FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Arthur Marsh
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:30:47 -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:


Camaleón wrote:



Mmm... I think "LABEL" would take precedence over another mount option

<<(UUID, ID or PATH) so if you "tag" your media device with a LABEL, it

should be mounted when plugged under "/media/mylabel".

Well Label didn't work in my case either - I gave the USB drive a
label
of Music...then changed fstab to the LABEL=Music from /dev/sda1

The drive did not get mounted and I had to go back to /dev/sda1

But as long as /dev/sda1 is used, there is no fsck of the drive.


You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of your
DE hotplug capabilities.


Greetings,



As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
after the machine is booted.


I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
USB flash drive present.


Any takers for suggestions?

Arthur.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Camaleón
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:

>> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
>> your DE hotplug capabilities.
>>
> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
> after the machine is booted.

As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.

> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
> USB flash drive present.

That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.

> Any takers for suggestions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Pier Paolo
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Il giorno mer, 03/02/2010 alle 16.35 +0000, Camaleón ha scritto:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>
> > Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:
>
> >> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
> >> your DE hotplug capabilities.
> >>
> > As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
> > flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
> > present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
> > after the machine is booted.
>
> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>
> > I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
> > USB flash drive present.
>
> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
> > Any takers for suggestions?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón
>
>

Maybe OT: what about executing a sh command on specific usb drive
mounts, on gnome and kde? As of as i recall from the debian wiki that's
not explained. Maybe in gentoo docs, i'll see.

Thanks for any hints.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Arthur Marsh
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Pier Paolo wrote, on 04/02/10 04:07:

Il giorno mer, 03/02/2010 alle 16.35 +0000, Camaleón ha scritto:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:


Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:

You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
your DE hotplug capabilities.


As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
after the machine is booted.
As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.


I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
USB flash drive present.
That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.



Any takers for suggestions?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón




Maybe OT: what about executing a sh command on specific usb drive
mounts, on gnome and kde? As of as i recall from the debian wiki that's
not explained. Maybe in gentoo docs, i'll see.

Thanks for any hints.


Do you mean rather than using an /etc/fstab entry or a package like
usbmount, have a udev rule that on detection of the USB device, either
does an fsck and mount (at machine boot time) or just a mount of the
device (if the device appears after machine boot time)?


Arthur.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Arthur Marsh
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:


Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:



You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
your DE hotplug capabilities.


As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
after the machine is booted.


As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.


I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
USB flash drive present.


That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.


The response I received to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
proper behaviour /-:.


Arthur.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

In <5quq37-nql.ln1@ppp121-45-136-118.lns11.adl6.internode.on.net>, Arthur
Marsh wrote:
>Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:
>> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:04:26 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>>> Camaleón wrote, on 03/02/10 21:52:
>>>> You should not list your devices in fstab if you want to make use of
>>>> your DE hotplug capabilities.
>>>
>>> As I just posted in another message in this thread, I'd like the USB
>>> flash drive to be automatically mounted after fsck if the drive is
>>> present at boot-up and automatically mounted without fsck if plugged in
>>> after the machine is booted.
>>
>> As said, if you list the USB device in fstab, the system will try to
>> mount it on every boot, whether is plugged or not.
>>
>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without the
>>> USB flash drive present.
>>
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log a
>> warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
>The response I received to
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
>responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
>proper behaviour /-:.

I tend to agree. /etc/fstab is for static file systems, where "static" means
"always present in always the same location". I don't want any of my file
systems in /etc/fstab to simply be "skipped" because their device isn't
present -- I want a *LOUD* warning.

Exceptions -- file systems I don't want checked get a passno of 0; file
systems I don't want mounted get noauto flag.

IMHO, you are using /etc/fstab wrong and you'd better suited to using some
other method of fscking and mounting. Udev can run a command as soon as the
device node is available, but be aware that udev blocks until the command is
complete.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Camaleón
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:01:17 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:

> Camaleón wrote, on 04/02/10 03:05:

>>> I would also like the machine to boot fully if it is started without
>>> the USB flash drive present.
>>
>> That should not happen at all (if the disk is not present it should log
>> a warn, but the system should keep loading). It can be a bug.
>
> The response I received to
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
> responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
> proper behaviour /-:.

I've also found some "opposition" from developers while reporting bugs ;-)

But I still find the point valid: if a mount point defined in "fstab" is
not present at boot time, it should warn the user and log the error but
the boot process should not be stopped at all because the mount point is
not critical (i.e., is not root "/") for the system to properly start.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

In <pan.2010.02.04.14.28.16@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:01:17 +1030, Arthur Marsh wrote:
>> The response I received to
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=568200 suggest that the
>> responder thinks that running fsck on a non-existent device is the
>> proper behaviour /-:.
>
>I've also found some "opposition" from developers while reporting bugs ;-)
>
>But I still find the point valid: if a mount point defined in "fstab" is
>not present at boot time, it should warn the user and log the error but
>the boot process should not be stopped at all because the mount point is
>not critical (i.e., is not root "/") for the system to properly start.

There are filesystems other than '/' that I need to have a fully functional
system:

$ df -Ph
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0 981M 466M 515M 48% /
tmpfs 2.0G 8.0K 2.0G 1% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 272K 9.8M 3% /dev
tmpfs 2.0G 12K 2.0G 1% /dev/shm
/tmp 2.0G 32M 2.0G 2% /tmp
/dev/mapper/monster-home 1.2T 1.1T 109G 92% /home
/dev/mapper/monster-media 4.3T 4.2T 120G 98% /home/bss/media
/dev/mapper/monster-opt 1.0G 33M 992M 4% /opt
/dev/mapper/monster-srv 1.0G 37M 988M 4% /srv
/dev/mapper/monster-usr 8.0G 5.7G 2.4G 72% /usr
/dev/mapper/monster-usr.local 1.0G 36M 989M 4% /usr/local
/dev/mapper/monster-var 4.0G 1.3G 2.8G 31% /var
/dev/mapper/monster-var.cache 8.0G 4.1G 4.0G 51% /var/cache
/dev/mapper/monster-var.tmp 4.0G 398M 3.7G 10% /var/tmp

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Camaleón
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:50:58 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <pan.2010.02.04.14.28.16@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:

>>But I still find the point valid: if a mount point defined in "fstab" is
>>not present at boot time, it should warn the user and log the error but
>>the boot process should not be stopped at all because the mount point is
>>not critical (i.e., is not root "/") for the system to properly start.
>
> There are filesystems other than '/' that I need to have a fully
> functional system:

Yes, but the mount point of the OP is not critical for his system, that
was what I wanted to say. And the kernel must be aware of that device is
trivial and can be skipped without any drawbacks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default auto-mounting disks that might not be present (e.g. usb drives)

On Thursday 04 February 2010 09:04:08 Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:50:58 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > In <pan.2010.02.04.14.28.16@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
> >>But I still find the point valid: if a mount point defined in "fstab" is
> >>not present at boot time, it should warn the user and log the error but
> >>the boot process should not be stopped at all because the mount point is
> >>not critical (i.e., is not root "/") for the system to properly start.
> >
> > There are filesystems other than '/' that I need to have a fully
> > functional system:
>
> Yes, but the mount point of the OP is not critical for his system, that
> was what I wanted to say. And the kernel must be aware of that device is
> trivial and can be skipped without any drawbacks.

Why must the kernel be aware of that? That's a human decision, not a
technical one.

I can certainly see reasons that a device attached via USB might be considered
to the user to be critical.

In any case, /etc/fstab is for *static* file systems. It is *not* for file
systems that may or may not be there when the system is booting (or otherwise
in operation).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org