FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Bob McGowan
 
Default Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 09/01/2008, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

It is strange that hal isn't mounting it. Is hal running properly (try
lshal).


I got lots of output from that command, so I assume that HAL is running.


You can mount in userspace using pmount /dev/sdb1. It will then mount
under /media/sdb1 with read-write privileges for the user that mounted
the drive. If you want a user to be able to read-write with a
root-mount, make sure you state the proper rights in the fstab-entry.
Make a group that is allowed to read-write to the device, and add
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto rw,users,noauto,gid=xxx,umask=007 0 0
with xxx replaced by the id of that group (or give system wide
read-write privileges by stating umask=000)
As fat doesn't support a proper security-model, you have to specify that
yourself. Else only root can read.
Good luck!


Thanks, I did not know about pmount. I'll remove the fstab entry and
use pmount from now on.

I'd still like to get HAL mounting this disk. I installed and maintain
a dozen or so friends' ubuntu, and if they ever come across this I'd
like to have a solution ready.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?


You might want to look into automounting. Take a look at these two
articles, on udev naming and setting up autofs, for details.


http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/126
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/127

The advantages with automounting are that you don't have to do anything,
just access a file or directory on the device to mount it, stop access
and unplug it (umount is automatic).


This last could be an issue, though, since you must have stopped access
with all programs before autofs will do the umount.


--
Bob McGowan
 
Old 01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

On 01/09/08 15:35, Bob McGowan wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 09/01/2008, Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

It is strange that hal isn't mounting it. Is hal running properly (try
lshal).


I got lots of output from that command, so I assume that HAL is running.


You can mount in userspace using pmount /dev/sdb1. It will then mount
under /media/sdb1 with read-write privileges for the user that mounted
the drive. If you want a user to be able to read-write with a
root-mount, make sure you state the proper rights in the fstab-entry.
Make a group that is allowed to read-write to the device, and add
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb auto rw,users,noauto,gid=xxx,umask=007 0 0
with xxx replaced by the id of that group (or give system wide
read-write privileges by stating umask=000)
As fat doesn't support a proper security-model, you have to specify that
yourself. Else only root can read.
Good luck!


Thanks, I did not know about pmount. I'll remove the fstab entry and
use pmount from now on.

I'd still like to get HAL mounting this disk. I installed and maintain
a dozen or so friends' ubuntu, and if they ever come across this I'd
like to have a solution ready.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?


You might want to look into automounting. Take a look at these two
articles, on udev naming and setting up autofs, for details.


http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/126
http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/127

The advantages with automounting are that you don't have to do anything,
just access a file or directory on the device to mount it, stop access
and unplug it (umount is automatic).


GNOME and KDE are *supposed* to do this for you.

If he uses GNOME, does OP have gnome-mount and gnome-volume-manager
installed?


This last could be an issue, though, since you must have stopped access
with all programs before autofs will do the umount.


Definitely. Especially when copying an important doc to a thumb
drive, and it's only 1/2 copied when you tank it out.


Besides, explicitly unmounting devices is a good habit to get into,
and I know for a fact that even Linux novices can easily be trained
to do it.


--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-10-2008, 06:44 AM
"Dotan Cohen"
 
Default Absolutely cannot write to USB drive

On 09/01/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> GNOME and KDE are *supposed* to do this for you.

That is what I would like. I use KDE.

> If he uses GNOME, does OP have gnome-mount and gnome-volume-manager
> installed?

What is the KDE equivilent? Note that when I insert a CD, the "what to
do" dialog _does_ pop up. Just not with this USB disk-on-key (I
haven't checked others).

> > This last could be an issue, though, since you must have stopped access
> > with all programs before autofs will do the umount.
>
> Definitely. Especially when copying an important doc to a thumb
> drive, and it's only 1/2 copied when you tank it out.
>
> Besides, explicitly unmounting devices is a good habit to get into,
> and I know for a fact that even Linux novices can easily be trained
> to do it.

I always unmount devices before pulling them out. On linux, I even run
sync in a terminal before disconnecting.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org