Old 02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Alex Samad

Default unionfs

Hi

I am looking at trying out unionfs, I notice there is onlythe
unionfs-fuse package - is this the way debian is going with unionfs or
how do you use the kernel version - can't seem to find any comparisons
between the 2

thanks
Alex
--
"It's going to require numerous IRA agents."

- George W. Bush
10/10/2000
Greensboro, NC
On Gore's tax plan

Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
green

Alex Samad wrote at 2010-02-07 16:32 -0600:
> I am looking at trying out unionfs, I notice there is onlythe
> unionfs-fuse package - is this the way debian is going with unionfs or
> how do you use the kernel version - can't seem to find any comparisons
> between the 2

You may be interested in aufs instead; it seems to be available in Lenny,
although I don't see it for squeeze or sid at the moment.

I have used neither of unionfs and aufs.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Andrew Reid

On Sunday 07 February 2010 17:32:45 Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking at trying out unionfs, I notice there is onlythe
> unionfs-fuse package - is this the way debian is going with unionfs or
> how do you use the kernel version - can't seem to find any comparisons
> between the 2

The Debian-packaged kernel overlay file system is "aufs", which
seem to be a fork and/or successor of unionfs.

I have had some difficulties with overlay file systems in "lenny",
I have a diskless cluster where I wanted to overlay two different
NFS-mounted file-systems, and was not able to solve the problem
within the scope of lenny-packaged tools. Aufs does work in general,
but not in the case where I wanted it.

I'm not aware of any comparisons between unionfs and aufs,
but my intuition is that the kernel system should have better
performance.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Alex Samad

thanks

--
It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end.
-- Leonardo da Vinci