Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Mike Viau

Default Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

Hello Debian community,

I have been looking for a guide to convert an rpm package (specifically a kernel - ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm) over into a deb binary or even a tarball will work for me.

Unfortunately my internet searches are resulting in very old means to accomplish this task.

http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/kern2deb/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-extract-an-rpm-package-without-installing-it.html

I have tried "alien -t myrpmfile.rpm" and "rpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv" with no success.

Therefore I was hoping someone could devise a quick how to for making recent rpm based kernels into a debian binary.

Your time with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

*

-M

Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:58:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:

> Hello Debian community,
>
> I have been looking for a guide to convert an rpm package (specifically
> a kernel -
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)
> over into a deb binary or even a tarball will work for me.
>
> Unfortunately my internet searches are resulting in very old means
> to accomplish this task.
>
> http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/kern2deb/
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-extract-an-rpm-package-without-installing-it.html
>
> I have tried "alien -t myrpmfile.rpm" and
> "rpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv" with no success.
>
> Therefore I was hoping someone could devise a quick how to for making
> recent rpm based kernels into a debian binary.
>
> Your time with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!

As you have discovered, there is an "alien" package for dealing with rpm
packages, but it is MUCH MUCH better to install a native Debian package,
ESPECIALLY if it is a kernel. What specific real-world problem are you
trying to solve? Why is a Debian stock kernel not adequate? Is there some
kernel option that is enabled in the Redhat kernel that is not enabled
in the Debian kernel? Is the Redhat kernel based on a release of the Linux
kernel that is not available in Debian?

If you need to build a custom kernel in Debian, I would recommend

http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm

That happens to be my own web page and I am in the process of updating
it even as I write this e-mail, but my changes haven't been moved into
production yet.

I guess the basic question to be answered, though, is why you think
you need this specific kernel from a Redhat system installed on a Debian
system.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Mike Viau

Very fair question.

I need the xen patches that are incorperated in the kernel.

(ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)

I also happen to know the kernel is more recent then my 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel in Debian Lenny.

I am aware that I will be giving up the Debian specific patches applied to the kernel. I quess I just hope to not run into issue there. If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why the SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.

I would like the ability to use the ext4 filesystem as well as better hardware support/modules for the e1000e network driver and lastly for better SATA/RAID support.

*

-M

> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:59:32 -0500
> From: zlinuxman@wowway.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm
>
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 12:58:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:
> >
> > Hello Debian community,
> >
> > I have been looking for a guide to convert an rpm package (specifically
> > a kernel -
> > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)
> > over into a deb binary or even a tarball will work for me.
> >
> > Unfortunately my internet searches are resulting in very old means
> > to accomplish this task.
> >
> > http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/kern2deb/
> >
> > http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-extract-an-rpm-package-without-installing-it.html
> >
> > I have tried "alien -t myrpmfile.rpm" and
> > "rpm2cpio myrpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv" with no success.
> >
> > Therefore I was hoping someone could devise a quick how to for making
> > recent rpm based kernels into a debian binary.
> >
> > Your time with this matter would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> As you have discovered, there is an "alien" package for dealing with rpm
> packages, but it is MUCH MUCH better to install a native Debian package,
> ESPECIALLY if it is a kernel. What specific real-world problem are you
> trying to solve? Why is a Debian stock kernel not adequate? Is there some
> kernel option that is enabled in the Redhat kernel that is not enabled
> in the Debian kernel? Is the Redhat kernel based on a release of the Linux
> kernel that is not available in Debian?
>
> If you need to build a custom kernel in Debian, I would recommend
>
> http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/Kernel.htm
>
> That happens to be my own web page and I am in the process of updating
> it even as I write this e-mail, but my changes haven't been moved into
> production yet.
>
> I guess the basic question to be answered, though, is why you think
> you need this specific kernel from a Redhat system installed on a Debian
> system.

All your Hotmail contacts on your phone. Try it now.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Mike Viau put forth on 2/8/2010 1:24 PM:

> If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why the SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.

