Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Default Grandma uses Logitech Vid, how to chat with her with Debian?

Sirs, Grandma says: "I have a 2-way camera installation on my computer,
It's called Logitech Video. (It only cost $28.00 on sale, and John
installed it for me) The software was down-loaded free."

Apparently the software she installed was Logitech® Vid™.

Alas, on
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/584/6164%26cl=us,en?section=downloads&WT.ac=os|5788||v idDL
there is no Linux version of Logitech® Vid™.

I have a EEEPC 702 (with its UVC webcam that works fine with luvcview).
What Debian package can I install in order to be able to video chat with
my super-old grandma?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 03:42:55 +0800
jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Sirs, Grandma says: "I have a 2-way camera installation on my computer,
> It's called Logitech Video. (It only cost $28.00 on sale, and John
> installed it for me) The software was down-loaded free."
>
> Apparently the software she installed was Logitech® Vid™.
>
> Alas, on
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/584/6164%26cl=us,en?section=downloads&WT.ac=os|5788||v idDL
> there is no Linux version of Logitech® Vid™.
>
> I have a EEEPC 702 (with its UVC webcam that works fine with luvcview).
> What Debian package can I install in order to be able to video chat with
> my super-old grandma?

Assuming that her camera is working (on a Windows system?), you can
probably use any video chat program that is cross-platform and has a
Windows version available, or even better, any program that uses open
standards for which there's a Win implementation.

E.g., Ekiga uses SIP, so if she installs a SIP client, you should be
good to go.

Of course, the above is theory. In practice, you may run into bumps
along the way. Video chat is not the maturest of areas in terms of
compatibility and plug-and-play.

Celejar

Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Antonio Perez

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Sirs, Grandma says: "I have a 2-way camera installation on my computer,
> It's called Logitech Video. (It only cost $28.00 on sale, and John
> installed it for me) The software was down-loaded free."
>
> Apparently the software she installed was Logitech® Vid™.
>
> Alas, on

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/584/6164%26cl=us,en?section=downloads&WT.ac=os|
5788||vidDL
> there is no Linux version of Logitech® Vid™.
>
> I have a EEEPC 702 (with its UVC webcam that works fine with luvcview).
> What Debian package can I install in order to be able to video chat with
> my super-old grandma?

Skype?

It's closed source but it works both win and deb.

--
Antonio Perez

Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:11:55 -0400, Antonio Perez in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
>> Sirs, Grandma says: "I have a 2-way camera installation on my computer,
>> It's called Logitech Video. (It only cost $28.00 on sale, and John
>> installed it for me) The software was down-loaded free."
>>
>> Apparently the software she installed was Logitech® Vid™.
>>
>> Alas, on
>>
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/584/6164%26cl=us,en?section=downloads&WT.ac=os|
> 5788||vidDL
>> there is no Linux version of Logitech® Vid™.
>>
>> I have a EEEPC 702 (with its UVC webcam that works fine with luvcview).
>> What Debian package can I install in order to be able to video chat with
>> my super-old grandma?

Check out Google's Talk - It can do video. Also check out Pidgin; it
has video capability via plugins.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 AM

SF> Check out Google's Talk - It can do video.
Google Talk video doesn't seem to have a Linux version.
SF> Also check out Pidgin; it has video capability via plugins.
Hmmm, I see on http://www.pidgin.im that it can connect to Google Talk...
Well OK, but for now Skype works...

Old 02-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 10:40:14AM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> SF> Check out Google's Talk - It can do video.
> Google Talk video doesn't seem to have a Linux version.

The protocol it uses is Jingle. I'm not sure if either one of Empathy,
Pidgin or Kopete support video in it. In fact, I'm not sure how well
they support audio in it.

> SF> Also check out Pidgin; it has video capability via plugins.
> Hmmm, I see on http://www.pidgin.im that it can connect to Google Talk...
> Well OK, but for now Skype works...

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 07:52:06 +0000
Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

> > SF> Check out Google's Talk - It can do video.
> > Google Talk video doesn't seem to have a Linux version.
>
> The protocol it uses is Jingle. I'm not sure if either one of Empathy,
> Pidgin or Kopete support video in it. In fact, I'm not sure how well
> they support audio in it.

Last time I tried, Pidgin wasn't working very well:

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10697

Celejar

Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:59:40 -0500, Celejar in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 07:52:06 +0000
> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

>> > Google Talk video doesn't seem to have a Linux version.
>>
>> The protocol it uses is Jingle. I'm not sure if either one of Empathy,
>> Pidgin or Kopete support video in it. In fact, I'm not sure how well
>> they support audio in it.
>
> Last time I tried, Pidgin wasn't working very well:
>
> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10697

Ah sorry guys for the wrong direction.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
"S. Fishpaste"

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:02:29 -0500, S. Fishpaste in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 08:59:40 -0500, Celejar in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 07:52:06 +0000
>> Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

>>> The protocol it uses is Jingle. I'm not sure if either one of Empathy,
>>> Pidgin or Kopete support video in it. In fact, I'm not sure how well
>>> they support audio in it.
>>
>> Last time I tried, Pidgin wasn't working very well:
>>
>> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/10697
>
> Ah sorry guys for the wrong direction.

Replying to my own post; Have new information.

Since GChat doesn't work on Linux, looks like this new product will;
They claim that no plugin is required.
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/02/08/social-os-pipio-dropped-beta-tag-friends/

Perhaps you and your Grandma can sign up -- FWIU it's free.