-   -   Plz suggest the kernels that can be used in GNU (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/321976-plz-suggest-kernels-can-used-gnu.html)

Stan Hoeppner 02-07-2010 03:40 AM

Plz suggest the kernels that can be used in GNU

AZAD NIKARTHIL put forth on 2/6/2010 1:16 PM:
> Hello hackers.....
>
> Can any one give information about anyother kernel other than Linux is now using in GNU....
> Is there is any other good kernel other than Linux.
> plz suggest

This information is available only a couple of clicks deep from the debian home
page, thus very easy to find, thus you should know this already.

What is your real question? What are your goals in choosing a kernel? If you
feel one might be better for you than another, then state the _reasons_ why you
are on this "kernel searching" mission.

--
Stan

consul tores 02-07-2010 06:58 AM

2010/2/6 Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com>:

> What is your real question? *What are your goals in choosing a kernel? *If you
> feel one might be better for you than another, then state the _reasons_ why you
> are on this "kernel searching" mission.
>
> --
> Stan

I can not know what this person is asking for, but a Linux kernel is
to big for a floppy disk, it includes SeLinux wich is not very welcome
in many boxes around the World, and it also defines what GNU does.

Stan Hoeppner 02-07-2010 08:55 AM

Plz suggest the kernels that can be used in GNU

consul tores put forth on 2/7/2010 1:58 AM:

> I can not know what this person is asking for, but a Linux kernel is
> to big for a floppy disk, it includes SeLinux wich is not very welcome
> in many boxes around the World, and it also defines what GNU does.

Linux kernels can be made to fit into spaces far far smaller than a 1.44MB
floppy disk. Many embedded applications use Linux kernels a quarter of this
size or less. Until recently you could boot the Debian net installer kernel
from a floppy disk, and until recent years and the advent of "live CDs" the
rescue floppy was the standard boot device for rescuing a non bootable Debian
system. The Linux kernel can easily fit on a boot floppy. You can't do much
with such a kernel, but then again, you never could with any *nix type kernel
that fit on a floppy.

Why do you say SeLinux is not welcome? In Debian/GNU Linux it's disabled by
default. Those who use it need high levels of system security and auditing.

--
Stan

Osamu Aoki 02-07-2010 01:25 PM

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:46:15AM +0530, AZAD NIKARTHIL wrote:
> Hello hackers.....
>
> Can any one give information about anyother kernel other than Linux is
> now using in GNU.... Is there is any other good kernel other than
> Linux. plz suggest

I do not understand exactly what are you asking with "in GNU....".

There are good kernel other than Linux http://www.debian.org/ports/index.en.html

* kfreebsd kernel is basically release quality. (This is FreeBSD kernel)
* GNU/HURD kernel in another. (This is pure GNU kernel)

(There have been other efforts...)

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/reference-manual/hurd.html

I suggest you to do more selfstudy if you ever wish to run these. (So
far, I never got to do ...)

Osamu

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 02-08-2010 03:26 PM

In <409375.55103.qm@web7802.mail.in.yahoo.com>, AZAD NIKARTHIL wrote:
>Can any one give information about anyother kernel other than Linux is now
> using in GNU....

Linux uses GPLv2.
The *BSD kernels all use a 2-clause BSD license (I think).
OpenSolaris kernel uses the CDDL.
GNU Mach uses some GPL. I think they might want to move to GPLv3.

All of those are Free Software Licenses, but there might be some compatibility
issues.

> Is there is any other good kernel other than Linux.

There seem to be enough Debian users that think the FreeBSD kernel is usable
that Debian/kFreeBSD is soon to be official. So, that's the one I would look
at closest.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))