Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
"David Hammett"

Default sata hard drive mounting problem

I have a computer with debian 5.0 etch. I've added a sata
hard drive dev/sdb1 it shows up in system media folder but when I
click it I get permissions denied so tried to mount it and error no

mounting points I in /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab so I looked in fstab they

Are no settings for dev/sdb1 in it. I'm new to debian so I need to know

how to set it up so all user can use this drive.

Thanks And:
God Bless You!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
"David Hammett"

I have a computer with debian 5.0 etch. I've added a sata
hard drive dev/sdb1 it shows up in system media folder but when I
click it I get permissions denied so tried to mount it and error no
mounting points in /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab so I looked in fstab they
are no settings for dev/sdb1 in it. I'm new to debian so I need to know how
to set it up so all users can use this drive.

Thanks And:
God Bless You!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
"David Hammett"

Thanks Marco

I fixed it with this >>>

from the "root" prompt ( the pound sign)
# mkdir /media/NEW_FOLDER_NAME (whatever you want to call this folder)

# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/NEW_FOLDER_NAME

if you want to make it automount

then you can add that drive to /etc/fstab

so mine would be something like:
/dev/sdb1 /media/NEW_FOLDER_NAME ntfs defaults 0 2

-----------------------------

All I needed to do was copy some files to the new debian install,
So I just mounted it then copied my files then unmounted and pulled
the drive back out of the computer.

Thanks And:
God Bless You!

Etch is debian 4, lenny is debian 5, but this isn't the point.

I've added a sata
hard drive dev/sdb1 it shows up in system media folder but when I
click it I get permissions denied so tried to mount it and error no

mounting points I in /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab so I looked in fstab they

Are no settings for dev/sdb1 in it. I'm new to debian so I need to know

how to set it up so all user can use this drive.

Thanks And:
God Bless You!

You need add a line like this one in /etc/fstab:

/dev/device /mount/point filesistem options dump pass

For use normal user

/dev/sdb1 /media/HDD ext3 defaults,user,rw
0 0

N.B.
If you create the mount point whit a root user do you need change the owner
of the folder, is better you create a folder whit a normal user you will
like use that device.

Bye Marco