Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Re (2): Installing lilo in Squeeze after booting from the Lenny installer CD.

Stephen,

> I'd try the Squeeze/Sid installer or the "daily build" installer ...

Worked nicely. Wodim was able to burn the CD on
the machine itself, in a drive connected with a
USB-ATA adapter.

> ... mount the
> normal root file system somewhere, then do a chroot to that place in the
> file system.

Automated well in Rescue mode. "chroot" isn't
stated but I don't know of any likely alternative.

> ... lilo.conf ... lilo ...

All like clockwork. One remark and one question.

lilo.conf defaulted boot=/dev/hda1 whereas I
expected boot=/dev/hda. In any case, it works.

Many Web pages explain how to boot "single user"
with "linux single" at the boot prompt. OK but
I get a two line menu on the coffee picture;
managed to interrupt automatic booting but
couldn't get a prompt. What I really want is a
single user case in menu. No mention in
lilo.conf.man. Is it possible?

Thanks for all the help, ... Peter E.

--