Old 02-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Stephen Powell

Default Unable to download files with epiphany-browser in Squeeze

OK, guys, I know I must be doing something stupid, but I can't seem to
download files with epiphany-browser in Squeeze. I'm running a GNOME
desktop environment. The mozplugger package is installed. I also
have flashplugin-nonfree and sun-java6-plugin installed, but I'm not
sure that's relevant. Anyway, let's say that I am viewing a web
page that has a download link. I move the mouse pointer over it and
the message line on the bottom of the screen shows a URL ending in
".pdf". I single-right-click on the link, move the mouse pointer over
"save link as" on the pop-up menu, single-left-click on that and ...

nothing happens

I don't even get so much as a dialog box to specify the target directory
or file name. "Download link" doesn't work either. It works on my Lenny
system. What am I missing?
Is there a plugin package that I need but don't have? Is there
something I need to configure that isn't configured by default?
I searched the internet on the keywords

Debian Squeeze epiphany-browser "unable to download"

I got a bunch of hits but nothing looked promising in the
first page or two.

Has anyone seen this before?

I do have evince installed to view pdf files. But that shouldn't matter.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:27 AM

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 04:51:05 +0000 (UTC)

I can confirm this, doesn't seem to work for me either. I'm running
unstable.

save as doesn't work.

however shift-click does download the file to the preferences-set
download directory.

I'd file a bug report. Even if it's the lack of package or something,
then it still means there is a broken dependency.

Brian

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Tixy

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 22:47 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> OK, guys, I know I must be doing something stupid, but I can't seem to
> download files with epiphany-browser in Squeeze.
[...]
> Anyway, let's say that I am viewing a web
> page that has a download link. I move the mouse pointer over it and
> the message line on the bottom of the screen shows a URL ending in
> ".pdf". I single-right-click on the link, move the mouse pointer over
> "save link as" on the pop-up menu, single-left-click on that and ...
>
> nothing happens
<snip>

I just tried it myself and found the same thing happening. My google-fu
must be working better than yours this today ;-) First hit for search
term
debian epiphany "save link as" not working
gives

Tixy

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 03:26:00 -0500 (EST), Tixy wrote:
> I just tried it myself and found the same thing happening. My google-fu
> must be working better than yours this today ;-) First hit for search
> term
> debian epiphany "save link as" not working
> gives

Nice work, Tixy! I guess I just used the "wrong" search words.
I'll subscribe to the bug report. Thanks.

Brian, I'll try your work-around the next time I get a chance.
I don't have access to that particular computer right now.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 00:27:56 -0500 (EST), briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> I can confirm this, doesn't seem to work for me either. I'm running
> unstable.
>
> save as doesn't work.
>
> however shift-click does download the file to the preferences-set
> download directory.

I'm running testing, and your work-around to download doesn't work
for me. For pdf files, I get

Unable to open document.
Error opening file. No such file or directory.

For xls files I get

/tmp/WKPxxxxxx does not exist

where xxxxxx is text that changes with each download attempt.

I've subscribed to the bug report that Tixy found and I'm
switching to iceweasel until the bug is fixed.

Thanks Tixy and Brian for your help.