Old 02-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Paul E Condon

Default apt-listbugs question

The recent flurry of discussion under "don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! ...",
prompted me to install apt-listbugs, since I am running squeeze and pretty
doing upgrades fairly frequently without any real protection against bugs
getting into squeeze from sid. What is claimed for apt-listbugs sounded good,
but ...

I can't figure out how to get apt-listbugs to work.
Can someone post an example of the use of apt-listbugs? I mean the actual text
of what one types to get something other than error messages from it.
Is a user supposed to run it from an xterm window? I don't have any tweeking of
the squeeze install, it is pretty much what one gets using the business-card
CD from December time frame. I do have a local proxy using approx that has been
working for many months.

Error messages are:
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

I'm in USA. Whatever locale settings that I have, were set up by
answering questions in the business-card install scripts from about a
month ago. I'm pretty sure I simply accepted the defaults offered by
the script, as I have no competence in any language other than
(American) English.

It doesn't seem to need super user to run. All the options seem to be for
ways to restrict the output. But I'd like to have an unrestricted output
of all bugs in all installed packages --- at least until I see too much
for a while. But beyond those there lines, I get nothing. I don't believe
there are no outstanding bugs in squeeze.

What should I do to make it give output?

Thanks,
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 AM
"Wayne

Paul E Condon wrote:

The recent flurry of discussion under "don't upgrade grub or grub-pc ! ...",
prompted me to install apt-listbugs, since I am running squeeze and pretty
doing upgrades fairly frequently without any real protection against bugs
getting into squeeze from sid. What is claimed for apt-listbugs sounded good,
but ...

I can't figure out how to get apt-listbugs to work.
Can someone post an example of the use of apt-listbugs? I mean the actual text
of what one types to get something other than error messages from it.
Is a user supposed to run it from an xterm window? I don't have any tweeking of
the squeeze install, it is pretty much what one gets using the business-card
CD from December time frame. I do have a local proxy using approx that has been
working for many months.

<-- SNIP --->

while connected to the net..

apt-listbugs list grub-pc
Reading package fields... Done
Reading package status... Done
Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
grave bugs of grub-pc (-> ) <marked as done in some version>
#565160 - Linux console garbled after experimental grub-pc boot
(Fixed: grub2/1.98~experimental.20100120-1)

#567219 - corrupt read of files from CDROM (Fixed: grub2/1.98~20100128-1)
critical bugs of grub-pc (-> ) <unfixed>
#568001 - grub-pc: grub locks up the machine
grave bugs of grub-pc (-> ) <unfixed>
#554790 - use /dev/disk/by-uuid (or similiar) for grub-pc/install_devices
Merged with: 558312 558748 561766 564928 565210 567230 567582
#564844 - grub-pc: Fonts don't show in the new graphical boot menu
#566538 - errors may cause menuentry to abort
#550632 - grub-pc: chainload from legacy fails with bios disk error
#557425 - lenny->squeeze upgrade, debconf defaults -> system unbootable
Merged with: 558747
#550704 - grub-pc - Needs to handle symlinks in /dev/mapper
Merged with: 552056
#547944 - grub-pc: upgrade-from-grub-legacy option to install in a
given hard disk is tricky

#548648 - grub-pc misdetects md RAID layout and fails to initialize
#567618 - /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem.
Merged with: 567637
#565706 - grub-pc: grub2 enters rescue mode with "fd0 cannot get C/H/S
values"
#550477 - grub-pc: after update-from-grub-legacy the system stopped
booting

#551319 - [grub] grub: crashes frequently on boot
serious bugs of grub-pc (-> ) <unfixed>
#546822 - apt-get update of grub-pc daisychained from -legacy boots
into -pc

Now you know why the 'grub don't install' thread got going.

Wayne

Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:01:42 -0700
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> I can't figure out how to get apt-listbugs to work.
> Can someone post an example of the use of apt-listbugs? I mean the actual text
> of what one types to get something other than error messages from it.

I believe that aptitude runs it automatically when installing /
upgrading packages- at least it does here, and I'm pretty sure that I
didn't have to set up anything manually.

> Is a user supposed to run it from an xterm window? I don't have any tweeking of
> the squeeze install, it is pretty much what one gets using the business-card
> CD from December time frame. I do have a local proxy using approx that has been
> working for many months.

I, too, use approx.

> Error messages are:
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>
> I'm in USA. Whatever locale settings that I have, were set up by
> answering questions in the business-card install scripts from about a
> month ago. I'm pretty sure I simply accepted the defaults offered by
> the script, as I have no competence in any language other than
> (American) English.

These are common error messages. I'm not sure what they mean, but they
aren't relevant to your problem.

> It doesn't seem to need super user to run. All the options seem to be for
> ways to restrict the output. But I'd like to have an unrestricted output
> of all bugs in all installed packages --- at least until I see too much
> for a while. But beyond those there lines, I get nothing. I don't believe
> there are no outstanding bugs in squeeze.

No. Read the man page - you don't seem to be invoking it correctly.
It needs a command; try

apt-listbugs list somepackage

I don't see that there's any way to tell it to list all bugs in any
package.

Celejar

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Vincent Lefevre

On 2010-02-02 21:33:45 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 18:01:42 -0700
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> > Error messages are:
> > locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> > locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> >
> > I'm in USA. Whatever locale settings that I have, were set up by
> > answering questions in the business-card install scripts from about a
> > month ago. I'm pretty sure I simply accepted the defaults offered by
> > the script, as I have no competence in any language other than
> > (American) English.
>
> These are common error messages. I'm not sure what they mean, but they
> aren't relevant to your problem.

and yes, they are irrelevant to the problem.