Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Michael Paulsen

Default Tax software for Debian (Lenny)?

Mark wrote:
I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything
specific to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax,
for example). I found a few interesting options but nothing in the
official Debian packages. Here's what I have so far as options
(on-line versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly
one of these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll do
my taxes with.

-taxact.com <http://taxact.com> http://www.taxactonline.com/
-taxslayer.com <http://taxslayer.com> http://www.taxslayer.com/
-taxgeek (looks a couple years old) http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/

Thanks!
Mark

I have also used taxact for many years and have found it fast and easy
(Debian Lenny and Firefox 3.6). I've looked for a Debian alternative
but as yet have not found one. Gnucash is a bookeeping system with tax
tracking, but it won't file your taxes for you. For free on-line
federal tax filing solutions check with irs.gov they have many options
available

mtp5150

Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Klaus Wolf

hi,

i am using equonomize since several years for the german Finanzamt. I
have configured account equal to german financial account plan and it
works very well for me.

best regards

klaus

Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Bryce

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <4B6D040E.3090300@yahoo.com>, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>>Mark wrote:
>>> Here's what I have so far as options (on-line
>>> versions), any insight into the most
>>> Linux/Debian-friendly one of
>>> these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine
>>> I"ll do my taxes with.
>>>
>>> -taxact.com <http://taxact.com>
>>> http://www.taxactonline.com/ -taxslayer.com
>>> <http://taxslayer.com> http://www.taxslayer.com/
>>> -taxgeek (looks a couple years old)
>>> http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>I have been using TaxAct for several years.
>
> I've also been using it for 2-3 years. Last year they
> made some changes and the web app. didn't work in my
> Konqueror anymore, but IceWeasel worked fine.
>
>>This year they made some
>>changes making entry much easier by providing an option
>>for full screen entry on many forms instead of question by
>>question.
>
> I haven't done mine, yet, this year. It's good to know
> their interface keeps getting better.

I'm uneasy about doing my taxes online. This year, the only
option I found that would run on my old win2k install --
that lives on only to run taxes -- was TaxAct. It worked
flawlessly. Just for fun, I tried it under debian+wine ...
didn't work.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 23:35:26 -0500 (EST), Mark wrote:
> I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything specific
> to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax, for example). I
> found a few interesting options but nothing in the official Debian
> packages. Here's what I have so far as options (on-line versions), any
> insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly one of these? I live in the USA
> and run Lenny on the machine I"ll do my taxes with.
>
> -taxact.com http://www.taxactonline.com/
> -taxslayer.com http://www.taxslayer.com/
> -taxgeek (looks a couple years old) http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/

I'd go with the online software. That way, you're never out
of date. I've used both fileyourtaxes.com and taxact.com.
You have to enter fileyourtaxes.com from the IRS web site
"free file" link or else they'll charge you. But I don't
remember them having any ads. And you have to be below the
income limit (I think it's $50,000/year) to qualify for a free
return. I used it to file a tax return for myself the first
year, before the income limit was put on. After the income
limit I used it only to do my kid's returns. One nice thing
about this company is that their server is in California;
so the e-file date/time stamp is California time. If you live
in the eastern time zone, you can e-file as late as 2:59 AM
on April 16 and the e-file date/time stamp will say 11:59 PM
on April 15. You filed on time!

Since I'm over the $50,000 limit, I use taxact.com. You don't
have to enter that site from the IRS free-file link to get
free filing. But they have three options. I forget what
they're called, but I think its like basic,
advanced, and premium, or some such thing. Only basic is free.
And you will be encouraged at several points along the way to
upgrade to advanced or premium. Resist the temptation.
Basic can handle just about everything. You will also be
encouraged to let them prepare your state return too.
They charge for that as well. In my state, the state government
has a free web site for state income tax preparation; so
I always decline taxact's offer of state tax preparation.
My municipal tax return can be filed online free as well,
using a third government-sponsored web site.
I have to key everything in over again, of course, but once
the federal return has been prepared, it really doesn't take
too long to do the state return. This site also has ads,
mostly for their advanced and premium filing services.
But I put up with it to get free filing.

As I recall, both sites whine about an unsupported browser.
Neither one of them likes Epiphany. And you have to go through
some extra steps of "are you sure you want to use this
browser anyway?" But Epiphany under Lenny worked fine last
year.

That reminds me. I need to get started on my taxes. :-(

Old 02-06-2010, 03:36 PM

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:17:33 +0000 (UTC)

I like opentaxsolver.

I don't think it's available as a deb package, but it's free as in
speech software.

http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/

Brian

Old 02-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Mark

Thanks everyone for the replies, it looks like taxact best fits what I want to do and is compatible with Iceweasel.* Now all I have to do is actually DO the taxes grrrrrr....*

Regards,
Mark

Old 02-07-2010, 03:14 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:05:55AM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:35:26 -0800 Mark wrote:
> > I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything
> > specific to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax,
> > for example). I found a few interesting options but nothing in the
> > official Debian packages. Here's what I have so far as options
> > (on-line versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly
> > one of these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll
> > do my taxes with.
>
> GnuCash (http://www.gnucash.org/) has some Income Tax related
> features. Maybe useful?

at most it allows you to attach tax categories to particular accounts
or transactions, but it doesn't actually do any income tax preparation
or anything like that. We've talked various times in the past about it
and the core-devs are definitely not interested.

been a while since I've been around them though, so that's slightly
dated information.