Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Steve Kleene

Default font substitution by acroread

I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts from
poppler-utils). For example, this one:

http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf

When I view these in acroread (8.1.7-0.1, lenny), I get some font that's
really horrible to read. The upper-case letters are about 4x taller than the
lower-case letters.

I don't have Arial on my Lenny system, so I assume that another font is being
substituted. I don't know how this works. By checking file-access times, I
found that a very large number of font files are touched when I open the PDF.
Files touched are, among other places, under

/etc/fonts
/usr/lib/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Font
/usr/share/fonts
/usr/share/texmf/fonts

I can imagine two solutions but don't know how to execute either one. First,
I could arrange to have a sane font (e.g. Helvetica) substituted instead of
whatever one I'm getting now. Second, I could perhaps make Arial available
on Lenny. I have already installed ttf-liberation, which has "Free fonts
with the same metrics as Times, Arial and Courier". I have an XP virtual
machine with files such as c:windowsfontsarial.ttf. I'm not sure how to
add and register the TTF files on Lenny, and I'm not sure if that would solve
the acroread problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

P.S.
Here's another odd thing. If I bring up an all-Arial PDF in XP Acrobat and
save it to a PDF, the copy PDF does display nicely in Lenny's acroread.
pdffonts shows the original as follows:

name type emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Arial,Bold TrueType no no no 6 0
Arial TrueType no no no 8 0

and the copy as this:

DMLCMG+Arial-BoldMT Type 1C yes yes no 45 0
DMLCNH+ArialMT Type 1C yes yes no 47 0

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 08:02:42 -0500, Steve Kleene wrote:

(...)

> I can imagine two solutions but don't know how to execute either one.
> First, I could arrange to have a sane font (e.g. Helvetica) substituted
> instead of whatever one I'm getting now.

I managed that by creating ~/.fonts.conf file with the following content.

***
<fontconfig>
<alias binding="same">
<family>Helvetica</family>
<prefer>
<family>Arial</family>
</prefer>
</alias>
</fontconfig>
***

That replaces Helvetica with Arial), at least for my user. Not sure if
that also works for PDF files, though, I've only tested with Iceweasel :-)

> Second, I could perhaps make
> Arial available on Lenny. I have already installed ttf-liberation,
> which has "Free fonts with the same metrics as Times, Arial and
> Courier". I have an XP virtual machine with files such as
> c:windowsfontsarial.ttf. I'm not sure how to add and register the
> TTF files on Lenny, and I'm not sure if that would solve the acroread
> problem. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I highly recommnend you to install some basic TTF set of fonts (Arial,
Tahoma, Verdana, Times News Roman, Courier-New) because not only websites
are using them a lot but as you already discovered, many PDF documents
(and other office files) do not embedded the fonts and rely on user's
system for make the "best effort" in replacement and the result can be a
true disaster :-P

So, I for my self, installed (copy&paste) all the *.ttf fonts from a
windows system and placed under "/usr/local/share/fonts" in order they
don't become messed up with the rest of the system fonts.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 08:02:42AM EST, Steve Kleene wrote:
> I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts from
> poppler-utils). For example, this one:
>
> http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf
>
> When I view these in acroread (8.1.7-0.1, lenny), I get some font that's
> really horrible to read. The upper-case letters are about 4x taller than the
> lower-case letters.

I don't know have the time right now to check whether this works with
pdf's, but you could try to adapt this:

→ Add the following to /etc/fonts/local.conf:

<!-- Get rid of hard-coded Arial & Sans-Serif in web pages. -->

<match target="pattern">
<test name="prefer_outline">
<bool>true</bool>
</test>
<test name="family">
<string>dejavu sans</string>
</test>
<edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="strong">
<string>Verdana</string>
</edit>
</match>

<match target="pattern">
<edit name="prefer_outline">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
</match>

→ As root, recreate fontconfig cache:

# fc-cache -r -v -s

→ As regular user check the results:

$ fc-match arial
verdana.ttf: "Verdana" "Normal"

Obviously requires that your version of acroread for linux invokes
fontconfig to serve the fonts.

CJ

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Lisi

On Monday 08 February 2010 13:02:42 Steve Kleene wrote:
> I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts
> from poppler-utils). For example, this one:
>
> http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf

> I don't have Arial on my Lenny system, so I assume that another font is
> being substituted.
[snip]
> Second, I could perhaps make
> Arial available on Lenny. [snip]
> and I'm not sure
> if that would solve the acroread problem.

