Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Til Schubbe

Default No Umlauts on console with Kernel 2.6.26

Hi,

I upgraded a Lenny from Kernel 2.6.18-6-486 to 2.6.26-2-486.
Booting with 2.6.26 I dont get any characters displayed by
pressing German umlaut-keys on the console. X works fine.

So I did a
# dpkg-reconfigure console-data
and set it to 'pc qwertz German latin1 - no dead keys'. Now
pushing an umlaut-key generates 2 characters. First a capital 'A',
and then a special character. But I don't get German umlauts.

Umlauts still work when I reboot with Kernel 2.6.18.

Do I have to add something to /etc/console, boottime* etc.?

What else do I have to do to get my umlauts back with 2.6.26?

TIA
Til

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-02-06 11:17 +0100, Til Schubbe wrote:

> I upgraded a Lenny from Kernel 2.6.18-6-486 to 2.6.26-2-486.
> Booting with 2.6.26 I dont get any characters displayed by
> pressing German umlaut-keys on the console. X works fine.
>
> So I did a
> # dpkg-reconfigure console-data
> and set it to 'pc qwertz German latin1 - no dead keys'. Now
> pushing an umlaut-key generates 2 characters. First a capital 'A',
> and then a special character. But I don't get German umlauts.

I suspect it's rather , e.g. you're seeing "ä" instead of "".

> Umlauts still work when I reboot with Kernel 2.6.18.

I think the 2.6.26 kernel uses UTF-8 by default which would explain the
discrepancy.

> Do I have to add something to /etc/console, boottime* etc.?
>
> What else do I have to do to get my umlauts back with 2.6.26?

Check /etc/default/locale, /etc/environment and your shell
initialization files for locale settings. Generally I would recommend
to switch to a UTF-8 locale now, the utf8-migration-tool package can
help you with the transition.

Sven

Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Til Schubbe

On 2010-02-06 Sven wrote:

> I suspect it's rather Ã, e.g. you're seeing "Ã?" instead of "ä".

I sent the characters from the specific system to me via email. While
on the specific system they look different, here they look like these:

ae À
oe ö
ue Ì
ss Ã237

> Generally I would
> recommend to switch to a UTF-8 locale now,

Ok.

> the utf8-migration-tool
> package can help you with the transition.

# /usr/bin/utf8migrationtool
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/utf8migrationtool", line 3, in <module>
import sys, locale, os, gtk, gobject
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
line 48, in <module>
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
FT_Select_Size

# ls -l /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2010-01-22 23:52
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 -> libfontconfig.so.1.3.0
# ls -l /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.3.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176720 2008-11-18 10:25
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.3.0

What's wrong with utf8migrationtool resp.
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1?

Regards
Til

Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-02-06 13:51 +0100, Til Schubbe wrote:

> On 2010-02-06 Sven wrote:
>
>> I suspect it's rather Ã, e.g. you're seeing "Ã?" instead of "ä".
>
> I sent the characters from the specific system to me via email. While
> on the specific system they look different, here they look like these:
>
> ae À
> oe ö
> ue Ì
> ss Ã237

What does the 'locale' command print?

> # /usr/bin/utf8migrationtool
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/bin/utf8migrationtool", line 3, in <module>
> import sys, locale, os, gtk, gobject
> File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py",
> line 48, in <module>
> from gtk import _gtk
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
> FT_Select_Size

Which version of libfreetype6 do you have installed, and what does
'ldd /usr/lib/libfontconfig.1' print?

Sven

Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Til Schubbe

On 2010-02-06 Sven wrote:

> What does the 'locale' command print?

Now...

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

$ echo $Language
de_DE.UTF-8

> Which version of libfreetype6 do you have installed,

I realized that some years ago I compiled a libfreetype6 which
resided in /usr/local/lib/... I moved it away and
/usr/bin/utf8migrationtool ran fine. But the umlauts still don't
work correctly:

After logging out and in again, pushing an umlaut-key the first time
does nothing. Pushing a 2nd key displays the umlaut (!) and pushing a
3rd key displays the 2nd + the 3rd key!

Errormessages and texts are displayed in a weired way: The ls-command
called with an illegal option says: "UngA.ltige Option" with the dot
being a 1/4-sign. And the editor 'joe' tells in it's status line that
the file has been "Ge#ndert" (3rd char: capital A with tilde, 4th
char: Euro-sign).

Regards
Til

Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-02-07 00:46 +0100, Til Schubbe wrote:

> On 2010-02-06 Sven wrote:
>
>> What does the 'locale' command print?
>
> Now...
>
> $ locale
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

You should also change the system locale. Please check /etc/enviroment
and /etc/default/locale and run 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' if necessary.

> Errormessages and texts are displayed in a weired way: The ls-command
> called with an illegal option says: "UngA.ltige Option" with the dot
> being a 1/4-sign. And the editor 'joe' tells in it's status line that
> the file has been "Ge#ndert" (3rd char: capital A with tilde, 4th
> char: Euro-sign).

So the programs output UTF-8, but your terminal is not ready for that.
Try to run 'unicode_start' and see if that helps.

The reason you need to set up a UTF-8 system locale is that
console-tools' init script checks for it and puts the terminal in
Unicode or ASCII mode depending on the value.

Sven

Old 02-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Til Schubbe

On 2010-02-07 Sven wrote:

> You should also change the system locale. Please check
> /etc/enviroment and /etc/default/locale and run 'dpkg-reconfigure
> locales' if necessary.

$ cat /etc/enviroment |egrep -v ^#
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
$ cat /etc/default/locale |egrep -v ^#
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

And then I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'.

> So the programs output UTF-8, but your terminal is not ready for
> that. Try to run 'unicode_start' and see if that helps.

After switching on the computer today, for all users it says:

$ unicode_start
unicode_start: Already in UTF8 mode

> The reason you need to set up a UTF-8 system locale is that
> console-tools' init script checks for it and puts the terminal in
> Unicode or ASCII mode depending on the value.

Now the umlaut-keys generate the right characters. But for all users
'ls -6' tells:

ls: Ungltige Option -- 6
.ls --help.* gibt weitere Informationen.

with the 1st + the 2nd dot being a square. Copying, pasting with gpm
+ piping this square through 'hex' it seems to consist of 3
characters: 'e2 96 a0'.

Regards
Til

Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-02-07 13:57 +0100, Til Schubbe wrote:

> Now the umlaut-keys generate the right characters. But for all users
> 'ls -6' tells:
>
> ls: Ungültige Option -- 6
> .ls --help.* gibt weitere Informationen.
>
> with the 1st + the 2nd dot being a square. Copying, pasting with gpm
> + piping this square through 'hex' it seems to consist of 3
> characters: 'e2 96 a0'.

They are the German quotation marks, „ and “. The stock font used by
the Linux kernel has no glyphs for these, which is why we use the reversed
Guillemets » and « in the German Debian translation team. Unfortunately
the coreutils translator, Michael Piefel, insists on the other quotation
marks.

If you want to display these and many other characters, install the
console-setup package and pick the VGA font in its configuration dialog,
for instance. This is what I do.

Sven

Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,07.Feb.10, 21:20:03, Sven Joachim wrote:

> If you want to display these and many other characters, install the
> console-setup package and pick the VGA font in its configuration dialog,
> for instance. This is what I do.

The Terminus font (will be pulled as dependency of console-setup) is
also nice.

Regards,
Andrei