Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Stephen Powell

Default Installing lilo in Squeeze after booting from the Lenny installer CD.

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:48:46 -0500 (EST), PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> How does this sound?
> * Boot from the Lenny installer CD and go into rescue mode.
> * In the page entitled "Rescue operations" do "Execute a shell in /dev/hda1".
> (The system on /dev/hda1 is Squeeze as described previously.)
> * apt-get install lilo
> I've never installed it. With any luck installation to the MBR
> & configuration will be automated processes.
> * Reboot.

I've never actually done this exact thing under these exact
circumstances; so I'm going from memory,
but here's what I'm thinking.

Ideally you want to boot from a rescue CD that runs the same
kernel release as a kernel installed on your hard drive, so that
modules for your running kernel can be found in /lib/modules/
after the switch from the initial RAM file system as / to
the permanent root file system as /.
I'd try the Squeeze/Sid installer or the "daily build" installer
to try to get a kernel match. And you want to specify the root file system
as the same partition as what would normally be mounted as root.

Something like

Rescue root=...

If you can't get a kernel match, then run the installer in expert mode
up to the point where you partition disks, invoke a shell, mount the
normal root file system somewhere, then do a chroot to that place in the
file system. For example, if you mount it on /mnt, then do

chroot /mnt

to get a nested shell that treats the "normal" root file system as
the root partition. Then do your "apt-get install lilo" After
installation, check out /etc/lilo.conf and compare with the documentation

man lilo.conf

Once you've got your config file tuned up, issue the command

lilo

with no operands to rewrite the MBR.

> Can the grub packages be left installed?

Yes. However, I recommend that you purge them for the following reasons:
(1) It's broken anyway. That's why you're installing lilo, right?
(2) If a kernel upgrade subsequently occurs, the post-install scripts
might get confused as to what boot loader to run
(3) You can always install it again if you need to

> Any corrections or tips?

Anybody else out there have any corrections or tips?
Did I overlook something?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Tony Nelson

On 10-02-02 22:13:01, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:48:46 -0500 (EST), PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> > How does this sound?
> > * Boot from the Lenny installer CD and go into rescue mode.
> > * In the page entitled "Rescue operations" do "Execute a shell in
> /dev/hda1".
> > (The system on /dev/hda1 is Squeeze as described previously.)
> > * apt-get install lilo
> > I've never installed it. With any luck installation to the MBR
> > & configuration will be automated processes.
> > * Reboot.
> >

> I've never actually done this exact thing under these exact
> circumstances; so I'm going from memory,
> but here's what I'm thinking.
>
> Ideally you want to boot from a rescue CD that runs the same
> kernel release as a kernel installed on your hard drive, so that
> modules for your running kernel can be found in /lib/modules/
> after the switch from the initial RAM file system as / to
> the permanent root file system as /.

I don't think that's the right approach. Instead, boot the installer
in Rescue mode, chroot to the installation, and do the boot loader
install from there. See the Debian Installer FAQ
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q.3ACanIused-iasarescuesystem.3FWhatpitfallsarethere.3F>

Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Stephen Powell

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:16:32 -0500 (EST), Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 10-02-02 22:13:01, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:48:46 -0500 (EST), PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
>>> How does this sound?
>>> * Boot from the Lenny installer CD and go into rescue mode.
>>> * In the page entitled "Rescue operations" do "Execute a shell in
>>> /dev/hda1".
>>> (The system on /dev/hda1 is Squeeze as described previously.)
>>> * apt-get install lilo
>>> I've never installed it. With any luck installation to the MBR
>>> & configuration will be automated processes.
>>> * Reboot.
>>

>> I've never actually done this exact thing under these exact
>> circumstances; so I'm going from memory,
>> but here's what I'm thinking.
>>
>> Ideally you want to boot from a rescue CD that runs the same
>> kernel release as a kernel installed on your hard drive, so that
>> modules for your running kernel can be found in /lib/modules/
>> after the switch from the initial RAM file system as / to
>> the permanent root file system as /.
>
> I don't think that's the right approach. Instead, boot the installer
> in Rescue mode, chroot to the installation, and do the boot loader
> install from there. See the Debian Installer FAQ
> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ#Q.3ACanIused-iasarescuesystem.3FWhatpitfallsarethere.3F>

You only half quoted me. I gave your procedure as an alternate procedure,
but you didn't quote that part. The procedure that I suggested
to try first is superior, in my opinion, because, if it works,
it allows him to boot his full production system (X and all). The rescue
CD essentially becomes a portable bootloader. The chroot procedure
can be used as well, but a rescue CD which runs the same exact
kernel that he has installed on his hard drive and which is booted
with "root=..." pointing to his permanent root file system essentially
becomes a portable boot loader, allowing him to boot his full
production system.