Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Tim Tebbit

Default vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-amd64?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I find I now have vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 in my boot directory.
---8<---
> I assume this will be corrected in due course but I am curious, what is
> the significance of the trunk designation?

I wondered that as well. It's been sitting in Sid for weeks now like that.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Alex Samad

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 05:52:49PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I find I now have vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 in my boot directory.
> Added, I guess, as part of a recent dist-upgrade though I didn't notice it
> (careless) in the list of new items to be installed.
>
> grub has added this kernel image to the top of the boot list but trying
> to boot with it ends in kernel panic, can't find root directory. This
I had a similiar problem when upgrading to 2.6.32-6, what I did to fix
it was rebuild the initrd - some reason grub or mkinitrd had failed when
doing it during the linux-image install

--
"I'm also mindful that man should never try to put words in God's mouth. I mean, we should never ascribe natural disasters or anything else, to God. We are in no way, shape, or form should a human being, play God."

- George W. Bush
01/14/2005
Washington, DC
Appearing on ABC's 20/20

Old 02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Florian Ernst

Hello all,

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 07:20:29PM -0500, Tim Tebbit wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I find I now have vmlinuz-2.6.32-trunk-amd64 in my boot directory.
> ---8<---
> > I assume this will be corrected in due course but I am curious, what is
> > the significance of the trunk designation?
>
> I wondered that as well. It's been sitting in Sid for weeks now like that.

FWIW, "trunk" has no stable ABI yet. However, in the last uploads the
kernel ABI had been set and thus the most recent image is 2.6.32-2, see
<http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/current/changelog>.

HTH,
Flo