-   -   Substitute for KShowMail? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/322593-substitute-kshowmail.html)

Camaleón 02-08-2010 02:31 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

Hello,

I am looking for a good replacement of KShowMail (a pop/imap mail checker
with advanced functions -the ability of deleting and reading e-mails is a
must).

Right now I'm using "mail-notification" (in a GNOME environment) but is
rather feature-lacking when compared with its KDE counterpart app
KShowMail (it just only alerts me when new e-mail arrives but nothing
more).

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camaleón 02-11-2010 01:46 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:31:26 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> I am looking for a good replacement of KShowMail (a pop/imap mail
> checker with advanced functions -the ability of deleting and reading
> e-mails is a must).
>
> Right now I'm using "mail-notification" (in a GNOME environment) but is
> rather feature-lacking when compared with its KDE counterpart app
> KShowMail (it just only alerts me when new e-mail arrives but nothing
> more).
>
> Any recommendations/suggestions?

(→ re-injecting)

No one here using a pop3/imap e-mail checker? O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"James Wu" 02-11-2010 06:12 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to Gnome. Any reasons why KshowMail isn't being considered anymore?

James

Camaleón 02-12-2010 09:12 AM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:12:43 -0500, James Wu wrote:

> Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general
> (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years
> ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to
> Gnome.

Ouch! :-)

Well, I'll stop searching then. I'm afraid you're right.

> Any reasons why KshowMail isn't being considered anymore?

I had it installed on my previous system (openSUSE 10.3 with kde 3.5) and
was working great. Installation was so easy because it was rpm packaged
for my system and being in KDE, I had no dependency problems.

Now that I switched to Debian and GNOME I find it a bit more complex to
install. I see there is a ".deb" package under Ubuntu repositories¹ that
I could try but I guess I'll drop in a dependency loop-hell I do not want
to get into just for one (and small) application.

¹ http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/kshowmail

Thanks for your reply.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Liam O'Toole 02-12-2010 10:13 AM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:12:43 -0500, James Wu wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, I think that gnome applets are quite lacking in general
>> (if that's what you're looking for). I tried looking around a few years
>> ago for something similar and never quite found one that was native to
>> Gnome.
>
> Ouch! :-)
>
> Well, I'll stop searching then. I'm afraid you're right.

--- SNIP ---
> --
> Camaleón

While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
doing everything in mutt :)

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Camaleón 02-12-2010 10:27 AM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:13:54 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
> the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
> doing everything in mutt :)

In fact, I've got those two (mail-notification -which is indeed an
applet- and mutt) installed, but unluckily, "mail-notification" does not
do the trick: it just "notifies" which is the ~10% of what KShowMail
does :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Liam O'Toole 02-12-2010 12:56 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:13:54 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> While it is not an applet, the mail-notification package might provide
>> the functionality you need. I used it for a time before reverting to
>> doing everything in mutt :)
>
> In fact, I've got those two (mail-notification -which is indeed an
> applet- and mutt) installed, but unluckily, "mail-notification" does not
> do the trick: it just "notifies" which is the ~10% of what KShowMail
> does :-P
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
displays an icon in the notification area.

Pity it doesn't do what you want.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Camaleón 02-12-2010 01:29 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:56:28 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
> displays an icon in the notification area.
>
> Pity it doesn't do what you want.

Mmm, I have this piece of software installed:

http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/

Isn't that the app you are referring to? :-?

It just displays an icon in the system tray with the new messages, but
does not allow to delete or review them.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Liam O'Toole 02-12-2010 02:52 PM

Substitute for KShowMail?

On 2010-02-12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:56:28 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>
>> mail-notification is not an applet; it is a separate process which
>> displays an icon in the notification area.
>>
>> Pity it doesn't do what you want.
>
> Mmm, I have this piece of software installed:
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
>
> Isn't that the app you are referring to? :-?
>
> It just displays an icon in the system tray with the new messages, but
> does not allow to delete or review them.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Yes, that's the one. Like I said, it's unfortunate that it doesn't do
what you want.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom