Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Dr. KERÉKGYÁRTÓ István

Default raid on mixed ide/sata drives (/dev/hda /dev/sda) not assembled at boot with initramfs

[sorry if I post multiple times, but my message did not seem to get across, and moderation isn't supposed to last half a day]

Dear All,

I have a system with a raid1 array. I installed it first with a

degraded raid array, one part of the array being /dev/hda2. After

installation I added (mdadm --manage /dev/md2 --add /dev/sda2) the

second drive, which went nicely, the array was assembled. This already

shows that the array is made up of an IDE and a SATA drive (which

might be unwise in general, I don't know, but I have these too drives

at hand currently).

However, when I reboot, only one of the members of the array are

detected. Depending on which drive I boot from (both are bootable with

identical /boot partitions), either /dev/sda2 or /dev/hda2 is attached

to the array (but not the other one). Looking at dmesg suggests that

first the drive from which the system is booted is detected, then the

md array is assembled, and the other drive is only detected

afterwards.

Is there a way to tell the initramfs in which order to detect the

drives it needs (so that both sda and hda would be detected, with the

appropriate modules loaded, and only after that would the raid array

be assembled)?

Thanks,

I.