-   -   Tax software for Debian (Lenny)? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/321596-tax-software-debian-lenny.html)

Mark 02-06-2010 03:35 AM

Tax software for Debian (Lenny)?

I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything specific to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax, for example).* I found a few interesting options but nothing in the official Debian packages.* Here's what I have so far as options (on-line versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly one of these?* I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll do my taxes with.

-taxact.com http://www.taxactonline.com/
-taxslayer.com http://www.taxslayer.com/

-taxgeek (looks a couple years old) http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/

Thanks!
Mark

Girish Kulkarni 02-06-2010 04:35 AM

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 20:35:26 -0800 Mark wrote:
> I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything
> specific to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax,
> for example). I found a few interesting options but nothing in the
> official Debian packages. Here's what I have so far as options
> (on-line versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly
> one of these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll
> do my taxes with.

GnuCash (http://www.gnucash.org/) has some Income Tax related
features. Maybe useful?

Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://athene.org.in/girish

Marc Shapiro 02-06-2010 04:54 AM

Mark wrote:
I've done the typical Internet scrubbing and didn't find anything
specific to tax software for Debian (something similar to TurboTax, for
example). I found a few interesting options but nothing in the official
Debian packages. Here's what I have so far as options (on-line
versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly one of
these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll do my taxes
with.

-taxact.com <http://taxact.com> http://www.taxactonline.com/
-taxslayer.com <http://taxslayer.com> http://www.taxslayer.com/
-taxgeek (looks a couple years old) http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/

I have been using TaxAct for several years. This year they made some
changes making entry much easier by providing an option for full screen
entry on many forms instead of question by question.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 02-06-2010 07:49 AM

In <4B6D040E.3090300@yahoo.com>, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>Mark wrote:
>> Here's what I have so far as options (on-line
>> versions), any insight into the most Linux/Debian-friendly one of
>> these? I live in the USA and run Lenny on the machine I"ll do my taxes
>> with.
>>
>> -taxact.com <http://taxact.com> http://www.taxactonline.com/
>> -taxslayer.com <http://taxslayer.com> http://www.taxslayer.com/
>> -taxgeek (looks a couple years old) http://taxgeek.sourceforge.net/
>
>I have been using TaxAct for several years.

I've also been using it for 2-3 years. Last year they made some changes and
the web app. didn't work in my Konqueror anymore, but IceWeasel worked fine.

>This year they made some
>changes making entry much easier by providing an option for full screen
>entry on many forms instead of question by question.

I haven't done mine, yet, this year. It's good to know their interface keeps
getting better.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))