I do. The files available from kernel.org are source, not binary. They are
vanilla. Properly configured and built, a kernel.org kernel will work with any
distro atop. The SuSE kernel you want is a binary, built specifically for the
SuSE distribution. If it's anything like the SLES/SLED kernels, it includes
every Linux module, the kitchen sink, and the entire kitchen as well.

> I would like the ability to use the ext4 filesystem as well as better hardware support/modules for the e1000e network driver and lastly for better SATA/RAID support.

XFS is better than ext4, esp for virtualization. e1000 and RAID/SATA support
are menuconfig check boxes, as are all the features you want.

You are a prime candidate for building your own kernel, based on requirements.
But, maybe you aren't technically up to the task?

I'm currently running kernel.org 2.6.31.1 (i686), Lenny on top, with

SMP
EXT2/3
XFS
megaraid
libata, sata_sil
PIIX_IDE
e100
netfilter
etc

not as modules, all built into the kernel, no initrd, and it's small and fast:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.5M Jan 15 04:06 vmlinuz-2.6.31.1

Maybe it's too easy for me to say "build your own kernel, it's easy." I've been
doing my own kernels since around 2002, so I've had some practice. And I did
make mistakes along the way. Good learning experiences, all.

--
Stan

Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:24:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:

> Very fair question.
>
> I need the xen patches that are incorperated in the kernel.
....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5 ....+....6....+....7....+....8

> (ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/master/x86_64/kernel-xen.rpm)
>
> I also happen to know the kernel is more recent then my 2.6.26-2-amd64 kernel
> in Debian Lenny.
>
> I am aware that I will be giving up the Debian specific patches applied to
> the kernel. I quess I just hope to not run into issue there.
> If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why the
> SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.
>
> I would like the ability to use the ext4 filesystem as well as better
> hardware support/modules for the e1000e network driver and lastly for better
> SATA/RAID support.

A few logistical items first:

1. Please don't "top post" but rather use the usenet ("bottom post") style of
quoting. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting for
more information.

2. Please try to keep your source lines to under 80 columns.

OK, there are two main issues here. First, why am I trying to discourage you
from using alien (or some other similar tool) to import a foreign package
into Debian? For that I refer you to the Debian FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-compat.en.html#s-otherpackages

The second issue. If you need a newer kernel than the 2.6.26 kernel used
by the stable release (Lenny), there are a couple of options.

If you are satisfied with the stable system except for the kernel, and want
a newer kernel, I suggest you try a newer kernel from
http://www.backports.org
Currently, there are 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 kernels available in backports.

If you want all the packages on your system at a newer level, you might
consider the testing (Squeeze) system. It currently has 2.6.30 and
2.6.32 kernels. But all the packages, not just the kernel, are newer.
We don't recommend this release for production use, but if you must
use hardware that is not supported by the stable release, sometimes this
is your only option.

If you want to live really dangerously, and run the latest bleeding edge
code, you might try the unstable (Sid) release. Be prepared for things
to break.

Debian has always been a "trailing edge" distribution as far as its stable
release is concerned. We are more oriented towards stability and
reliability than we are with including the latest new thing as soon
as possible. If you want to run Debian and you want the latest new
thing, you're going to need to go with the testing or even unstable,
in some cases. But beware. testing and unstable are called that for
a reason.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 08 February 2010 14:01:26 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:24:06 -0500 (EST), Mike Viau wrote:
> > I need the xen patches that are incorperated in the kernel.
>
> > I also happen to know the kernel is more recent then my 2.6.26-2-amd64
> > kernel in Debian Lenny.
>
> The second issue. If you need a newer kernel than the 2.6.26 kernel used
> by the stable release (Lenny), there are a couple of options.
>
> If you are satisfied with the stable system except for the kernel, and want
> a newer kernel, I suggest you try a newer kernel from
> http://www.backports.org
>
> If you want all the packages on your system at a newer level, you might
> consider the testing (Squeeze) system.
>
> If you want to live really dangerously, and run the latest bleeding edge
> code, you might try the unstable (Sid) release. Be prepared for things
> to break.

