FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
josť Santos
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

Hi!

Is there a way for stopping Gnomes's CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor from
constantly nagging for the root password when I want to change my cpu's
frequency? Google wasn't much help, nor the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
2.28.0 help information on the application.

Thank you.


--
________________________________________________
Josť Santos | Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
jsantos@ubi.pt | 2.6.32.7-amd64


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Freeman
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:40:00PM +0000, josť Santos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way for stopping Gnome's CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor from
> constantly nagging for the root password when I want to change my cpu's
> frequency? Google wasn't much help, nor the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
> 2.28.0 help information on the application.
>
> Thank you.
>
>

There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
Debian way," whatever that is. I've never noticed a discussion of its
approval, maybe because the mentions were secondary to the main point.

However, a *cautious* sudoers file, that absolutely does not contain
programs that represent a security risk if hi-jacked, can be a boon. Not
for of the feint of heart--at least I found it a tough learning curve.

My suoders file requires no password from me.

cpufreq-set is listed in it.

That would let a Gnome app set the governor

or

$ sudo cpufreq-set -g ondemand

or, my preference, put above aliases named for each governor, etc.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM
John Hasler
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

Freeman writes:
> There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
> Debian way,"...

That's news to me.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Freeman
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 06:55:34PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> Freeman writes:
> > There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> > In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
> > Debian way,"...
>
> That's news to me.
> --
> John Hasler
>

Well, in numerous exchanges over the course of years, the case was made to
me and others that sudo can leave apps open to exploitation if not locked
down carefully.

To the extent that NOPASSWD is set and/or that password durations allow
continued commands and/or that users are listed more liberally than they
should be, the system is potentially open to attackers. If someone gains
your account they can use any app against your root system that sudo will
allow.

The argument was that su is the Debian replacement to sudo specifically for
reason, as far as general use goes. And that sudo is for Ubuntu users ,
or special use in Debian.

NOPASSWD is set for myself in sudo. But the only apps therein are shutdown,
if/iwconfig & iwlist, cpufreq-set and iptraf.

Anyway, that was part of my upbringing in the Debian universe. And I have
followed it. However, I'm not inclined to pretend at authority. I do this
to keep from going insane at my real business which has nothing to do with
cyberspace.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

In <20100204004432.GA2009@Europa.office>, Freeman wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 04:40:00PM +0000, josť Santos wrote:
>> Is there a way for stopping Gnome's CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor from
>> constantly nagging for the root password when I want to change my cpu's
>> frequency? Google wasn't much help, nor the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
>> 2.28.0 help information on the application.
>
>There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
>In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
>Debian way," whatever that is. I've never noticed a discussion of its
>approval, maybe because the mentions were secondary to the main point.

sudo is certainly supported by Debian. It's in main, and AFAIK well-
maintained. However, it is not part of the base Debian system, so it may not
be present on every user's system. su is part of the base system, so it is
more "portable" is some sense.

I vastly prefer sudo. It provides more options, is more fine-grained, and is
more secure in many cases. However, it remains, like most simple Linux (and
UNIX) utilities, very "raw" in that it won't aggressively advise you about
possibly dangerous (i.e. insecure or destructive) uses.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Freeman
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:54:43PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <20100204004432.GA2009@Europa.office>, Freeman wrote:
> >
> >There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> >In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
> >Debian way," whatever that is. I've never noticed a discussion of its
> >approval, maybe because the mentions were secondary to the main point.
>
> sudo is certainly supported by Debian. It's in main, and AFAIK well-
> maintained. However, it is not part of the base Debian system, so it may not
> be present on every user's system. su is part of the base system, so it is
> more "portable" is some sense.
>
> I vastly prefer sudo. It provides more options, is more fine-grained, and is
> more secure in many cases. However, it remains, like most simple Linux (and
> UNIX) utilities, very "raw" in that it won't aggressively advise you about
> possibly dangerous (i.e. insecure or destructive) uses.

