5 minutes in this list....
> :-)
> >>
> >> I have gotten over 5 million SPAM between
> 2007-12-17 and 2008-01-05 and
> >> only arround 800 coming through...
> >>
> >> I do not asume you have goten the same amount of
> spam, maybe not even
> >> 5000 so you have gotten around 1 spam in this
> time if you would use a
> >> spamfilter on your system...
> >
> > I get about 700-1100 spams a day. Spamassasin on
> the server only
> > trickles 10-30 of those through a day (lately
> more, I've have to look
> > into that). Thunderbird sorts all of those. I get
> about two or three
> > false negatives (spam getting through) a day.
> >
> > I go through both Spamassasin's and Tbirds spams,
> and I get about 1
> > false positive every two weeks, often less. And
> those are usually
> > too-spammy newsletters. None of my personal
> contacts has hit a false
> > positive in months.
> >
> > That said, for mailing lists, I use Gmail. Great
> interface and spam filtering.
> >

> Second that. Gmail very rarely let's any spam
> through and I don't have
> to set up or install anything. Thanks Google.
>
> Hugo

Yahoo! Mail with SpamGuard seems to be doing a good
job here.
I am one of the fortunate one's though in that I don't
receive
a lot of spam.
I don't feel left out in the least on that regard.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
"Alon Bar-Lev"

Hello,

I guess I am tired of fighting with people here. I am too old for this crap.

There are few brutal developers here that make Gentoo a terrible place
to be. Well... I can handle few developers, but when devrel enters the
picture with arguments such as "volunteers can do crappy job as long
as they have fun" enough is enough.

I signed-up to work on distribution if I have fun in the process it is
great! But always keep in mind the delivery I provide to users.

Gentoo has some fundamental issues, the obvious one is lack of
leadership. There is *NOBODY* that formally responsible or cares about
the delivery Gentoo (AS A WHOLE) provide to its users. The council is
just a political body that discuss the void issues.

As a result the laud and brutal developers dictate the tune. With no
proper mechanism to decide if a decision that was taken aligns with
Gentoo goals.

The devrel process is ridiculous, as proxy between developers without
ability to determine anything does not help anyone.

During the short time I was around Gentoo lost some of the best
developers that were around, due to similar reasons.

If Gentoo community cannot provide its own goals, at least it should
embrace standards. Compliant to standards may resolve many conflicts.
Roy worked hard to make Gentoo POSIX shell compliant, but this was not
accepted, but imagine fully Gentoo work with busybox based system,
isn't this an advantage we have? especially on small systems. I
appreciate flameeyes work on reducing the system size, I am aware how
hard it is. There are new violations of HFS in Gentoo, but nobody
cares.

Jacub, one of the best developers around that actually cared about the
service we provide to our users was suspended while trying to do so,
and now he is not active anymore.

There are some more examples... The brutal developers remain, the quiet leave.

Gentoo is built on a lot of inexperienced students, but the backbone
of core developers with real-life experience is very weak. I think
that current approach of the developers community will not able to
resolve this, as a result Gentoo community will not mature.

Gentoo has a great piece of technology (portage), this is unique and
with the right leadership may be the tool to make Gentoo more stable
and popular, as a result extending the user community and gain more
resources. But leadership derives goals, goals derive complaint,
complaint derives means of enforcement. None of these currently
available in the community.

Personal note on leadership: vapier - you are good, so good that many
envy you. But this does not give you the right to not being nice. You
are on of the few people here that can take at least partially resolve
the leadership issue. With a little patience and care. (Just to make
it clear: I am not leaving because of vapier).

Packages to reassign:

mobile:
dev-libs/libx86
sys-power/suspend
sys-power/hibernate-script

antivirus
./sys-fs/dazuko

misc:
net-misc/openvpn
media-sound/mp3unicode

I am available at email:alon.barlev@gmail.com

Have fun,
Alon.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Cdric Krier

On 13/05/08 09:33 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Packages to reassign:
>

> misc:
> net-misc/openvpn

I can take it.

--
Cdric Krier

Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
"Fabio Erculiani"

I guess I am tired of fighting with people here. I am too old for this crap.

[...snip...]

Have fun,

Alon.

I fully agree with what you wrote.
Hope to see you here back again, btw net-misc/openvpn made my day a lot of times
--
Fabio Erculiani
http://www.sabayon.org

Si vis pacem, para iustitiam