Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Ulrich Schweitzer

Default Extended partition resized during installation

Hi everybody,

I recently installed Debian Etch and it seems the installer resized my
extended partition to fit the size of the logical volumes without asking me
about it.

I installed Debian in addition to a Fedora installation which was already
installed on one of my two hard drives. Both my drives had an extended
partition that covered the whole drives and various logical volumes that
didn't fill the partion but left same spare space at the end. I created
additional logical volumes to install Debian in on one of my drives (still
leaving spare space in the partition), booted the Installation CD and used
the partitioning tool just to select the newly created volumes as
installation target. I didn't create or remove any partitions or volumes
and I didn't touch the other drive at all.

The installation went fine and I now have a working Debian Etch which is
great but I just realized that the size of extended partitiones on both
drives correspond to the logical volumes. There is no more empty space in
the partitions. The Debian installer must have shrinked those partitions to
fit the volumes.

Why did it do this?
And more importantly: How do I reverse it?

So far I have used fdisk for all my partitioning needs.

Thanks in advance
Ulrich
--
Institut für Plasmaforschung, Universität Stuttgart
Tel. 0711/685-62156

PGP key ID: 0xDF6FC4FA

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Ulrich Schweitzer

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 17:32:01 Ulrich Schweitzer wrote:

> I recently installed Debian Etch and it seems the installer resized my
> extended partition to fit the size of the logical volumes without asking
> me about it.

There are no replies, so nobody seems to know anything about this.
Maybe it is the default behaviour of the partitioning tool used during
installation. Can anybody tell me what its name is so I can investigate
futher?

Thanks in advance
Ulrich

Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:58:35AM +0100, Ulrich Schweitzer wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 17:32:01 Ulrich Schweitzer wrote:
>
> > I recently installed Debian Etch and it seems the installer resized my
> > extended partition to fit the size of the logical volumes without asking
> > me about it.
>
> There are no replies, so nobody seems to know anything about this.
> Maybe it is the default behaviour of the partitioning tool used during
> installation. Can anybody tell me what its name is so I can investigate
> futher?

I do not know the answer but it should be one of the udeb package for
installer.

You should ask debian-boot@lists.debian.org where to find tutorial for
hacking d-i.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

Good luck.

Osamu

Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Ulrich Schweitzer

On Monday 14 January 2008 12:09:30 Osamu Aoki wrote:

> I do not know the answer but it should be one of the udeb package for
> installer.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

Thank you very much.
This page led me to another page which told me that the Debian installer
uses parted for partitioning hard disks. I installed parted and it seems to
allows resizing of partitions so I now have the means to recreate my
previous layout. I still don't know why the Debian installer would shrink
the partitions in the first place but I guess it doesn't matter.

Ulrich