Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Pier Paolo

Default UDF filesystem in removable harddisk crashed

Il giorno sab, 06/02/2010 alle 00.15 +0800, User ha scritto:

> Hi, all kind friends. Help me! Sorry for my poor English.
>
> My OS is Debian Lenny for i386, and last month I bought a "Seagate
> FreeAgent Desk" 1TB removable harddisk. In order to can be used on both
> Linux and Windows, I chose UDF filesystem for it. The command of making
> filesystem at that time was:
>
> # mkudffs -r 0x0150 --media-type=hd --utf8 /dev/sdb
>
> Note: I made UDF filesystem in the whole disk, not partition.

Don't know about UDF

> It worked normally, read and wrote file normally. Today, when I mounted
> it, and copied some files to it, found that it became very slowly. So I
> unmounted it and tried to mount it again. But it could not be mounted
> again!!! The filesystem was crashed!
>
> I have searched Google, found much software to recover data for UDF
> filesystem, but they all work only for UDF CD/DVD, not for UDF harddisk!
>
> Oh, many valuable files are saved in the disk. Can anybody tell me some
> way to save data in the disk? Thank you very very very much.

Testdisk isn't working (from apt repository also, w/o photorec i think)?
neither directly from the /dev/sdisk neither from a dd image of it?

man dd; Linuxquestions.org has an exaustive post about dd. Google for
the testdisk/photorec site and wiki.