bss@monster:~% apt-cache policy | grep release
release a=now
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia
Packages,a=experimental,l=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,c=main
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=unstable,l=Unofficial
Multimedia Packages,c=main
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=testing,l=Unofficial
Multimedia Packages,c=main
release v=None,o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,a=stable,l=Unofficial
Multimedia Packages,c=main
release v=None,o=Backports.org archive,a=lenny-backports,l=Backports.org
archive,c=non-free
release v=None,o=Backports.org archive,a=lenny-backports,l=Backports.org
archive,c=contrib
release v=None,o=Backports.org archive,a=lenny-backports,l=Backports.org
archive,c=main
release o=volatile.debian.org,a=stable,l=debian-volatile,c=non-free
release o=volatile.debian.org,a=stable,l=debian-volatile,c=contrib
release o=volatile.debian.org,a=stable,l=debian-volatile,c=main
release v=None,o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
release v=None,o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
release v=None,o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian-Security,c=main
release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian-Security,c=non-free
release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian-Security,c=main
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=non-free
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=contrib
release o=Debian,a=experimental,l=Debian,c=main
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=non-free
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
release o=Debian,a=unstable,l=Debian,c=main
release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=non-free
release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=contrib
release o=Debian,a=testing,l=Debian,c=main
release v=5.0.4,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian,c=non-free
release v=5.0.4,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian,c=contrib
release v=5.0.4,o=Debian,a=stable,l=Debian,c=main
bss@monster:~% aptitude search xen-amd64
p aufs-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Stackable unification
filesystem for Linux 2.6 on AM
p aufs-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Stackable unification
filesystem for Linux 2.6.26 on
p drbd8-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - RAID 1 over TCP/IP for Linux
2.6 on AMD64
p drbd8-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - RAID 1 over TCP/IP for Linux
2.6.26 on AMD64
p ipw2100-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
(ipw2100) driver modules for
p ipw2100-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 2100
(ipw2100) driver modules for
p ipw2200-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 and
2915ABG (ipw2200) driver
p ipw2200-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 and
2915ABG (ipw2200) driver
p ipw3945-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
(ipw3945) driver modules
p ipw3945-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 - Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
(ipw3945) driver modules
p iscsitarget-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - iSCSI Enterprise Target for
Linux 2.6 on AMD64
p iscsitarget-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - iSCSI Enterprise Target for
Linux 2.6.26 on AMD64
p ivtv-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - driver for the iTVC15 family
of MPEG codecs modules
p ivtv-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 - driver for the iTVC15 family
of MPEG codecs modules
p linux-headers-2.6-xen-amd64 - Header files for Linux 2.6-
xen-amd64
p linux-headers-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 - Header files for Linux
2.6.26-1-xen-amd64
p linux-headers-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Header files for Linux
2.6.26-2-xen-amd64
p linux-image-2.6-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6 image on AMD64,
oldstyle Xen support
p linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64,
oldstyle Xen support
p linux-image-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 image on AMD64,
oldstyle Xen support
p linux-image-xen-amd64 - Linux image on AMD64,
oldstyle Xen support
v linux-latest-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 -
p linux-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6 modules on AMD64
p linux-modules-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 modules on AMD64
p linux-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Linux 2.6.26 modules on AMD64
p linux-modules-xen-amd64 - Linux modules on AMD64
p loop-aes-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - loop-AES encryption for Linux
2.6 on AMD64
p loop-aes-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - loop-AES encryption for Linux
2.6.26 on AMD64
p lzma-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Lempel Ziv compression method
(LZMA) for Linux 2.6 o
p lzma-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Lempel Ziv compression method
(LZMA) for Linux 2.6.2
p nilfs2-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Log-structured snapshotting
filesystem for Linux 2.6
p nilfs2-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Log-structured snapshotting
filesystem for Linux 2.6
p redhat-cluster-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Redhat Cluster infrastructure
for Linux 2.6 on AMD64
p redhat-cluster-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Redhat Cluster infrastructure
for Linux 2.6.26 on AM
p rt73-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Driver for Ralink RT73
wireless network card modules
p rt73-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Driver for Ralink RT73
wireless network card modules
p speakup-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Screen review module for
Linux 2.6 on AMD64
p speakup-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Screen review module for
Linux 2.6.26 on AMD64
p squashfs-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - Compression filesystem for
Linux 2.6 on AMD64
p squashfs-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - Compression filesystem for
Linux 2.6.26 on AMD64
p tp-smapi-modules-2.6-xen-amd64 - ThinkPad hardware/firmware
access for Linux 2.6 on A
p tp-smapi-modules-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - ThinkPad hardware/firmware
access for Linux 2.6.26 o
p xen-linux-system-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 - XEN system with Linux 2.6.26
image on AMD64
p xen-linux-system-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64 - XEN system with Linux 2.6.26
image on AMD64
bss@monster:~%

I have stable, backports, testing, unstable, and even experimental. Sorry,
DDs have not yet packaged anything newer than 2.6.26 that includes the Xen
patches. I thought there were also some possible trademark issues with newer
Xen releases, so it's possible there's some delay there as well.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 08 February 2010 14:46:44 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I thought there were also some possible trademark issues with
> newer Xen releases, so it's possible there's some delay there as well.

Bug 391935 -- Done (not an issue)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:46:44 -0500 (EST), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> I have stable, backports, testing, unstable, and even experimental. Sorry,
> DDs have not yet packaged anything newer than 2.6.26 that includes the Xen
> patches. I thought there were also some possible trademark issues with newer
> Xen releases, so it's possible there's some delay there as well.

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about xen (isn't that a
particular sect of Buddhism? :-) ) but it looks to me like the xen
kernel patches have been mainstreamed since 2.6.26. See, for example,

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/linux-patch-debian-2.6.32

According to this web page, the xen patches are already included
in the Debian kernel source tree for 2.6.32.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Mike Viau

> From: bss@iguanasuicide.net
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm
> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:07:01 -0600
>
> On Monday 08 February 2010 14:46:44 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > I thought there were also some possible trademark issues with
> > newer Xen releases, so it's possible there's some delay there as well.
>
> Bug 391935 -- Done (not an issue)

Interesting, I didn't realize Xensource felt so particular about the Xen name. I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Boyd you really hit the nail on the head with regards to using Debian as a XEN Dom0 server.

Stephen Powell wrote:
>If you are satisfied with the stable system except for the kernel, and want
>a newer kernel, I suggest you try a newer kernel from
>http://www.backports.org
>Currently, there are 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 kernels available in backports.
Using the later Debian backport kernels will assist with drivers and modules but does not solve my problem with running a XEN Dom0. Thank you for the suggestion, and might I suggest that you add a walkthrough on your website for Debian users looking to use the stable Debian universal operating system with newer hardware.

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> If the kernel.org kernels can work with Debian I don't see a reason why
the SUSE kernel can not work with a Debian system either.

>I do. The files available from kernel.org are source, not binary. They are
>vanilla. Properly configured and built, a kernel.org kernel will work with any
>distro atop. The SuSE kernel you want is a binary, built specifically for the
>SuSE distribution. If it's anything like the SLES/SLED kernels, it includes
>every Linux module, the kitchen sink, and the entire kitchen as well.

Agreed I never took into consideration that the package was binary rather than
source. That said I was hoping to create a deb binary that will contain the binary
files (linux-image - /boot & /lib/modules) from the rpm and install them correctly.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:28:59 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about xen (isn't that a
> particular sect of Buddhism? :-) ) but it looks to me like the xen
> kernel patches have been mainstreamed since 2.6.26. See, for example,
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/linux-patch-debian-2.6.32

I guess I'm getting old and can't see. I just rechecked that page
and there's nothing in it about xen. ?!
Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
Sorry for the false lead.

The list of files contained in this package

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/all/linux-patch-debian-2.6.32/filelist

does contain one hit on the character string "xen", which is

/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.32/debian/features/all/module-firmware/0001-netxen-module-firmware-hints.patch.bz2

but that doesn't appear to be what we're looking for.

My apologies once again.