Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Andrew Perrin

Default nm-applet requests secrets for non-secured network

Good morning-

I am trying to move away from using ifup/ifdown and manually editing
/etc/network/interfaces to manage the wireless network on my laptop.
For reasons I can't change, the wireless network I'm connecting to is open
(no security). It works fine with the entry in /etc/network/interfaces
using:

wireless-essid <ESSID>
wireless-key off

and when it shows up in the list under the network-manager applet in
gnome, the security icon is *not* displayed.

However, when I attempt to connect to the network using network manager, a
dialog comes up that says:

Authentication required by wireless network
Passwords or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network
'<ESSID>'.

Wireless security: (drop-down box: None)

the only option is "None," the "connect" button is grayed out, and
"cancel" is the only actual option.

The log shows:

Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) starting connection 'Auto <ESSID>'
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 3 -> 4 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) scheduled...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) started...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) scheduled...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 1 of 5 (Device Prepare) complete.
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) starting...
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 4 -> 5 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0/wireless): access point 'Auto <ESSID>' has security, but secrets are required.
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6 (reason 0)
Feb 1 22:19:33 fanon NetworkManager: <info> Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.

Here's the kicker: changing the AP to a different ESSID and connecting to
that one works fine! I therefore think there's something stored on the
laptop that is making it "guess" that it needs security secrets. I've
wiped out ~/.gconf/apps/nm-applet with no luck.

System information:
Laptop is a Lenovo X61 tablet. Wireless is a built in Atheros AR5212 which
uses the ath5k driver. Kernel is the stock debian 2.6.32-trunk-amd64.
network-manager is version 0.7.2-2.

Thanks for any pointers!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Jon Dowland

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:04:50AM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Here's the kicker: changing the AP to a different ESSID and
> connecting to that one works fine! I therefore think there's
> something stored on the laptop that is making it "guess" that it
> needs security secrets. I've wiped out ~/.gconf/apps/nm-applet with
> no luck.

Sigh, network-manager caching fun. It's probably cached a
secret for that ESSID (for whatever reason) in the gnome
keyring. Use gnome-keyring-manager (if you're using stable)
to find and delete the cached entry.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Andrew Perrin

Fabulous, thanks for the pointer. I ended up having to delete
~/.gnome2/keyrings/login.keyring and now it works fine.

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor and Associate Chair of Sociology
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA