Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Michael Yang

Default What does "Stale NFS file handle" mean?

When I list files under my $HOME, I found following two files that can not be accessed:

ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
total 2384

-?????????** ? ?****** ?*********** ?*************** ? .xsession-errors
-?????????** ? ?****** ?*********** ?*************** ? .Xauthority

It looks like a remote access from NFS system from error message. But it is my $HOME, which is a ext2 system. This is the entry in my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda8****** /home********** ext2*** defaults******* 0****** 2

This error is probably causing another problem of accessing my $HOME files from GTK-based application. When I "open -> file" from a gtk-based application to open a file under $HOME, I can not see any files of $HOME from the "open..file" dialog.

Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks very much.
Michael.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Michael Yang

[...]

Anybody can help with this?
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Sergey Matveev

Greetings,

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:07:41AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:

> When I list files under my $HOME, I found following two files that can not
> be accessed:
>
> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> total 2384
> -????????? ? ? ? ? ? .xsession-errors
> -????????? ? ? ? ? ? .Xauthority
>
> [skip]
>
> Anyone can help me with this?

I googled for this issue, and found this[1]:

A filehandle becomes stale whenever the file or directory referenced by
the handle is removed by another host, while your client still holds an
active reference to the object. A typical example occurs when the
current directory of a process, running on your client, is removed on
the server (either by a process running on the server or on another
client).

So this can occur if the directory is modified on the NFS server, but
the directories modification time is not updated.

How do I fix this problem?

* The best solution is to remount directory from the NFS client
* Or try to mount NFS directory with the noac option. However I don't
recommend using noac option because of performance issue and Checking
files on NFS filesystem referenced by file descriptors (i.e. the
fcntl and ioctl families of functions) may lead to inconsistent
result due to the lack of consistency check in kernel even if noac is
used.

[1] http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

--
Happy hacking, Sergey Matveev
FSF Associate member #5968 | FSFE Fellow #1390

Old 02-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> Anyone can help me with this?

I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation. (At
least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)

Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve
this.

Alas, I see many
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of
.xsession-errors and .Xauthority.

Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"

Osamu

Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Tom H

> When I list files under my $HOME, I found following two files that can not
> be accessed:

> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> total 2384
> -?????????** ? ?****** ?*********** ?*************** ? .xsession-errors
> -?????????** ? ?****** ?*********** ?*************** ? .Xauthority

> It looks like a remote access from NFS system from error message. But it is
> my $HOME, which is a ext2 system. This is the entry in my /etc/fstab
> /dev/sda8****** /home********** ext2*** defaults******* 0****** 2

> This error is probably causing another problem of accessing my $HOME files
> from GTK-based application. When I "open -> file" from a gtk-based
> application to open a file under $HOME, I can not see any files of $HOME
> from the "open..file" dialog.

Are you sure that you do not have an nfs mount on top of the /home
local mount in fstab?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:07:41AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Michael Yang <michael.yxf@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Anybody can help with this?

you mounting with tcp or udp. if tcp try moving to udp

--
"The Iraqis need to be very much involved. They were the people that was brutalized by this man."

- George W. Bush
12/15/2003
Washington, DC

Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Michael Yang

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:

> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle

> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle

> Anyone can help me with this?

I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation. *(At

least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)

Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve

this.

Alas, I see many

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of

.xsession-errors and .Xauthority.

Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"

Osamu

> Thanks very much.

> Michael.

Yes, I did search on google. What is different in my case from those is that I have no NFS mounting on my system. It happens on my $HOME, which is a separate partition ext2 system.

When I list these two files, it outputs:

$ ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority
ls: cannot access /home/michael/.xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
ls: cannot access /home/michael/.Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle

I don't have NFS service open on my system. I do have samba, ssh server open.

If the files are modified from any remote malicious user (by any chance, although low possibility), how to fix this two files by any mounting options? (like edit in /etc/fstab for /home entry).

