Old 02-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Default e2defrag

I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

Thanks.

--
Stan

Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Matt Zagrabelny

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 09:18 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

sudo aptitude install apt-file
sudo apt-file update
apt-file search e2defrag

results:
defrag: /usr/sbin/e2defrag
defrag: /usr/share/man/man8/e2defrag.8.gz

cheers,

--
Matt Zagrabelny - mzagrabe@d.umn.edu - (218) 726 8844
University of Minnesota Duluth

He is not a fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot
lose.
-Jim Elliot

Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:18:35 -0600
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

What makes you think that such a file exists?

Celejar

Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4B6993CB.4040405@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

bss@monster:~% apt-file search e2defrag
bss@monster:~%

No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.

I've never heard of such a utility, either.

It should be noted that fragmentation is less of an issue on ext2/3/4 file
systems than on vfat file systems.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Matt Zagrabelny

On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 09:29 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <4B6993CB.4040405@hardwarefreak.com>, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.
>
> bss@monster:~% apt-file search e2defrag
> bss@monster:~%
>
> No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.

Indeed. I re-updated my apt-file cache and came up with the same results
- nada.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:18:35 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

Seems it was removed:

e2defrag - Unable to allocate buffer for inode priorities

RM: defrag -- RoM; orphaned upstream and out of sync with common ext2/3
features

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
"Wayne

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

Stan

It looks like there 'was' such a package but I have not heard that
phrase in a few years.

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2004/05/msg00299.html>

Sorry

Wayne

Old 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
David Baron

> >I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.
>
> bss@monster:~% apt-file search e2defrag
> bss@monster:~%
>
> No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.
>
> I've never heard of such a utility, either.
>
> It should be noted that fragmentation is less of an issue on ext2/3/4 file
> systems than on vfat file systems.

I certainly have a /usr/sbin/e2defrag.

1. Do not use on mounted/writable fs.
2. Man says if it fails, you are up the creek.
3. In other words, best to forget this one :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 2/3/2010 9:29 AM:

> No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.
>
> I've never heard of such a utility, either.

I think I found what happened to it:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-December/030918.html

> It should be noted that fragmentation is less of an issue on ext2/3/4 file
> systems than on vfat file systems.

Its fragmentation performance in relation to vfat is irrelevant. Read the works
of the folks at MIT who wrote EXT2. It *will* fragment over time, just not
quite as bad as some other "modern" filesystems. The worst fragmentation
scenario is appending large files over time. And guess what I have stored on
one of my EXT2 filesystems? Yes, you guessed it, mbox files. I keep all my
mail, all list mail, including debian-user, in mbox files (dovecot). They're
only a combined 200MB at this point, but they will only continue to grow, and
continue to become more fragmented. Thus, I started looking for a defrag tool
for EXT2. It appears that Debian removed it from the distro for fear that ppl
would use it on EXT3/4 filesystems and corrupt them as e2defrag only works on
EXT2. It's apparently not been updated to work with the journals and other data
structures of EXT3/4.

Luckily I've got a dedicated /home partition where these mbox files are stored.
So worst case scenario I can just create a new XFS partition in my unallocated
space and move everything over. XFS has a non-destructive online defragger, and
it's a superior filesystem to EXT2/3/4, Resiser, and JFS anyway. Matter of
fact XFS has some really nice management tools, light years ahead of EXT2/3/4
and Reiser.

I love having so many good choices available to solve a (potential) problem.

--
Stan

Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 11:03:18 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> XFS has a non-destructive
> online defragger, and it's a superior filesystem to EXT2/3/4, Resiser, and
> JFS anyway. Matter of fact XFS has some really nice management tools,
> light years ahead of EXT2/3/4 and Reiser.

Can you shrink XFS at all yet?

If not, it's a non-starter for me. I'll have to wait for BTrFS.

Otherwise, I'll start migration now-ish. I really need to get off ReiserFS
before it completely bit-rots.