Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Stuckey

Default Fwd: Scanners

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported
hardware list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many
listed there and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't
list the last time it was updated.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they
have personal experience.

Thanks,
J. Stuckey

Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:59:31 +0100, Stuckey wrote:

> I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware
> list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there
> and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't list the last
> time it was updated.
>
> Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have
> personal experience.

What are your scanning requirements? Do you have any device in mind?

I prefer stand-alone scanners instead those "all-in-one" but I have to
admit that "combos" can be useful under some circumstances (litte space
in home or low budget). One point they have in favour is that they
usually include the ADF at no extra cost :-)

As per brands and models, it will heavily depend on your specific needs.
If "none" applies, most people under Linux is reporting success with
HPLIP drivers (printing, scanning and fax), but there many others that
can fit under your requirements (Epson, Brother, Canon...).

Just take into account that support for these devices varies *a lot*
under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine
with any of the drivers available out there (hplip, sane backends, iscan -
avasys-...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM

HP PhotoSmart C3180 All-in-one, three years of use and counting with Full support on Debian.

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:59:31 +0100, Stuckey wrote:

> I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware
> list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there
> and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't list the last
> time it was updated.
>
> Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have
> personal experience.

What are your scanning requirements? Do you have any device in mind?

I prefer stand-alone scanners instead those "all-in-one" but I have to
admit that "combos" can be useful under some circumstances (litte space
in home or low budget). One point they have in favour is that they
usually include the ADF at no extra cost :-)

As per brands and models, it will heavily depend on your specific needs.
If "none" applies, most people under Linux is reporting success with
HPLIP drivers (printing, scanning and fax), but there many others that
can fit under your requirements (Epson, Brother, Canon...).

Just take into account that support for these devices varies *a lot*
under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine
with any of the drivers available out there (hplip, sane backends, iscan -
avasys-...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta (BB) <olafrv@gmail.com>
http://olafrv.googlepages.com

Old 02-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Camaleón

2010/2/3 Stuckey:

(You forget to reply to the list)

> I had an "all-in"one" HP (CM1312) which I wasn't satisfied with. I'm now
> going to get an older Laserjet 4 and a stand alone scanner.

You meant Scanjet 4c? That was a very good scanner (we had one in our
office, it was bundled with an ISA SCSI card) but a bit old :-)

> I want a quality scanner, but I know I don't need anything
"professional". I
> scan the occasional picture and document. I want good quality scans, and
> above all, I want it to be a quality piece of hardware that *works well
> natively* on Debian. I don't know how much something like this costs,
so I
> don't have a maximum price. It would also be nice if I had something
that
> allowed the easy creation of Pdf files - in comparison to what I had to
do
> with my HP, which was scan it as .tiff and then convert it.

The PDF export funcionality comes with the scanning software, so you'll
have to check if that option is available in XSane or whatever program
you are planning to use to adquire the images.

Anyway, nowadays there are many graphics applications (i.e., The Gimp or
OOo) using TWAIN that will allow you to perform a direct import of the
scanned image and then saving into PDF.

> How do I determine which of the newest models of a manufacture are
> supported? There's a list at sane, but it doesn't say when it was last
> updated.

Asking people, I'm afraid.

Scanners are a "dark" world in Linux, some work very fine and others do
not work at all. Just pick some models you like (which fit your budget
and technical specs are fine for you) and ask here for some feedback.
Most surely someone can share his/her experience.

Carefull with HP standalone scanners: many of their newest models are not
supported :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
godo

Stuckey wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware
list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there
and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't list the last
time it was updated.

Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have
personal experience.

Thanks,
J. Stuckey

As Camaleón said depends what you wont to scan.
If you need to scan books you will need scanner with "Z lid". For
scanning photo negatives take scanner that have frame for few negatives
or roll, it will save your time and nerves.

For scanning photos chose scanner with more dpi.
--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Old 02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 3 February 2010 14:28, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 01:59:31 +0100, Stuckey wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported hardware
>> list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many listed there
>> and I know nothing about scanners. The list also doesn't list the last
>> time it was updated.
>>
>> Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they have
>> personal experience.
>
> What are your scanning requirements? Do you have any device in mind?
>
> I prefer stand-alone scanners instead those "all-in-one" but I have to
> admit that "combos" can be useful under some circumstances (litte space
> in home or low budget). One point they have in favour is that they
> usually include the ADF at no extra cost :-)
>
> As per brands and models, it will heavily depend on your specific needs.
> If "none" applies, most people under Linux is reporting success with
> HPLIP drivers (printing, scanning and fax), but there many others that
> can fit under your requirements (Epson, Brother, Canon...).
>
> Just take into account that support for these devices varies *a lot*
> under Linux: be sure that your exact model is detected and works fine
> with any of the drivers available out there (hplip, sane backends, iscan -
> avasys-...).

Our all-in-one HP 4255 works great in *buntu, so it is safe to assume
Debian support. Highly recommended if you don't need a flat bed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Stuckey

I've noticed that they're a "dark" area. I wish there was something I
could do to fix that.

Thanks again for the help,
jhs

Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Bob McGowan

Stuckey wrote:
> I've noticed that they're a "dark" area. I wish there was something I
> could do to fix that.
>
> Thanks again for the help,
> jhs
>
> Quoting Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
>
>> 2010/2/3 Stuckey:
>>
>> (You forget to reply to the list)
>>
>>> I had an "all-in"one" HP (CM1312) which I wasn't satisfied with. I'm now
>>> going to get an older Laserjet 4 and a stand alone scanner.

--deleted extra--

SANE's website (http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html)
lists supported scanners.

That may help in finding one that works nicely with Linux.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Johann Spies

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:59:31AM +0100, Stuckey wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a scanner. I've looked at the supported
> hardware list on http://www.sane-project.org though there are many
> listed there and I know nothing about scanners. The list also
> doesn't list the last time it was updated.
>
> Perhaps someone here can recommend a model or brand with which they

I have an Epson Perfection 3170 which is a very nice scanner. There
are two drawbacks:

1. The driver is free but not open source and can be downloaded from
www.avasys.jp/.
2. The driver(iscan) only works on 32-bit systems. A workaround if you have
a 64-bit system is to install a 32-bit system in a Virtualbox (not the
ose-version) that can use the host's usb-system.

There are a few howto's on how to install it on ubuntu - which may
work for Debian also. Once it is installed you can use the scanner
from the normal sane-tools and other programs like scan2pdf and gimp.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4599

"That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
things in heaven, and things in earth, and things
under the earth; And that every tongue should confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the
Father." Philippians 2:10,11

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Andrew Malcolmson

My HP All-in-One scans fine using HPLIP. If you buy a new one from
the store, you may have to download the latest HPLIP version to
support it. The HPLIP website has a nice wizard that shows you if the
distro version is new enough or if you need the download.

Don't get the units that have wireless but not Ethernet as you *may*
need a Windows or Mac computer to do the first time wireless setup
(this feature for Linux I believe still getting the bugs worked out).