Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Rob Owens

Default which debian i should install?

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 10:49:35AM -0800, rosy cutie wrote:
> i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i reaches at the page
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/
> but i am not able to decide which debian?
> i*dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet or through any network.
> i think i*can install it by a cd and***debian-504-i386-CD-.iso will work for me but why there are cd-1 to cd-31.
> i also want to know what to do with MD5SUMS.
> is it also nessacery to download it.
> may be it is not nessacery but i want to know how to use it.
> please help me.

Are you set on using Debian? Ubuntu is similar, is more focused on
beginners, and is a single CD download. www.ubuntu.com

I like Debian better, but Ubuntu does have its advantages. Particularly
for people new to Linux.

If you definitely want to stick w/ Debian, you don't need to download
all 31 CDs, but I can't tell you which ones you need. I always do a net
install.

-Rob

Old 02-06-2010, 06:39 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:49:35 -0800 (PST)
rosy cutie <rosy_qutie@yahoo.com> dijo:

>i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i
>reaches at the page
>http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/ but i am not
>able to decide which debian? i*dont understand the computer jargon.i
>cannot install it via internet or through any network. i think i*can
>install it by a cd and***debian-504-i386-CD-.iso will work for me but
>why there are cd-1 to cd-31. i also want to know what to do with
>MD5SUMS. is it also nessacery to download it. may be it is not
>nessacery but i want to know how to use it. please help me.

It sounds as though you are completely new to Linux. People on this
list are very kind and helpful, but there are a lot of issues to
consider. For example, do you already have an operating system on the
computer that you want to keep so you can dual boot (Windows, MacOS,
some other Linux)?

This is a Debian list, so I know someone is going to jump on me for
saying this, but if you are brand new to Linux Debian may not be the
best distribution for you to start with. Linux is famous for giving
people choices, and one of the choices is which distribution you
install. There are literally hundreds of different distributions,
although the popular ones number only a dozen or so. Debian is in the
top dozen, but so are Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva, among
others. And for each of them there are usually options like whether you
want Gnome or KDE, 32-bit or 64-bit, and others.

If you are completely new to Linux I recommend trying a live CD first.
There are live CDs for Debian here:

http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

On the above page look at the second paragraph and click on Gnome, KDE
or Xfce.

You can download live CDs for the other distributions that I mentioned
from their web sites. Here is a web site with links to the web sites
for many distros:

http://www.livecdlist.com/?pick=All&showonly=Rescue&sort=&sm=1

The beauty of a live CD is that you boot your computer from the CD
drive instead of the hard disk. You'll have a completely operating
Linux without touching your hard drive. CD drives are not very fast, so
it will run slowly, but you can poke around and learn a lot without
actually installing Linux. For example, some distributions do a better
job of detecting and configuring hardware than others. So you can use
the live CD to make sure that the sound is working, the wireless and
network is working, the video is running at the resolution you want,
and so on.

I spend a lot of time helping newcomers to Linux. I am part of a local
group that holds regular Linux Clinics where people can bring their
computers and we help them install Linux and get familiar with it. Over
several years of doing this we end up installing Ubuntu 90% of the
time. Ubuntu is based on Debian, is probably the most popular
distribution today, and is excellent at working well without needing
tweaks to get hardware working.

Not only do I recommend Ubuntu for beginners, I also recommend trying
to find a local Linux group. Having someone sit with you while you get
started will make things a lot easier.

I hope that answered some of your questions. Please feel free to ask
further questions.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 10:49:35 -0800, rosy cutie wrote:

> i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i
> reaches at the page
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/ but i am not able
> to decide which debian? i*dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot
> install it via internet or through any network. i think i*can install it
> by a cd and***debian-504-i386-CD-.iso will work for me but why there are
> cd-1 to cd-31. i also want to know what to do with MD5SUMS. is it also
> nessacery to download it.
> may be it is not nessacery but i want to know how to use it. please help
> me.

- If you have DVD writer, try the first iso DVD. It has many packages in
just one medium.

- If you have only a CD writer, donwload the first iso CD and once
installed, you can use a network connection to download additional
packages.

More info here:

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/index.en.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Stan Hoeppner

John Jason Jordan put forth on 2/6/2010 1:39 PM:

> This is a Debian list, so I know someone is going to jump on me for
> saying this, but if you are brand new to Linux Debian may not be the
> best distribution for you to start with.

I didn't thoroughly read the entire thread. I just wanted to say that depending
on the OP's goals, Debian might be the perfect distro to cut teeth on.

Long ago I told a colleague I wanted to start using Linux and actually _learn_
something in the process. He told me to download the net install floppies for
Potato, and perform a compact install. That was 10 years ago, and I've learned
a lot over the past decade. I'm still learning new things, and I hope this
trend will continue for some time.

Starting from a compact text console install forces an OP to learn a lot of
things they'd never learn starting with a GUI workstation. I'm so glad Casey
made this recommendation.

--
Stan

Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Jari Fredriksson

On 6.2.2010 20:49, rosy cutie wrote:
> i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i
> reaches at the page
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/
> but i am not able to decide which debian?
> i dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet
> or through any network.
> i think i can install it by a cd and debian-504-i386-CD-.iso
> <http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/debian-504-i386-CD-1.iso>
> will work for me but why there are cd-1 to cd-31.
> i also want to know what to do with MD5SUMS.
> is it also nessacery to download it.
> may be it is not nessacery but i want to know how to use it.
> please help me.

I have used Linux from 1994, but mostly in servers and text mode. I now
have a VirtualBox on my Windows, and desktop linuces on that too. I have
latest Debian, and latest Ubuntu Desktops.

