Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Default debian-user-digest Digest V2010 #199

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 15:47:37 +0000 (UTC)

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 03:42:57PM +0200, Aioanei Rares
> wrote:
> > A more practical approach : what should the average user
> > do in order to get his/her Debian back after this GRUB
> > bug?
>
> Stick to stable in future, that's what.

I don't think that's very helpful. I would have stuck with stable
but had hardware issues which forced me to use unstable. They were
kernel related, so maybe I could install stable, upgrade a newer
kernel, etc...

To answer the original question, I perused the debian bug-list and a
thoughtful person posted a relatively thorough procedure on how to
recover. It goes something like:

boot netinst

enter "rescue"

chroot to make the mounted partition, i.e. my root partition, /

apt-get is now available

using my _other_ computer download the old, working version of grub

re-install old working version

reboot :-)

My new plan was to install lilo. Really, if you can use it, you
should. It's much easier to understand and use.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Clive Standbridge

> > Stick to stable in future, that's what.
>
> I don't think that's very helpful. I would have stuck with stable
> but had hardware issues which forced me to use unstable. They were
> kernel related, so maybe I could install stable, upgrade a newer
> kernel, etc...

It should be feasible to install stable, plus a newer kernel from
backports.org (I have used that approach successfully with an earlier
release).

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Jon Dowland

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:54:37PM -0800, briand@aracnet.com
wrote:
> I don't think that's very helpful. I would have stuck
> with stable but had hardware issues which forced me to use
> unstable. They were kernel related, so maybe I could
> install stable, upgrade a newer kernel, etc...

You're right, it's somewhat facetious for which I apologise.
My point (which I stand by, even if the way in which I
explained it I do not) is if you use unstable, prepare to be
bitten. I don't have a problem with people asking for help
when they get stuck, but a lot of people seem to be frankly
whining about the grub migration which is unreasonable if
they are running a development branch. Things break in sid
so that they don't do in stable.

> re-install old working version

This helps you out, for now, but it doesn't help the grub2
maintainers improve the migration process to make it more
tolerable. Also when grub is removed from Debian, which it
will be, you will go through this all over again.

> My new plan was to install lilo. Really, if you can use
> it, you should. It's much easier to understand and use.

Lilo has too many shortcomings for it to be a viable
solution for most people. However, if it works for you,
great!

--
Jon Dowland

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Jon Dowland

Just a quick pointer about mailing lists: if you are
subscribed to the digest and reply to a message within it,
please set your Subject line to something meaningful, do not
leave it as the Digest subject, or it appears disjoint for
other people trying to follow the conversation.

--
Jon Dowland