Old 02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Stephen Powell

Default UDF filesystem in removable harddisk crashed

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:15:14 -0500 (EST), resation@yeah.net wrote:
> The command of making
> filesystem at that time was:
>
> # mkudffs -r 0x0150 --media-type=hd --utf8 /dev/sdb
>
> Note: I made UDF filesystem in the whole disk, not partition.
>

> It worked normally, read and wrote file normally. Today, when I mounted
> it, and copied some files to it, found that it became very slowly. So I
> unmounted it and tried to mount it again. But it could not be mounted
> again!!! The filesystem was crashed!
>
> I have searched Google, found much software to recover data for UDF
> filesystem, but they all work only for UDF CD/DVD, not for UDF harddisk!
>
> Oh, many valuable files are saved in the disk. Can anybody tell me some
> way to save data in the disk? Thank you very very very much.

I'll be the first person to admit that I know nothing about the UDF
filesystem. To me, UDF means "United Dairy Farmers" :-)
But in my experience, NEVER build a file system on an entire disk.
Always create a partition on the disk, then build a file system on
the partition. I suspect that that is your problem. Unfortunately,
that will not be of much help to you at this point. But it may prevent
you from making that mistake in the future.

Patient: Doctor! Doctor! I've broken my arm in three places!
Doctor: Well, stay out of those places!