Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default A tool for auto amplifying of wav/flac files.

Sthu Deus:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Jochen:
>
>> For FLAC there is metaflac --add-replay-gain.
>
> Can You help me w/ its usage. I tried this way (running in the flacs dir.):
>
> $ metaflac --add-replay-gain 001.flac 002.flac 003.flac
>
> - it just hangs to me.

Metaflac just doesn't produce output when computing replay gain. After
the command has finished, you should see the replay gain tags when
running 'metaflac --list 001.flac'.

What I probably should add is that metaflac (like vorbisgain) just adds
tags to the file without changing the audio content. It is up to the
player to interpret these tags and change audio output accordingly.
Recent metaflac has an (undocumented) switch
'--apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless' to change audio information
directly. But, as the name suggests, it is generally not recommended to
use it.

J.
--
I spend money without thinking on products and clothes that I believe
will enhance my social standing.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Glenn English

On Feb 7, 2010, at 6:20 AM, Sthu Deus wrote:

>> Before you go trying tools it may be useful to ask your self what you
>> are trying to accomplish. As others have pointed out in a similar
>> thread the term db is a ratio.
>
> Not correct.

Yes it is. Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

I think this thread may have drifted a bit OT, but if you want to understand the decibel, read the whole thing. Decibels are a very useful way of measuring things, but they're always a measurement relative to something else (0xffff, 1 milliwatt, threshold of hearing, .775 volts, "10db below 3% harmonic distortion caused by the onset of tape saturation" (my favorite), 100% modulation of a radio transmission carrier, etc.).

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

Old 02-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Sorry to split hairs but among countless sources here is Wikipedia

The decibel (dB) is a logarithmic unit of measurement that expresses
the magnitude of a physical quantity (usually power or intensity)
relative to a specified or implied reference level. Since it
expresses a ratio of two quantities with the same unit, it is a
dimensionless unit

Larry
Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 AM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Jochen:

>Metaflac just doesn't produce output when computing replay gain. After
>the command has finished, you should see the replay gain tags when
>running 'metaflac --list 001.flac'.
>
>What I probably should add is that metaflac (like vorbisgain) just adds
>tags to the file without changing the audio content. It is up to the
>player to interpret these tags and change audio output accordingly.
>Recent metaflac has an (undocumented) switch
>'--apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless' to change audio information
>directly. But, as the name suggests, it is generally not recommended to
>use it.

Then it is not what I wanna do - I want to change the file itself so that ANY player might read it the way I want, and of course, it should be lossless still.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Jochen Schulz

Sthu Deus:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Jochen:
>
>> '--apply-replaygain-which-is-not-lossless' to change audio information
>> directly. But, as the name suggests, it is generally not recommended to
>> use it.
>
> Then it is not what I wanna do - I want to change the file itself so
> that ANY player might read it the way I want, and of course, it should
> be lossless still.

The parameter name might be a bit misleading. Of course, the flac file
is still lossless in the sense that it contains exactly the same
information as the wav file *if the same gain had been applied to the
wav file*. But it cannot be truly lossless in the sense that the decoded
flac file contains the same information as the original wav file if only
the flac has gain applied and the wav has not.

If you use flac's built-in checkums to compare them to your wav files,
then you shouldn't use this parameter. Otherwise, I think it does
exactly what you want.

J.
--
In public I try to remain calm and to appear perceptive.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Sebastian

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:49PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Then it is not what I wanna do - I want to change the file itself so that ANY player might read it the way I want, and of course, it should be lossless still.
>
> --c8ef04c7bbaf635f1cced39b63a1f635

What I'd do in a case like that is something like this:

# decode all the flacs to wav:
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.flac' -execdir flac -d {} ;

# turn the volume up or down to achieve maximum volume on each
# individual file without distortion:
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.wav' -execdir normalize-audio --peak {} ;

# delete all the old flac files
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.flac' -delete

# re-encode to flac, deleting the wav only if the encoding is verified
# correctly (--verify):
find /path/to/flacdir/ -type f -name '*.wav' -execdir flac --best --delete-input-file --verify {} ;

Of course you could elaborate a bit on this to get it all on one
line. If you have lots of files it's gonna take a while. I don't think
there's a version of normalize-audio which operates on flacs directly
but if there is I'd be interested in knowing where to get it...

The above commands work perfect for me and I think that should do
exactly what you want. - Be careful with deleting the original files
though until you've tested the quality, volume, etc. of the results...

Hope that helps.

Cheerio

Sebastian

--
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side, and
it holds the universe together ...