Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Odd

Default Free book - GNU/Linux Advanced Administration

Might be interesting for some people on this list.

http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/2

--
Odd

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Terence

On 3 February 2010 15:34, Odd <iodine@runbox.no> wrote:
> Might be interesting for some people on this list.
>
> http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/2

Thank you- something Odd here?

Saki

Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 PM
AG

Odd wrote:

Might be interesting for some people on this list.

http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/2

Yer right. 'Twas very interesting. Thanks for the link. It looks like
a pretty decent reference to the subject, and I appreciate that they
have used a Debian (as well as a Fedora Core) focus for examples of
implementation.

I have a strong feeling that I will be digging deeper into this text in
the months to come. There seems to be plenty there even for the desktop
user, such as myself.

Nice one, Odd.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Kent West

AG wrote:
> Odd wrote:
>> Might be interesting for some people on this list.
>>
>> http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/2
>>
> Yer right. 'Twas very interesting. Thanks for the link. It looks
> like a pretty decent reference to the subject, and I appreciate that
> they have used a Debian (as well as a Fedora Core) focus for examples
> of implementation.

Okay, you persuaded me to go take a look.

Why, oh why, don't "professionals" proof-read their material?

On the first page, in the first paragraph:

--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Old 02-04-2010, 07:23 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Kent West wrote:

> AG wrote:
> > Odd wrote:
> >> Might be interesting for some people on this list.
> >>
> >> http://ftacademy.org/materials/fsm/2
> >>
> > Yer right. 'Twas very interesting. Thanks for the link. It looks
> > like a pretty decent reference to the subject, and I appreciate that
> > they have used a Debian (as well as a Fedora Core) focus for examples
> > of implementation.
>
> Okay, you persuaded me to go take a look.
>
> Why, oh why, don't "professionals" proof-read their material?
>
> On the first page, in the first paragraph:
> > The GNU/Linux systems have reached an important level of maturity,
> > allowing to integrate them in almost any kind of work environment,
> > from a desktop PC to the *sever* facilities of a big company.

i'll be checking that out shortly as well, but i'm more put off by
the thought that an advanced admin book first feels the need to
evangelize the operating system.

people who are drawn to an *advanced* administration book are
typically past the point where they need to be sold on the OS.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Lee Winter

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Why, oh why, don't "professionals" proof-read their material?
>
> On the first page, in the first paragraph:
>> The GNU/Linux systems have reached an important level of maturity,
>> allowing to integrate them in almost any kind of work environment,
>> from a desktop PC to the *sever* facilities of a big company.

A legitimate issue for publishers. One problem is writers who think
spell checking is good enough. Clearly their self-expectations are
set too low.

Another problem is that it is extremely difficult for a writer to read
what he actually wrote as opposed to what he intended to write. Even
worse is the problem of what he meant by what he intended to write as
opposed to what the reader might think he meant by what he actually
wrote. This is why proofreading is a serious, professional (and thus
expensive) skill.

Multi-platform software coders learn the basics of such parallel,
multi-path interpretation when they confront the problem of multiple
compilers all of which claim to be standard, but no two of which
interpret certain code fragments the same way.

-- Lee

Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:18:21 -0500 (EST), Kent West wrote:
> Okay, you persuaded me to go take a look.
>
> Why, oh why, don't "professionals" proof-read their material?
>
> On the first page, in the first paragraph:
>> The GNU/Linux systems have reached an important level of maturity,
>> allowing to integrate them in almost any kind of work environment,
>> from a desktop PC to the *sever* facilities of a big company.

The *sever* facilities of a big company? Is that where they keep
the guillotines? Is that where they chop off the heads of the
boss' political opponents?

That's the trouble with spell checkers. They can tell you if you
used a word that's not in the dictionary, but they can't tell you
if you used the wrong word!

I once worked for a company that was merging with another
company of about the same size. The employees of both companies
were nervous about losing their jobs. The CEO wrote what was
supposed to be an upbeat article for the company newsletter
about the coming merger to try to boost morale. The first
sentence of his article was supposed to be

This is an exciting time for all of us!

But he misspelled exciting. He left out the "c". So the first
sentence of his article was

This is an exiting time for all of us!

The spell checker didn't catch it, because "exiting" is a word.
To make matters worse, the cover of the newsletter had a
picture of a man running a race! Needless to say, the boss
did not accomplish his objective. But he did, accidentally,
tell the truth. Thousands of employees lost their jobs within
a short time, including yours truly.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Odd

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

[...]

Yeah. I don't know how many books I've seen that dedicate an
entire chapter to the history of Linux, distros and whatnot. It gets
very, very annoying after a while.

--
Odd

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM
John Jason Jordan

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:58:12 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> dijo:

>The first sentence of his article was supposed to be
>
> This is an exciting time for all of us!
>
>But he misspelled exciting. He left out the "c". So the first
>sentence of his article was
>
> This is an exiting time for all of us!

Freud would had something to say about that slip of the pen.