Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Jeppe ěland

Default unix2dos/dos2unix no longer included in tofrodos 1.7.8.debian.1-2

After upgrading tofrodos to 1.7.8.debian.1-2, dos2unix and unix2dos
are no longer installed.

The release notes say they have been dropped so that the dos2unix
package can be introduced ... but as far as I can tell, there is no
such package yet.

Any plan of adding this package?

Regards,
-Jeppe

Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Camaleˇn

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:58:55 -0800, Jeppe ěland wrote:

> After upgrading tofrodos to 1.7.8.debian.1-2, dos2unix and unix2dos are
> no longer installed.
>
> The release notes say they have been dropped so that the dos2unix
> package can be introduced ... but as far as I can tell, there is no such
> package yet.
>
> Any plan of adding this package?

As per "/usr/share/doc/tofrodos/NEWS.Debian.gz" you need to make a
symlink to point the new binary ("fromdos").

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Mike McClain

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 01:52:50PM -0800, Jeppe ??land wrote:
> After upgrading tofrodos to 1.7.8.debian.1-2, dos2unix and unix2dos
> are no longer installed.

Until then roll your own as:

# todos use: todos < unix_file > dos_file
# dos files end each line in a CR/LF pair, add CR
# 15 = x0d = CR, 12 = x0a = LF
awk '{printf("%s
", $0);}'

# fromdos use: fromdos < dos_file > unix_file
# dos files end every line with CR/LF, remove the carriage return
# 15 = x0d = "
" = CR, 32 = x1a = DosEOF = ^Z
tr -d "1532"

HTH,
Mike
--
Satisfied user of Linux since 1997.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Jeppe ěland

>> After upgrading tofrodos to 1.7.8.debian.1-2, dos2unix and unix2dos are
>> no longer installed.
>>
>> The release notes say they have been dropped so that the dos2unix
>> package can be introduced ... but as far as I can tell, there is no such
>> package yet.
>>
>> Any plan of adding this package?
>
> As per "/usr/share/doc/tofrodos/NEWS.Debian.gz" you need to make a
> symlink to point the new binary ("fromdos").

Yep I had already done that.

The question is: Are there any plans of actually introducing the
dos2unix package?
(it would have been nice if it was introduced when the links were removed)

Regards,
-Jeppe

Old 02-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Teemu Likonen

* 2010-02-08 11:58 (-0800), Jeppe ěland wrote:

> After upgrading tofrodos to 1.7.8.debian.1-2, dos2unix and unix2dos
> are no longer installed.

Do you need the particular tool or just the functionality? Recode is
excellent in converting files. It can convert between LF and CR+LF line
endings and between different encodings. Examples:

recode /CR../CR-LF -- file.txt
recode Windows-1252/CR-LF..UTF-8/LF -- file.txt
recode ../Quoted-Printable -- file.txt
recode ISO-8859-1/BASE64..UTF-8 -- file.txt

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Camaleˇn

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:59:30 -0800, Jeppe ěland wrote:

> The question is: Are there any plans of actually introducing the
> dos2unix package?
> (it would have been nice if it was introduced when the links were
> removed)

Maybe were removed because upstream package has also "renamed" those
packages:

dos2unix -> fromdos
unix2dos -> todos

So, it looks like a simple "renaming". Are you lacking any features? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Jeppe ěland

>> The question is: Are there any plans of actually introducing the
>> dos2unix package?
>> (it would have been nice if it was introduced when the links were
>> removed)
>
> Maybe were removed because upstream package has also "renamed" those
> packages:
>
> dos2unix -> fromdos
> unix2dos -> todos
>
> So, it looks like a simple "renaming". Are you lacking any features? :-?

I'm not sure I understand you.

The "tofrodos" package implements the conversion utilities, and until
the latest version installed symlinks for commonly used names for
these functions.
In the latest version, the symlinks were removed, and now everybody
has to manually make symlinks or aliases - which is not convenient.

The release notes for the latest version reads:

> tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low
> * Change maintainer name
> * Drop dos2unix and unix2dos symlinks, to allow introduction of original
> dos2unix package. (remove dh_link call and add NEWS about that)

This very much implies that a new package (with similar/identical
functionality but different name) will be introduced.

What I'm missing is that package.

Regards,
-Jeppe

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Camaleˇn

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:33:05 -0800, Jeppe ěland wrote:

>> Maybe were removed because upstream package has also "renamed" those
>> packages:
>>
>> dos2unix -> fromdos
>> unix2dos -> todos
>>
>> So, it looks like a simple "renaming". Are you lacking any features?
>> :-?
>
> I'm not sure I understand you.
>
> The "tofrodos" package implements the conversion utilities, and until
> the latest version installed symlinks for commonly used names for these
> functions.
> In the latest version, the symlinks were removed, and now everybody has
> to manually make symlinks or aliases - which is not convenient.

Yes, that is what you can read from the docs.

> The release notes for the latest version reads:
>
>> tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low
>> * Change maintainer name
>> * Drop dos2unix and unix2dos symlinks, to allow introduction of
>> original
>> dos2unix package. (remove dh_link call and add NEWS about that)
>
> This very much implies that a new package (with similar/identical
> functionality but different name) will be introduced.
>
> What I'm missing is that package.

You only have to follow the steps provided for making the symlink to the
new binaries:

***
tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low

With this release the symlinks "unix2dos" and "dos2unix" are dropped from
the package. This will allow the introduction of the original dos2unix
package, which also supports conversion to MacOS style files.

Should you have scripts depending on these symlinks, I recommend using
shell-aliases, like in the following example for bash:

alias unix2dos="/usr/bin/fromdos -u" (or todos)
alias dos2unix="/usr/bin/fromdos -d" (or just fromdos)

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <xxx@debian.org> Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:59:11
+0100
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-02-09 20:33 +0100, Jeppe ěland wrote:

> The release notes for the latest version reads:
>
>> tofrodos (1.7.8.debian.1-2) unstable; urgency=low
>> * Change maintainer name
>> * Drop dos2unix and unix2dos symlinks, to allow introduction of original
>> dos2unix package. (remove dh_link call and add NEWS about that)
>
> This very much implies that a new package (with similar/identical
> functionality but different name) will be introduced.
>
> What I'm missing is that package.

It has been ITP'ed: http://bugs.debian.org/561307.

Sven