Old 01-08-2008, 09:19 PM
KS

Default OT: dying disk - data recovery recommendations

Hi,

I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.

I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have
shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?

Thanks,
/KS

Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Ron Johnson

I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run

Linux or OSX?

the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.

I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have

Busy? Isn't it *supposed* to be busily sending 6GB of data across
the wire?

Or does "busy" mean something else?

shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?

What happens when you fsck it?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown

Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
KS

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/08/08 16:19, KS wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
>
> Linux or OSX?

OS X Tiger on the G4(PPC)

>> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
>> machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
>> the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.
>>
>> I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
>> busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have
>
> Busy? Isn't it *supposed* to be busily sending 6GB of data across the
> wire?
>
> Or does "busy" mean something else?

I agree 6GB will take time to transfer, but there was no change in the
size of the directory where I was dumping. Plus the activity monitor on
the G4 was not showing any network transfer. I did wait for about half
an hour though.

>> shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
>> the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
>> couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
>> recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
>> will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?
>
> What happens when you fsck it?

Didn't try that yet. Will do that tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
/KS

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
KS

Ron Johnson wrote:

>> shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
>> the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
>> couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
>> recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
>> will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?
>
> What happens when you fsck it?

I have a feeling that Apple Hardware Diagnostic check utility CD might
have done that. But I will try it tomorrow before anything else.

/KS

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/08/08 16:42, KS wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 01/08/08 16:19, KS wrote:

[...]

So the drive light was lit, but nothing was happening?

shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?

What happens when you fsck it?

Didn't try that yet. Will do that tomorrow morning.

I'd also "# tail -f /var/log/syslog" (or the BSD equivalent) while
you are trying the transfer.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
KS

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/08/08 16:42, KS wrote:
>>
>> I agree 6GB will take time to transfer, but there was no change in the
>> size of the directory where I was dumping. Plus the activity monitor on
>> the G4 was not showing any network transfer. I did wait for about half
>> an hour though.
>
> So the drive light was lit, but nothing was happening?

drive light? No light for it on the laptop. But it was spinning and
making some noise - regular spinning but a bit noisy. The noise didn't
have any clunk or really bad sound to tell that it was already in a bad
condition.

/KS

Old 01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:19:54PM -0500, KS wrote:
> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
> machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
> the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.
>
> I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
> busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have
> shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
> the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
> couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
> recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
> will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?

Find a way to attach that drive to a functional system. One way would
be to use a 2.5" portable USB enclosure. Then see if the functional
system can dd it to an image file. Then you can try fscking and
mounting the image. Copy the image file at each step.

Doug.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Jochen Schulz

KS:

> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk.

I am in exactly the same situation, currently. My approach is to use
dd_rescue (package name: ddrescue) to dump the disk's content and now I
am about to run testdisk on this dump to find the partition structure
and any file still intact.

Unfortunately, testdisk cannot write Mac partition tables itself, but I
plan to use parted for that, using the values found by testdisk. If it
works, I am going to run testdisk again to recover files from the
partitions. It already helped me recover a friend's friend's files from
an almost dead USB thumb drive, so I am quite optimistic that it will
help me out again.

J.
--
We are lining up to see you fall flat on your face.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 AM
KS

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:19:54PM -0500, KS wrote:
>> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
>> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
>> machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
>> the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.
>>
>> I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
>> busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have
>> shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
>> the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
>> couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
>> recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
>> will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?
>>

> Find a way to attach that drive to a functional system. One way would
> be to use a 2.5" portable USB enclosure. Then see if the functional
> system can dd it to an image file. Then you can try fscking and
> mounting the image. Copy the image file at each step.
>
> Doug.

Got the enclosure but taking apart the G4 was a tough task. Could only
accomplish it today. Will start working on the disk tomorrow. But
wouldn't dd stall after some time as rsync did after transferring 350MB
of data? Isn't dd_rescue a better choice in this case?

/KS

Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 09:47:56PM -0500, KS wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 05:19:54PM -0500, KS wrote:
> >> I have a friend's G4(PPC) which seems to have a dying disk. He had run
> >> the Apple disk utility and it reported and error with the IDE disk. The
> >> machine just halts sometimes, with the disk trying to read something and
> >> the only way to shut down the machine was the power button.
> >>
> >> I tried doing an rsync to a remote directory and it made the hard disk
> >> busy after sending about 350MB (total home data is around 6GB). I have
> >> shut down the machine and trying to list various options of salvaging
> >> the data from the HDD. I was reading up on dd_rescue (had tried it on a
> >> couple of CDs earlier), foremost, and Sleuthkit. Does anyone have any
> >> recommendations on how to proceed in this case? Any live CD(PPC) which
> >> will be more helpful than the systemrescueCD (0.2.0 PPC)?
> >>

> > Find a way to attach that drive to a functional system. One way would
> > be to use a 2.5" portable USB enclosure. Then see if the functional
> > system can dd it to an image file. Then you can try fscking and
> > mounting the image. Copy the image file at each step.
>
> Got the enclosure but taking apart the G4 was a tough task. Could only
> accomplish it today. Will start working on the disk tomorrow. But
> wouldn't dd stall after some time as rsync did after transferring 350MB
> of data? Isn't dd_rescue a better choice in this case?

Perhaps, I've never needed to go that far. The one time I thought I had
a hard drive go bad and put it into another computer, it didn't get any
errors on boot. I just fsck'ed it and it was fine. Turned out to be a
hardware problem on the origional computer.

My only experience with a laptop hard drive is on my IBM Thinkpad 600E.
On that, you don't have to tear apart the unit: one screw releases a
cover and you slide out the hard drive.

So I've never actually needed dd_rescue so I don't know if it would be
better. As long as its not worse, then just that. The important thing
as I understand it is to get an image of the drive once then power off
the drive. Do all your fixing on a copy of the filesystem image. Once
you know what that needs, you can do it to the drive itself.

Doug.