While I prefer Debian as my server systems, I definitely prefer Ubuntu
as a Desktop. The Debian workstation has this font problem: it just does
not like usable out of the box. Ubuntu looks great.

Ubuntu, while a bit strange at first to me as a Debian user (it does not
have root superuser, but this "sudo -i"), is great. I find myself
booting the Ubuntu when I need Linux, the Debian I do not use.

As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the Debian open
system with acceptable user experience.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Tell the truth or trump--but get the trick.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Mark

>On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi> wrote:

>I have used Linux from 1994, but mostly in servers and text mode. I now

>have a VirtualBox on my Windows, and desktop linuces on that too. I have

>latest Debian, and latest Ubuntu Desktops.

>While I prefer Debian as my server systems, I definitely prefer Ubuntu

>as a Desktop. The Debian workstation has this font problem: it just does

>not like usable out of the box. Ubuntu looks great.

>As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the Debian open

>system with acceptable user experience.

Your linux experience definitely outweighs mine (only about 1 year for me) but I tried to give Ubuntu a chance several times this past year and always wound up coming back to Debian.* To each his/her own I suppose, but I guess I would expect to hear "use Ubuntu" from people in an experience range more like mine, while I'd expect to hear "use Debian" from people with more experience.* Strange to hear the opposite in this case.

Either way, I hope the OP finds the distro that works for them.

Mark

Old 02-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Miles Fidelman

Mark wrote:

>As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the
Debian open
>system with acceptable user experience.

Your linux experience definitely outweighs mine (only about 1 year for
me) but I tried to give Ubuntu a chance several times this past year
and always wound up coming back to Debian. To each his/her own I
suppose, but I guess I would expect to hear "use Ubuntu" from people
in an experience range more like mine, while I'd expect to hear "use
Debian" from people with more experience. Strange to hear the
opposite in this case.
I keep coming back to Debian on servers, and MacOS ("BSD Unix inside")
on the desktop.

But it really does come down to what the original poster is trying to
accomplish:

i. if a relatively experienced computer person, new to Unix - Debian is
definitely a win: clean, reliable, well supported, and apt wins hands
down for keeping packages up to date

ii. if the OP is trying to learn about linux, then either Gentoo or
Linux From Scratch provide incredible insight into what goes on under
the hood; after which Debian is a lot easier to maintain for day-to-day use

One man's opinion.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 06 February 2010 19:15:18 Rob Owens wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 10:49:35AM -0800, rosy cutie wrote:
> > i want to install debian on my computer.by searching its website i
> > reaches at the page
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-cd/
> > but i am not able to decide which debian?
> > i*dont understand the computer jargon.i cannot install it via internet or
> > through any network. i think i*can install it by a cd
> > and***debian-504-i386-CD-.iso will work for me but why there are cd-1 to
> > cd-31. i also want to know what to do with MD5SUMS.
> > is it also nessacery to download it.
> > may be it is not nessacery but i want to know how to use it.
> > please help me.
>
> Are you set on using Debian? *Ubuntu is similar, is more focused on
> beginners, and is a single CD download. www.ubuntu.com

I have found PCLinuxOS very good for complete beginners at Linux. Speaking
purely personally, I find it more satisfactory than Ubuntu.

But each to his own - and that is the beauty of Linux. We can all chose what
suits us.

Lisi

Old 02-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Clive Wagenaar

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 19:44 +0000, Lisi wrote:
> I have found PCLinuxOS very good for complete beginners at Linux.
> Speaking
> purely personally, I find it more satisfactory than Ubuntu.

Why not stick with a Debian based system and go with Mint 8.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I am happy with Debian Testing and Fedora 12, but if one wants a very
simple easy transition, then Mint 8 may also be a good option.

I have not found the pclinuxos forums to be the most inviting place.
Texstar the main developer of Pclinuxos is however a great guy, just a
pity he seems to have lost control of the forums to a few not so
friendly folk. (Was last there maybe 3 years ago, so it may be better
now)
If Sal still hangs around on their forums look him up, he is a good guy
too.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Jari Fredriksson

On 7.2.2010 21:02, Mark wrote:
>>On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi
> <mailto:jarif@iki.fi>> wrote:
>
> >I have used Linux from 1994, but mostly in servers and text mode. I now
> >have a VirtualBox on my Windows, and desktop linuces on that too. I
> have
> >latest Debian, and latest Ubuntu Desktops.
> >
> >While I prefer Debian as my server systems, I definitely prefer Ubuntu
> >as a Desktop. The Debian workstation has this font problem: it just
> does
> >not like usable out of the box. Ubuntu looks great.
> >

> >As a Linux beginner, I say: go Ubuntu. That way you get the Debian open
> >system with acceptable user experience.
>

> Your linux experience definitely outweighs mine (only about 1 year for
> me) but I tried to give Ubuntu a chance several times this past year and
> always wound up coming back to Debian. To each his/her own I suppose,
> but I guess I would expect to hear "use Ubuntu" from people in an
> experience range more like mine, while I'd expect to hear "use Debian"
> from people with more experience. Strange to hear the opposite in this
> case.

Debian is a great base. Ubuntu is based on Debian (try 'cat
/etc/debian_version' under Ubuntu

Debian is great. And Ubuntu is an improvement on that platform.
Improvement in the sense that it is better for inexperienced users, and
also for experienced users being lazy, and not willing to tweak the
system. Canonical the company workers are doing the tweaking for us.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining
and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
-- Mark Twain