Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Mailers and In-reply-to; was Re(4): Postscript: Grub2 in current Squeeze

Tixy,

> ... both the message I just quoted and the one I originally replied to
> have an "In-reply-to" header ...

In
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/02/author.html
or
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/02/author2.html
or
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/02/author3.html
depending on when the reader opens the page,
are messages from peasthope and messages from
Peter Easthope. The messages from Peter Easthope
were sent by the Shaw Web based mailer.

When a message was created by clicking the Reply button
in that mailer, a correct In-reply-to parameter was included.
No complaint.

The problematic case is where a message in the archive is
read with the browser and then a reply is created by a
click on the Compose button in the Web based mailer.
In that case I can see the Message-id being replied to
but the mailer offers no way to insert it for the In-reply-to
parameter. An example is this message.
"http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/02/msg00283.html"
So for most of my messages, In-reply-to was correct.
At least one was faulty.

For comparison, if a reply is created with the NO mailer
any of the SMTP parameters can be inserted manually.
An old message can be read in the archive and a correctly
threaded reply can be created.

I used the mailing list for at least a year before understanding
how this works.

Regards, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 12:58:05 -0500 (EST), peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> When a message was created by clicking the Reply button
> in that mailer, a correct In-reply-to parameter was included.
> No complaint.
>
> The problematic case is where a message in the archive is
> read with the browser and then a reply is created by a
> click on the Compose button in the Web based mailer.
> In that case I can see the Message-id being replied to
> but the mailer offers no way to insert it for the In-reply-to
> parameter. An example is this message.
> "http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2010/02/msg00283.html"
> So for most of my messages, In-reply-to was correct.
> At least one was faulty.

I can attest to that. I also use a webmail client provided
by my mail service provider that does not allow the user
to manually set the "In-Reply-To" field. The webmail client
generates one if you click on the Reply button within the
mailer itself. But you have to receive the e-mail to reply
to it. Here's how I do it.

(1) I subscribe to the list. That way, I get *all* the
e-mails.

(2) An incoming e-mail from the listserv shows the "From"
field as the original sender's e-mail address, not the
listserv's e-mail address. I'm not sure why, but it does.
The "To" field shows the list it was sent to, usually
debian-user@lists.debian.org. I select the "To" field,
debian-user@lists.debian.org, with the mouse and click
Edit -> Copy in the browser action bar. I then click
on the "Reply" field. I am now in another window in
which I can compose a reply. The mailer, behind the scenes,
has set the "In-Reply-To" field based on the incoming message,
and the "To" field is pre-filled in with the sender's e-mail
address, which is not the e-mail address I want to reply to.
I then highlight the "To" field with the mouse and click on
Edit -> Paste in the browser action bar. The "To" field now
contains the list address. It's kind-of kludgy, but it works.

In Peter's case, his primary system was down and he was
using a back-up e-mail address to post. This e-mail address
was not subscribed to the list. He couldn't "Reply" to
an e-mail he did not receive, he could only compose a new
one. And the web-based e-mail client didn't give him a
mechanism to manually set the "In-Reply-To" header.

In a case like that, Peter, the best you can do is to make
your subject line match *exactly*, character by character,
with the mail you are "replying" to. It will generally show
up in the archives next to the main thread under the title
"Possible follow-ups". But it will be disconnected from the
main thread. There's really nothing you can do about that.