Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Sthu Deus

Default HDD powersaving at music playing.

Good day.

I want that my HDD be turned off most the time. I have laptop-mode installed, and tuned as seems me good, but there is one problem that I think prevents it from stopping - when music is playing, how I can load a lot of files into RAM so that a mplayer would not read from the HDD?

Thanks for Your time.

PS Please, reply to the list.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
ludovico van

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good day.
>

> how I can load a lot of files into RAM so that a mplayer would not read from the HDD?

something like
$ cat[list of files] > /dev/null
should cache the files. If you have enough unused ram they will stay in memory.

or creating a ramfs and putting your files in it...
(not tmpfs, it also uses swap)

bye

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, ludovico:

>something like
>$ cat[list of files] > /dev/null
>should cache the files. If you have enough unused ram they will stay in memory.

I want to use 1 gb for that only - latter another 1 gb should be read from HDD (it should awake from sleep). Is it possible, may w/ dd assistance?

>or creating a ramfs and putting your files in it...
> (not tmpfs, it also uses swap)

I have no swap, RAM only. Though it is impossible to make suspend working stably.