Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Johann Spies

Default Virtualization - what do You recommend?

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:19:49PM +0100, Rafa? Radecki wrote:

> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use one of
> the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like LVM
> snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest will be used
> as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?

I use VirtualBox.

Before you decide you can have a look at a recent Linux Journal article:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10528 with the title:
Virtualization Shootout: VMware Server vs. VirtualBox vs. KVM

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4599

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the
world. If any man love the world, the love of the
Father is not in him...And the world passeth away, and
the lust thereof; but he that doeth the will of God
abideth for ever." I John 2:15,17

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Odd

olafrv@gmail.com wrote:

Also you can use Xen but you still need special hardware like the
latest CPUs from AMD or Intel for Windows run...

Be careful though. Not all of Intel's latest stuff has hardware support
for virtualization. Check this list before buying:
http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

All of AMDs latest 64bit processors have hardware support for
virtualization Here's the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_processors

The later ones with AMD-V are the ones with hardware virtualization
support.

--
Odd

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> :
> but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD or
> Intel

It was true 2 years ago.
Most CPUs are now OK, unless those on netbooks.

But who would virtualize on a netbook?

The requested feature is "VT" for Intel (look for it on
http://processorfinder.intel.com/) and for AMD, you need to find out
somewhere in the AMD website...:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/virtualization/Pages/virtualization.aspx

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Odd wrote:

> olafrv@gmail.com wrote:
> > Also you can use Xen but you still need special hardware like the
> > latest CPUs from AMD or Intel for Windows run...
>
> Be careful though. Not all of Intel's latest stuff has hardware
> support for virtualization. Check this list before buying:
> http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

as i recall, some CPUs actually have HW virt support, but it's been
disabled in the BIOS. can anyone find something online that describes
anyone who tripped over such a situation, and attempted to (re)enable
that on their own?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Odd <iodine@runbox.no> :
> The later ones with AMD-V are the ones with hardware virtualization
> support.

By the way, surprisingly, there is no web fronted on the AMD website in
order to look for CPU specs, and the piece of software for detecting
virtualization ability (on their website) is windows only.

On the other hand, looking for that information is quite easy on linux:
- Intel CPU: grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo
- AMD CPU: grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

Just "grep", no need of a zipped .exe.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Les Mikesell

Rafa? Radecki wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use
> one of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like
> LVM snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest
> will be used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?

What else are you going to run? VMware Esxi is probably the best if the windows
guest(s) are the main priority. I think you need a windows box to run the
vSphere client to manage it, though (but it is very nice, letting you do things
like connect your client cd/dvd to the guest for installs, etc.) VMware server
would be OK if the guest(s) are somewhat secondary and you also run some
services directly on the host. It has the down side that whenever you update
the host kernel you need to reboot the guests and run through the configuration
step before they'll restart.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Angus Hedger

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@gulfsat.mg> wrote:

> Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> :

> but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD or

> Intel

It was true 2 years ago.

Most CPUs are now OK, unless those on netbooks.

But who would virtualize on a netbook?

The requested feature is "VT" for Intel (look for it on

http://processorfinder.intel.com/) and for AMD, you need to find out

somewhere in the AMD website...:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/virtualization/Pages/virtualization.aspx

--

* * * Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:

* *Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement

* * * * * * * *+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Hey,
I have used Sun Virtual box for a long time both on windows and linux, for a bit of casual windows/linux*visualisation, and the only problem I have had is that the OSE has no support for virtual usb.

Regards,
Angus.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Odd

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
Odd <iodine@runbox.no> :
The later ones with AMD-V are the ones with hardware virtualization

support.

By the way, surprisingly, there is no web fronted on the AMD website in
order to look for CPU specs, and the piece of software for detecting
virtualization ability (on their website) is windows only.

Yeah, AMD's website sucks in many ways. Intel's site makes it much
easier to find info.

On the other hand, looking for that information is quite easy on linux:
- Intel CPU: grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo
- AMD CPU: grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

Just "grep", no need of a zipped .exe.

Cool, didn't know that.

--
Odd

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Odd

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

Also you can use Xen but you still need special hardware like the
latest CPUs from AMD or Intel for Windows run...

Be careful though. Not all of Intel's latest stuff has hardware
support for virtualization. Check this list before buying:
http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

as i recall, some CPUs actually have HW virt support, but it's been
disabled in the BIOS. can anyone find something online that describes
anyone who tripped over such a situation, and attempted to (re)enable
that on their own?

I had to enable it in the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard. It was
very easy though, juse enable or disable.

--
Odd

Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Michal

On 02/02/2010 13:43, Odd wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> Be careful though. Not all of Intel's latest stuff has hardware
>>> support for virtualization. Check this list before buying:
>>> http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx
>>
>> as i recall, some CPUs actually have HW virt support, but it's been
>> disabled in the BIOS. can anyone find something online that describes
>> anyone who tripped over such a situation, and attempted to (re)enable
>> that on their own?
>
> I had to enable it in the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard. It was
> very easy though, juse enable or disable.

I can back this up, it will be in the BIOS. Also, ESXi 4.0 needs it
turned on. If you get the Intel website for CPU specs you will find a
table telling you if it has it or not. For example;

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=594