FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

Hello,

I am looking for a good replacement of KShowMail (a pop/imap mail checker
with advanced functions -the ability of deleting and reading e-mails is a
must).

Right now I'm using "mail-notification" (in a GNOME environment) but is
rather feature-lacking when compared with its KDE counterpart app
KShowMail (it just only alerts me when new e-mail arrives but nothing
more).

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:31:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I am looking for a good replacement of KShowMail (a pop/imap mail
> checker with advanced functions -the ability of deleting and reading
> e-mails is a must).
>
> Right now I'm using "mail-notification" (in a GNOME environment) but is
> rather feature-lacking when compared with its KDE counterpart app
> KShowMail (it just only alerts me when new e-mail arrives but nothing
> more).
>
> Any recommendations/suggestions?

(→ re-injecting)

No one here using a pop3/imap e-mail checker? O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
"James Wu"
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to Gnome. Any reasons why KshowMail isn't being considered anymore?

James

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Camaleón
Sent: February 11, 2010 9:47 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Substitute for KShowMail?

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:31:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I am looking for a good replacement of KShowMail (a pop/imap mail
> checker with advanced functions -the ability of deleting and reading
> e-mails is a must).
>
> Right now I'm using "mail-notification" (in a GNOME environment) but
> is rather feature-lacking when compared with its KDE counterpart app
> KShowMail (it just only alerts me when new e-mail arrives but nothing
> more).
>
> Any recommendations/suggestions?

(→ re-injecting)

No one here using a pop3/imap e-mail checker? O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:12:43 -0500, James Wu wrote:

> Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general
> (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years
> ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to
> Gnome.

Ouch! :-)

Well, I'll stop searching then. I'm afraid you're right.

> Any reasons why KshowMail isn't being considered anymore?

I had it installed on my previous system (openSUSE 10.3 with kde 3.5) and
was working great. Installation was so easy because it was rpm packaged
for my system and being in KDE, I had no dependency problems.

Now that I switched to Debian and GNOME I find it a bit more complex to
install. I see there is a ".deb" package under Ubuntu repositories¹ that
I could try but I guess I'll drop in a dependency loop-hell I do not want
to get into just for one (and small) application.

¹ http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/kshowmail

Thanks for your reply.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Liam O'Toole
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:12:43 -0500, James Wu wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general
>> (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years
>> ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to
>> Gnome.
>
> Ouch! :-)
>
> Well, I'll stop searching then. I'm afraid you're right.
>
--- SNIP ---
> --
> Camaleón
>

While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
doing everything in mutt

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:13:54 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
> the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
> doing everything in mutt

In fact, I've got those two (mail-notification -which is indeed an
applet- and mutt) installed, but unluckily, "mail-notification" does not
do the trick: it just "notifies" which is the ~10% of what KShowMail
does :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Liam O'Toole
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:13:54 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
>> the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
>> doing everything in mutt
>
> In fact, I've got those two (mail-notification -which is indeed an
> applet- and mutt) installed, but unluckily, "mail-notification" does not
> do the trick: it just "notifies" which is the ~10% of what KShowMail
> does :-P
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>

mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
displays an icon in the notification area.

Pity it doesn't do what you want.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:56:28 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
> displays an icon in the notification area.
>
> Pity it doesn't do what you want.

Mmm, I have this piece of software installed:

http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

Isn't that the app you are referring to? :-?

It just displays an icon in the system tray with the new messages, but
does not allow to delete or review them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Liam O'Toole
 
Default Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:56:28 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
>> displays an icon in the notification area.
>>
>> Pity it doesn't do what you want.
>
> Mmm, I have this piece of software installed:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
>
> Isn't that the app you are referring to? :-?
>
> It just displays an icon in the system tray with the new messages, but
> does not allow to delete or review them.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>

Yes, that's the one. Like I said, it's unfortunate that it doesn't do
what you want.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:19 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org