Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Benjamin Donnachie

Default Best way to backup virtual machines from Citrix XenServer.

2010/2/5 Rafał Radecki <radecki.rafal@gmail.com>:
> I have installed Citrix XenServer. It's Linux-based virtualization software.
> Could anyone propose a good way to make backups of virtual machines
> (Linux/Windows) in it?

Try the XenServer mailing lists or wiki?

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/
http://lists.xensource.com/

Ben

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Rudi Ahlers

2010/2/5 Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com>

Do you have any shared storage that you're using which supports snapshots?

If you do, then a combination of coalescing the running VM's to disk and

taking a snap and also using traditional backup methods (application aware)

to disk/tape for archival and complete failure of the storage is a

reasonable thing to do.

S.

the main problem with this, is that one client on that VM (think about shared hosting accounts on the VM) wants to restore a single file, or a few files, then you're going to have to restore the whole snapshot and a lot of other files will be lost.*

I'm experimenting with an NFS mount from our backup server. Basically, export the NFS share, and mount it inside the VM, then use your*favorite*backup procedure / software. For our cPanel VM's, we use cPanel's native backup function which makes use of rsync - and allows us to restore a single file if needed. For other VM's without a control panel, rsync also works well.*

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com