I have Arial on my Debian Lenny and the document from the URL that you posted
does not use it, but an odd font that would be difficult to read. So it
looks as though this solution could not be guaranteed to be effective. :-(

Lisi

Old 02-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-02-08, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 13:02:42 Steve Kleene wrote:
>> I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts
>> from poppler-utils). For example, this one:
>>
>> http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf
>
>> I don't have Arial on my Lenny system, so I assume that another font is
>> being substituted.
> [snip]
>> Second, I could perhaps make
>> Arial available on Lenny. [snip]
>> and I'm not sure
>> if that would solve the acroread problem.
>
> I have Arial on my Debian Lenny and the document from the URL that you posted
> does not use it, but an odd font that would be difficult to read. So it
> looks as though this solution could not be guaranteed to be effective. :-(
>
> Lisi

FWIW, the document looks fine in evince on Lenny (with MS fonts
installed).

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Steve Kleene

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:02:42 -0500, I wrote:

> I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by pdffonts from
> poppler-utils). For example, this one:
>
> http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf
>
> When I view these in acroread (8.1.7-0.1, lenny), I get some font that's
> really horrible to read.
>
> ... I'd appreciate any suggestions.

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:19:26 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón replied:

> I managed that by creating ~/.fonts.conf file with the following content.

That didn't work for me with acroread.

> So, I for my self, installed (copy&paste) all the *.ttf fonts from a
> windows system and placed under "/usr/local/share/fonts" in order they
> don't become messed up with the rest of the system fonts.

That was a piece of cake and solved the problem. Thanks. I had thought I
would have to register the fonts somehow, but simply depositing them was
enough. The PDFs display well now, and fc-match also reports them.

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:41:20 -0500, Chris Jones suggested:

> but you could try to adapt this:
>
> Add the following to /etc/fonts/local.conf:

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried this because adding the ttf files
was simple enough and worked.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Klaus Jantzen

Steve Kleene wrote:

[...]

Where did you find acroread?
I have been searching for it, but could not locate it.

--

K.D.J.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Chris Jones

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:16:09AM EST, Lisi wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2010 13:02:42 Steve Kleene wrote:

> > I often come across PDFs containing Arial font (as reported by
> > pdffonts from poppler-utils). For example, this one:
> >
> > http://cdmrp.army.mil/funding/archive/10prmrpiira_pa.pdf
>
> > I don't have Arial on my Lenny system, so I assume that another font
> > is being substituted.

> [snip]

> > Second, I could perhaps make Arial available on Lenny. [snip] and
> > I'm not sure if that would solve the acroread problem.

> I have Arial on my Debian Lenny and the document from the URL that you
> posted does not use it, but an odd font that would be difficult to
> read. So it looks as though this solution could not be guaranteed to
> be effective. :-(

Hm.. same here, it looks like Abadi condensed, a blocky font with lower
case glyphs that squat close to the baseline and very tall capitals
towering above them.

Affects the entire document.

Portable Document Format indeed.. or does the 'P' still stand for
proprietory..? :-)

CJ

Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:58:39 -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:16:09AM EST, Lisi wrote:

>> I have Arial on my Debian Lenny and the document from the URL that you
>> posted does not use it, but an odd font that would be difficult to
>> read. So it looks as though this solution could not be guaranteed to
>> be effective. :-(
>
> Hm.. same here, it looks like Abadi condensed, a blocky font with lower
> case glyphs that squat close to the baseline and very tall capitals
> towering above them.
>
> Affects the entire document.

The whole document uses "Times News Roman" :-)

Sometimes, the original document ("Microsoft® Office Word 2007" as shown
in the PDF properties) makes a reference to a typeface but is not used in
any part of the document so when performing the conversion to PDF the
font is still referenced but "not visible" at all.

I think this can be the case.

> Portable Document Format indeed.. or does the 'P' still stand for
> proprietory..? :-)

It's a nice format, standard et al, but a good reader makes the PDF user
experience better or worse, and Acrobat Reader is not the one that helps
in that "better experience" task :-P

(IMO, Evince or Okular are far better than Acrobat)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
"Wayne

Klaus Jantzen wrote:

Steve Kleene wrote:
[...]

Where did you find acroread?
I have been searching for it, but could not locate it.

I have this in my sources.list for adobe acroread.

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main

Wayne