Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Stephen Powell

Default Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:44:23 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> I guess I'm getting old and can't see.

OK, let's try again. I did find this package

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64

But this is the hypervisor only, not the dom0 kernel that
needs to go with it. I also found this thread on
the debian-devel mailing list archive for January of 2010:

Keep following the thread with the "Thread Next" link.
It may provide some useful information.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Mike Viau

> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:17:37 -0500
> From: zlinuxman@wowway.com
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Looking for: A quick how to make a deb from a (kernel) rpm
>
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 16:44:23 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
> > I guess I'm getting old and can't see.
>
> OK, let's try again. I did find this package
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64

I have already created a xen-hypervisor-3.4.2-amd64 deb binary, but I trust the work of the Debian community more then mine

> But this is the hypervisor only, not the dom0 kernel that
> needs to go with it. I also found this thread on
> the debian-devel mailing list archive for January of 2010:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/01/msg00033.html

Thank you! I believe you have found me a solution for a dom0 kernel, although it does not involve splitting open the rpm packages. I will know when I get some time to read up on git kernel tree revision control.

On http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2010-01/msg00592.html

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
By the way they now have a gitorious mirror so there is no need to
download rpm's and extract the patches from them.

http://gitorious.org/opensuse/kernel-source/commits/master
If my assumptions are correct I should be able to download a snapshot of a supported kernel source from kernel.org and patches (to xenify) the source code from the git tree. After compiling the patched source code into a -xen kernel I will make a binary deb package.