Old 02-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Camaleón

Default how to find bad blocks

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:44:02 +0100, Vadkan Jozsef wrote:

> Besides the badblocks app?
>
> We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are no
> bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.
>
> we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> e.g. bad blocks on it..:

You can use the manufacturer's tools provided for that same purpose.

I dunno for Samsung, but Seagate has SeaTools¹ (only ata/sata) that can
be run from a live cd and works with other hard disk brands.

¹ http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
James Zuelow

I think the OP just needs enough data to convince Samsung that the drive is bad so he can RMA it. If the drive is at fault the SMART data should do it (especially since the first thing Samsung will do when they get the drive is query the SMART data...)

Since the drive is part of a RAID array I don't think you can trust programs such as badblocks or ddrescue to accurately map bad "blocks" on the drive. Since a logical device like /dev/sda1 would represent more than one physical disk badblocks might be able to tell you that the array is failing or degraded, but mapping particular bad sectors on an individual disk in an array would be a pretty nifty trick. Similarly ddrescue would tell you that it could not recover parts of the partition, but again trying to figure out which disk in an array is at fault might be difficult. Hopefully it's a RAID 5 or similar so no data was actually lost. If either of these tools can report faults to that level I'd love to be corrected -- it would have been useful to me in the past!

The other advantage of querying smart data is that you can do that while the disk is online -- no need to boot with a manufacturer diagnostic CD or bring a production array down to copy it with ddrescue or do a desctructive write test with badblocks -w. That is important in the case of live data people are working with.

(However if the disk is part of something like a RAID 1 or 5 then the OP can just pull the drive and do whatever tests he or Samsung wants on it while the array rebuilds onto a replacement...)

Just my 2c.

James

Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Vadkan Jozsef put forth on 2/9/2010 11:44 AM:
> Besides the badblocks app?
>
> We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are no
> bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.

This is probably because there are no bad blocks on it.

> we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> e.g. bad blocks on it..:

If "falling out of raid" means your hardware PCI/X/e/mobo mounted "real" RAID
card is taking this drive "off line", usually this is because of a firmware
issue. The firmware on the RAID card doesn't want to play with the firmware on
the drive. This most often happens when a drive of dissimilar
brand/make/model/size/fw_rev is added into an existing array of identical
drives, or a group of identical drives is used but the controller doesn't like
the drive firmware rev, period. In either case, "good" drives will be kicked
off line by the controller. I went through a wacky case of this back in the
late 1990s with Mylex DAC960 cards kicking Seagate ST118202LC drives off-line
once a week (or more). Five DAC960s and 40 identical drives. Those DAC960s
just didn't like that ST118202 firmware. These were U2W 80MB/s drives and the
DAC960s were limited to UW or 40MB/s. Both Mylex and Seagate tech support said
this was not the problem, that is was a firmware bug in the drives unrelated to
bus speed. Took a while but we eventually got all the drives replaced. That is
the most array rebuilding I've ever done, or probably ever will.

To get RMA authorization in this situation usually only requires telling the
vendor what RAID controller you're using and what drive configuration. It
always helps if you bought all components from the same vendor, and helps even
more if you got a verbal or written commitment that the card and drives would
work together in the configuration you had planned. If it's a low ball no name
vendor that doesn't sell both RAID cards and drives, they may tell you to ____
yourself, that the drive is fine. This is one huge disadvantage of using low
end vendors and why corporations usually buy the bulk of their hardware from a
single vendor.

--
Stan

Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Hadi Motamedi

*

> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:39:35 -0600
> From: stan@hardwarefreak.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: how to find bad blocks
>
> Vadkan Jozsef put forth on 2/9/2010 11:44 AM:
> > Besides the badblocks app?
> >
> > We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are no
> > bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.
>
> This is probably because there are no bad blocks on it.
>
> > we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> > e.g. bad blocks on it..:
>
> If "falling out of raid" means your hardware PCI/X/e/mobo mounted "real" RAID
> card is taking this drive "off line", usually this is because of a firmware
> issue. The firmware on the RAID card doesn't want to play with the firmware on
> the drive. This most often happens when a drive of dissimilar
> brand/make
/model/size/fw_rev is added into an existing array of identical
> drives, or a group of identical drives is used but the controller doesn't like
> the drive firmware rev, period. In either case, "good" drives will be kicked
> off line by the controller. I went through a wacky case of this back in the
> late 1990s with Mylex DAC960 cards kicking Seagate ST118202LC drives off-line
> once a week (or more). Five DAC960s and 40 identical drives. Those DAC960s
> just didn't like that ST118202 firmware. These were U2W 80MB/s drives and the
> DAC960s were limited to UW or 40MB/s. Both Mylex and Seagate tech support said
> this was not the problem, that is was a firmware bug in the drives unrelated to
> bus speed. Took a while but we eventually got all the drives replaced. That is
> the most array rebuilding I've ever done, or probably ever will.
>
> To get RMA authorization in this situation usually only requir
es telling the
> vendor what RAID controller you're using and what drive configuration. It
> always helps if you bought all components from the same vendor, and helps even
> more if you got a verbal or written commitment that the card and drives would
> work together in the configuration you had planned. If it's a low ball no name
> vendor that doesn't sell both RAID cards and drives, they may tell you to ____
> yourself, that the drive is fine. This is one huge disadvantage of using low
> end vendors and why corporations usually buy the bulk of their hardware from a
> single vendor.
>
> --
> Stan

*

Use 'fsck.ext3'

*

Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Vadkan Jozsef wrote:
> We have a samsung hdd, that keeps falling out of raid, but there are no
> bad blocks on it, according to "badblocks" prog.
>
> we would like to return it [warranty], but it would be better to find
> e.g. bad blocks on it..:

As others wrote, use the smartctl program from smartmontools. I had some
"strange" problems with a samsung drive, I bought recently. I just run
'long' smartctl tests on the drive and it would fail them. I sent the
drive back with the output of 'smartctl -a /dev/whatever' and got a
replacement from the shop.

HTH,

Johannes

<===================>
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining
LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 265
1651557882
# 2 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 221
1651557882
# 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 20% 171
1651557882
# 4 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 171
1651557882
# 5 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 168
1651557882
# 6 Short offline Completed without error 00% 165
-
# 7 Short offline Aborted by host 10% 165
-
# 8 Short offline Completed without error 00% 161
-
# 9 Short offline Aborted by host 90% 161
-
#10 Extended offline Completed: read failure 40% 150
1651555500
#11 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 141
1170387107
#12 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 130
1170387107
#13 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 108
-
#14 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 40% 96
-
#15 Extended offline Completed: read failure 40% 83
1651556392
#16 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 57
1334488458
#17 Extended offline Completed: read failure 50% 52
1334488458

- --
Johannes

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the
humble reasoning of a single individual.
- - Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Vadkan Jozsef

pastebin.com/f5a5c595a

i just started badblocks -w