On searching the Debian Reference I find constant mention of using sudo.
Unless something has changed since sarge, I surmise that I may have been
receiving admonishments designed for newbies and I didn't think to look
futher into it. Debian sudo also has a default password timeout of 15
minutes which is probably deemed acceptable for security.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM
josť Santos
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 02:04:11AM +0000, Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 06:55:34PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Freeman writes:
> > > There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> > > In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo, is "the
> > > Debian way,"...
> >
> > That's news to me.
> > --
> > John Hasler
> >
>
> Well, in numerous exchanges over the course of years, the case was made to
> me and others that sudo can leave apps open to exploitation if not locked
> down carefully.
>
> To the extent that NOPASSWD is set and/or that password durations allow
> continued commands and/or that users are listed more liberally than they
> should be, the system is potentially open to attackers. If someone gains
> your account they can use any app against your root system that sudo will
> allow.
>
> The argument was that su is the Debian replacement to sudo specifically for
> reason, as far as general use goes. And that sudo is for Ubuntu users ,
> or special use in Debian.
>
> NOPASSWD is set for myself in sudo. But the only apps therein are shutdown,
> if/iwconfig & iwlist, cpufreq-set and iptraf.
>
> Anyway, that was part of my upbringing in the Debian universe. And I have
> followed it. However, I'm not inclined to pretend at authority. I do this
> to keep from going insane at my real business which has nothing to do with
> cyberspace.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Freeman
>

I'm not a big fan of sudo, but if this can easy my life when working on my
laptop, than its definitely worth to learn. Freeman, would you be so king to
email me a copy of your suduoers file, so I can use it as an example?
I thought that this had to do with gnome policykit.
Thank you very much.

--
________________________________________________
Josť Santos | Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
jsantos@ubi.pt | 2.6.32.7-amd64


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM
"James Wu"
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

You may also want to look at gksudo, which is a gtk frontend for sudo.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Josť Santos [mailto:jsmsys@gmail.com] On Behalf Of josť Santos
Sent: February 4, 2010 4:48 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 02:04:11AM +0000, Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 06:55:34PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Freeman writes:
> > > There have been occasional mentions of sudo here, as if it were no big deal.
> > > In my original learning, it is a big deal. That is, su, not sudo,
> > > is "the Debian way,"...
> >
> > That's news to me.
> > --
> > John Hasler
> >
>
> Well, in numerous exchanges over the course of years, the case was
> made to me and others that sudo can leave apps open to exploitation if
> not locked down carefully.
>
> To the extent that NOPASSWD is set and/or that password durations
> allow continued commands and/or that users are listed more liberally
> than they should be, the system is potentially open to attackers. If
> someone gains your account they can use any app against your root
> system that sudo will allow.
>
> The argument was that su is the Debian replacement to sudo
> specifically for reason, as far as general use goes. And that sudo is
> for Ubuntu users , or special use in Debian.
>
> NOPASSWD is set for myself in sudo. But the only apps therein are
> shutdown, if/iwconfig & iwlist, cpufreq-set and iptraf.
>
> Anyway, that was part of my upbringing in the Debian universe. And I
> have followed it. However, I'm not inclined to pretend at authority.
> I do this to keep from going insane at my real business which has
> nothing to do with cyberspace.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Freeman
>

I'm not a big fan of sudo, but if this can easy my life when working on my
laptop, than its definitely worth to learn. Freeman, would you be so king to
email me a copy of your suduoers file, so I can use it as an example?
I thought that this had to do with gnome policykit.
Thank you very much.

--
________________________________________________
Josť Santos | Debian Squeeze/Sid mixed system
jsantos@ubi.pt | 2.6.32.7-amd64


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Freeman
 
Default gnome CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor nagging for password

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:48:22AM +0000, josť Santos wrote:

>
> I'm not a big fan of sudo, but if this can easy my life when working on my
> laptop, than its definitely worth to learn. Freeman, would you be so king to
> email me a copy of your suduoers file, so I can use it as an example?
> I thought that this had to do with gnome policykit.
> Thank you very much.
>

Please be sure to read the docs.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org