FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Paul Scott
 
Default xorg video parameter changes

I have just installed sid on a Portege 4010 that I just acquired. I
used the very latest lenny network installer. I installed all
packages beyond the base install at my control with aptitude.


The whole screen isn't being used. It looks like it is using 800x600
out of the available 1024x768. The xorg.conf has basically *no*
video infcrmation. sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p<low|medium|high> gives no
opportunity to detect or choose the video card or monitor.


I have googled for quite a while and not found how to get control of
this process. Possibly I am missing an xorg related package. I
didn't install xorg just every other xorg related package that looked
necessary. Icewm is running just fine.


TIA for any clues.

Paul Scott



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default xorg video parameter changes

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:51:46PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> I have just installed sid on a Portege 4010 that I just acquired. I used
> the very latest lenny network installer. I installed all packages beyond
> the base install at my control with aptitude.
>
> The whole screen isn't being used. It looks like it is using 800x600 out
> of the available 1024x768. The xorg.conf has basically *no* video
> infcrmation. sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p<low|medium|high> gives no opportunity
> to detect or choose the video card or monitor.

That should be 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'

> I have googled for quite a while and not found how to get control of this
> process. Possibly I am missing an xorg related package. I didn't install
> xorg just every other xorg related package that looked necessary. Icewm is
> running just fine.

Please post the output of 'lspci | grep VGA' and
'dpkg -l *xorg* | grep ii' to see if anything is missing.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Paul Scott
 
Default xorg video parameter changes

Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:51:46PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

I have just installed sid on a Portege 4010 that I just acquired. I used
the very latest lenny network installer. I installed all packages beyond
the base install at my control with aptitude.


The whole screen isn't being used. It looks like it is using 800x600 out
of the available 1024x768. The xorg.conf has basically *no* video
infcrmation. sudo dpkg-reconfigure -p<low|medium|high> gives no opportunity
to detect or choose the video card or monitor.



That should be 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg'


It was. (many times)

I have googled for quite a while and not found how to get control of this
process. Possibly I am missing an xorg related package. I didn't install
xorg just every other xorg related package that looked necessary. Icewm is
running just fine.



Please post the output of 'lspci | grep VGA'


01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1
(rev 82)




and
'dpkg -l *xorg* | grep ii' to see if anything is missing.

ii xorg-docs 1:1.4-2
Miscellaneous documentation for the X.Org so
ii xserver-xorg 1:7.3+10 the
X.Org X server
ii xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.1~git20080105-1 Xorg
X server - core server
ii xserver-xorg-input-all 1:7.3+10 the
X.Org X server -- input driver metapacka
ii xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:1.2.0-1
X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.2.2-3
X.Org X server -- keyboard input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.2.3-2
X.Org X server -- mouse input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 0.14.7~git20070706-2
Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree86
ii xserver-xorg-input-wacom 0.7.9.3-2
X.Org X server -- Wacom input driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-all 1:7.3+10 the
X.Org X server -- output driver metapack
ii xserver-xorg-video-apm 1:1.1.1-10
X.Org X server -- APM display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-ark 1:0.6.0-9
X.Org X server -- ark display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.7.197-1
X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-chips 1:1.1.1-9
X.Org X server -- Chips display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1:1.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- Cirrus display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-cyrix 1:1.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- Cyrix display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-dummy 1:0.2.0-7
X.Org X server -- dummy display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-fbdev 1:0.3.1-4
X.Org X server -- fbdev display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-glint 1:1.1.1-8
X.Org X server -- Glint display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-i128 1:1.2.1-4
X.Org X server -- i128 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-i740 1:1.1.0-7
X.Org X server -- i740 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-imstt 1:1.1.0-7
X.Org X server -- IMSTT display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.2.0-1
X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display d
ii xserver-xorg-video-mga 1:1.4.7.dfsg.1-3
X.Org X server -- MGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-neomagic 1:1.1.1-8
X.Org X server -- Neomagic display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-newport 1:0.2.1-4
X.Org X server -- Newport display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-nsc 1:2.8.3-2
X.Org X server -- NSC display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-nv 1:2.1.6-1
X.Org X server -- NV display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-rendition 1:4.1.3.dfsg.1-4
X.Org X server -- Rendition display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-s3 1:0.5.0-4
X.Org X server -- legacy S3 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-s3virge 1:1.9.1-7
X.Org X server -- S3 ViRGE display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-savage 1:2.1.3-5
X.Org X server -- Savage display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion 1:1.5.1-3
X.Org X server -- SiliconMotion display driv
ii xserver-xorg-video-sis 1:0.9.3-6
X.Org X server -- SiS display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-sisusb 1:0.8.1-9
X.Org X server -- SiS USB display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tdfx 1:1.3.0-6
X.Org X server -- tdfx display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tga 1:1.1.0-9
X.Org X server -- TGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-trident 1:1.2.3-6
X.Org X server -- Trident display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-tseng 1:1.1.1-4
X.Org X server -- Tseng display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-v4l 0.1.1-6
X.Org X server -- Video 4 Linux display driv
ii xserver-xorg-video-vesa 1:1.3.0-4
X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-vga 1:4.1.0-8
X.Org X server -- VGA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-via 1:0.2.2-5
X.Org X server -- VIA display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-vmware 1:10.15.2-1
X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-voodoo 1:1.1.1-5
X.Org X server -- Voodoo display driver


Thanks,

Paul


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org