Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Martin Marcher

Default Areca 1210 "Capacity Expansion"

Hello,

we own an areca 1210 and currently have a RAID5 with 4x250GB. As disk space
is low we'd like to replace it with 4x1000GB.

We already found a supported disk, hotpluggable, etc.

Now after subsequently replacing the drives how can we expand the RAID set
to a net of 3TB (the controller does support sets that large). I scanned
the manual and FAQ at areca but couldn't find any pointer on how we would
go about that.

Anyone been there done that?

thank
martin

--
http://noneisyours.marcher.name
http://feeds.feedburner.com/NoneIsYours

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Rick Thomas

we own an areca 1210 and currently have a RAID5 with 4x250GB. As
disk space

is low we'd like to replace it with 4x1000GB.

We already found a supported disk, hotpluggable, etc.

Now after subsequently replacing the drives how can we expand the
RAID set
to a net of 3TB (the controller does support sets that large). I
scanned
the manual and FAQ at areca but couldn't find any pointer on how we
would

go about that.

Anyone been there done that?

Whatever you decide to do...

Do a full backup first!

Seriously, rent a tape drive for the duration of the process if you
have to, but don't try to wing-it without a backup.

Rick

Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Martin Marcher

Rick Thomas wrote:
> Whatever you decide to do...
>
> Do a full backup first!

Been there done that. Since that (not so amusing) memory I do have cyclic
backups with the option to trigger it whenever needed (like now)

martin

Old 01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Martin Marcher

Martin Marcher wrote:
> we own an areca 1210 and currently have a RAID5 with 4x250GB. As disk
> space is low we'd like to replace it with 4x1000GB.
>
> We already found a supported disk, hotpluggable, etc.
>
> Now after subsequently replacing the drives how can we expand the RAID set
> to a net of 3TB (the controller does support sets that large). I scanned
> the manual and FAQ at areca but couldn't find any pointer on how we would
> go about that.
>
> Anyone been there done that?

To answer myself and for the reference of someone else:

You need to update the firmware to at least: V1.43 2007-4-17

Then get the archttp from the areca site (get the newest!)

after that you can "RESETCAPACITY Raid Set # 00" enter in the
"Rescue Raid Set" screen. It will recognise the new sizes.

Proceed as normal (add VolumeSets, expand a volumeset whatever...)

hope it saves someone some time...