-   -   raid on mixed ide/sata drives (/dev/hda /dev/sda) not assembled at boot with initramfs (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/321877-raid-mixed-ide-sata-drives-dev-hda-dev-sda-not-assembled-boot-initramfs.html)

Alex Samad 02-06-2010 07:52 PM

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 07:59:05PM +0100, Dr. KER?KGY?RT? Istv?n wrote:
> [sorry if I post multiple times, but my message did not seem to get across,
> and moderation isn't supposed to last half a day]
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have a system with a raid1 array. I installed it first with a
> degraded raid array, one part of the array being /dev/hda2. After
> installation I added (mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/sda2) the
> second drive, which went nicely, the array was assembled. This already
> shows that the array is made up of an IDE and a SATA drive (which
> might be unwise in general, I don't know, but I have these too drives
> at hand currently).
>
> However, when I reboot, only one of the members of the array are
> detected. Depending on which drive I boot from (both are bootable with
> identical /boot partitions), either /dev/sda2 or /dev/hda2 is attached
> to the array (but not the other one). Looking at dmesg suggests that
> first the drive from which the system is booted is detected, then the
> md array is assembled, and the other drive is only detected
> afterwards.
>
> Is there a way to tell the initramfs in which order to detect the
> drives it needs (so that both sda and hda would be detected, with the
> appropriate modules loaded, and only after that would the raid array
> be assembled)?

strange, trying changing your kernel options to

init=/bin/bash

this will give you a command prompt when the initrd is loaded, but
before anything is done. check to see what can be seen by the system,
can it see hda + sda ?

--
"The goals for this country are peace in the world. And the goals for this country are a compassionate American for every single citizen. That compassion is found in the hearts and souls of the American citizens."

- George W. Bush
12/19/2002
Washington, DC

martin f krafft 02-06-2010 08:07 PM

raid on mixed ide/sata drives (/dev/hda /dev/sda) not assembled at boot with initramfs

also sprach Dr. KERÉKGYÁRTÓ István <ugyved@kerekgyarto.hu> [2010.02.07.0759 +1300]:
> Is there a way to tell the initramfs in which order to detect the
> drives it needs (so that both sda and hda would be detected, with the
> appropriate modules loaded, and only after that would the raid array
> be assembled)?

Try passing rootdelay=10 to the kernel via Grub.

Or give the 3.1.1-1+incremental+4 package in experimental a shot!

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

"no, 'eureka' is greek for 'this bath is too hot.'"
-- dr. who

martin f krafft 02-06-2010 08:54 PM

raid on mixed ide/sata drives (/dev/hda /dev/sda) not assembled at boot with initramfs

also sprach Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> [2010.02.07.0952 +1300]:
> strange, trying changing your kernel options to
>
> init=/bin/bash
>
> this will give you a command prompt when the initrd is loaded, but
> before anything is done. check to see what can be seen by the system,
> can it see hda + sda ?

Appending 'break=mount' to the kernel command line has the same
effect, but the benefit of having the initramfs available, and the
ability to continue by exiting the shell.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info
`. `'` http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://vcs-pkg.org

"first get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure."
-- mark twain