Thanks very much.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:24 AM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:36:39AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:
> > > ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> > > ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
> > > Anyone can help me with this?
> >
> > I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation. (At
> > least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)
> >
> > Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve
> > this.
> >
> > Alas, I see many
> >
> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/
> >
> > http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

> > But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of
> > .xsession-errors and .Xauthority.
> >
> > Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"
> >
> > Osamu
> >

> > > Thanks very much.
> > > Michael.
> >

> Yes, I did search on google. What is different in my case from those is that
> I have no NFS mounting on my system. It happens on my $HOME, which is a
> separate partition ext2 system.
>
> When I list these two files, it outputs:
> $ ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority
> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
>
> I don't have NFS service open on my system. I do have samba, ssh server
> open.
>
> If the files are modified from any remote malicious user (by any chance,
> although low possibility), how to fix this two files by any mounting
> options? (like edit in /etc/fstab for /home entry).

I presume you have tried rebooting.

you can use mount to show the mounted fs and have a look at /etc/mtab as
well

--
Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well in New York, and still waiting
for a dial tone.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM
marc

Michael Yang wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Michael Yang <michael.yxf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When I list files under my $HOME, I found following two files that can not
>> be accessed:
>>
>> ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle
>> ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle
>> total 2384
>> -????????? ? ? ? ? ? .xsession-errors
>> -????????? ? ? ? ? ? .Xauthority
>>
>> It looks like a remote access from NFS system from error message. But it is
>> my $HOME, which is a ext2 system. This is the entry in my /etc/fstab
>> /dev/sda8 /home ext2 defaults 0 2
>>
>> This error is probably causing another problem of accessing my $HOME files
>> from GTK-based application. When I "open -> file" from a gtk-based
>> application to open a file under $HOME, I can not see any files of $HOME
>> from the "open..file" dialog.
>>
>> Anyone can help me with this?
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>> Michael.
>>

> Anybody can help with this?
>
> Thanks.

Please switch off HTML.

Try running fsck.

$ sudo touch /forcefsck

then reboot.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."

Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Michael Yang

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:36:39AM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> > On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 03:35:37PM -0500, Michael Yang wrote:

> > > ls: cannot access .xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle

> > > ls: cannot access .Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle

> > > Anyone can help me with this?

> > I have no idea but I uually use google on this kind of situation. *(At

> > least fro short info, there is no simple solution I can present.)

> > Peple may have had encountered similar and did much more dig in to solve

> > this.

> > Alas, I see many

> > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/stale-nfs-file-handle-error-369219/

> > http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/nfs-stale-file-handle-error-and-solution.html

> > But yor case is on local file... Did you check file permission of

> > .xsession-errors and .Xauthority.

> > Please post "ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority"

> > Osamu

> > > Thanks very much.

> > > Michael.

> Yes, I did search on google. What is different in my case from those is that

> I have no NFS mounting on my system. It happens on my $HOME, which is a

> separate partition ext2 system.

> When I list these two files, it outputs:

> $ ls -l ~/.xsession-errors ~/.Xauthority

> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.xsession-errors: Stale NFS file handle

> ls: cannot access /home/michael/.Xauthority: Stale NFS file handle

> I don't have NFS service open on my system. I do have samba, ssh server

> open.

> If the files are modified from any remote malicious user (by any chance,

> although low possibility), how to fix this two files by any mounting

> options? (like edit in /etc/fstab for /home entry).

I presume you have tried rebooting.

you can use mount to show the mounted fs and have a look at /etc/mtab as

well

I could not locate any abnormals from the output. It looks good to me.
$ mount/dev/sda7 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)/dev/sda5 on /mnt/wind type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda6 on /mnt/wine type fuseblk (rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)/dev/sda8 on /home type ext2 (rw)
$ less /etc/mtab/dev/sda7 / ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0proc /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0sysfs /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0procbususb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0udev /dev tmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620 0 0fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0/dev/sda5 /mnt/wind fuseblk rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0
/dev/sda6 /mnt/wine fuseblk rw,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096 0 0/dev/sda8 /home ext2 rw 0 0

*