Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Daniel Burrows

Default What's your tools for C++ dev?

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:30:57PM +0800, Michael Yang <michael.yxf@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm starting the C++ Developer work on linux, no GUI app involved.
>
> Could you tell me what the tools you are working with?
>
> I'm trying with g++ and vim. Is there a package containing the help doc for
> the library API, like the MSDN on Windows.

Unfortunately, programming documentation on Linux is a bit
fragmented. You can find quick documentation for the standard C stuff
in manpages-dev, but that doesn't cover C++. libstdc++6-4.2-doc has
some documentation for C++ stuff, but for the STL stl-manual. Other
library documentation tends to be either in -dev packages or in -doc
packages with a similar name: for instance, ncurses documentation is in
libncurses5-dev, but cwidget documentation is in libcwidget-doc.

Daniel

Old 01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
"Magnus Therning"

I'm starting the C++ Developer work on linux, no GUI app involved.

Could you tell me what the tools you are working with?

I'm trying with g++ and vim. Is there a package containing the help doc for the library API, like the MSDN on Windows.

Well, it all depends on what libraries/APIs you are programming against.* The OS's API is generally documented in manpages (manpages-dev).** Many libraries are accompanied by *-doc packages letting you isntall the documentation you need locally.* Some things (mostly tools in my experience) is documented in info format (IIRC it's the official documentation format for GNU packages) and if you search online you can usually find most of that for perusing in a web browser too.

So, you might say it's a bit less organised in than in the Windows world, but bear in mind that if you use non-Microsoft APIs you end up with a similarly unstructured set of documentation.

/M

Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Michael Yang wrote:

Hi all:

I'm starting the C++ Developer work on linux, no GUI app involved.

Could you tell me what the tools you are working with?

I'm trying with g++ and vim. Is there a package containing the help doc
for the library API, like the MSDN on Windows.

I use mainly Qt4 and Qt3 to do my C++.
They have loads of examples and very good docs.
For editor I use mc and I use it in textconsoles, but then test the apps
in X of course.

Hugo

Old 01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
"Felix Cuello"

Hello Michael,

First of all you have to install:

manpages-dev - Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development
manpages-posix-dev - Manual pages about using a POSIX system for development
stl-manual - C++-STL documentation in HTML

libstdc++6-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)

Then you have to find an editor that fits your requirements. There are tons of editors... nowadays I'm using an X editor and I prefer multi platform editors because I work on Windows and Linux and I want to remember just a unique set of shortcuts. My favourite editors are:

These two works on Linux and Windows
scite - Lightweight GTK-based Programming Editor
geany - A fast and lightweight IDE

Maybe you want to use a bigger editor:
eclipse - Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE

eclipse-cdt - C/C++ Development Tools for Eclipse

It is not "straightforward" to configure eclipse to work with C++. however the cdt plugin for eclipse is REALLY powerful (I've not used it for 1 or 2 years), however it has powerful features like "refactoring".

There are many other editors / IDE like:

kdevelop - An IDE for Unix/X11
kate - advanced text editor for KDE
anjuta - A GNOME development IDE for C/C++

If you do a small research over the internet you will find much more editors... that's the list I have in my head right now... but there are many other editors.

-Félix

I'm starting the C++ Developer work on linux, no GUI app involved.

Could you tell me what the tools you are working with?

I'm trying with g++ and vim. Is there a package containing the help doc for the library API, like the MSDN on Windows.

Thanks for your helps.

-M.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 AM
"Michael Yang"

OS's API is what I would need mainly.

manpages are good, but it would be better if there is a well organized documents.

For example, when I want to investigate some issues on regular _expression_, in Perl, I can use "perldoc -q reg", in Java, I can search the class name with the keyword, in Qt, I can check the classes related to regular _expression_ within "assistant" doc.

With manual pages, it seems that I have to know the exact name which exists in manuals, like "man std::iostream", to get the related manuals, but will not if the name is wrong.

-M.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 AM
"Michael Yang"

It's great, thx very much, Felix.

It's detail enough, I'm checking them out.

-M.

On Jan 9, 2008 1:59 AM, Felix Cuello <cuellof@gmail.com

Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Scott Gifford

"Michael Yang" <michael.yxf@gmail.com> writes:

[...]
> when I want to investigate some issues on regular expression, in
> Perl, I can use "perldoc -q reg", in Java, I can search the class name with the
> keyword, in Qt, I can check the classes related to regular expression within
> "assistant" doc.
>
> With manual pages, it seems that I have to know the exact name which exists in
> manuals
[...]

Try "man -k" or "apropos" to do a keyword search.

----Scott.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 11:19:46AM +0800, Michael Yang <michael.yxf@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> OS's API is what I would need mainly.
>
> manpages are good, but it would be better if there is a well organized
> documents.
>
> For example, when I want to investigate some issues on regular expression,
> in Perl, I can use "perldoc -q reg", in Java, I can search the class name
> with the keyword, in Qt, I can check the classes related to regular
> expression within "assistant" doc.
>
> With manual pages, it seems that I have to know the exact name which exists
> in manuals, like "man std::iostream", to get the related manuals, but will
> not if the name is wrong.

For stuff in the standard C library, the Info documentation is nice
when you need more detail than the manpages provide. IME, the info
pages are also more reliable.

Daniel

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 AM
hce

On 1/9/08, Felix Cuello <cuellof@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> First of all you have to install:
>
> manpages-dev - Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development
> manpages-posix-dev - Manual pages about using a POSIX system for development
> stl-manual - C++-STL documentation in HTML
> libstdc++6-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)

I could not get manpages-posix-dev:

E: Couldn't find package manpages-posix-dev

What is the manpages-posix-dev package name?

Thank you.

Jim

Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 AM
hce

On 1/9/08, Felix Cuello <cuellof@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> First of all you have to install:
>
> manpages-dev - Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development
> manpages-posix-dev - Manual pages about using a POSIX system for development
> stl-manual - C++-STL documentation in HTML
> libstdc++6-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)

Is there a package for man C++?

Thank you.

Jim