Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 AM
Stephen Powell

Default Mplayer - can it play audio cd's.........

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:35:39 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> Now I have sound working, though I might listen to an audio CD. Yeah
> right. Missing something again. Can't get an audio CD playing with
> Totem.
>
> I've never used Mplayer but though it can read hardrive audio files and
> play them it can't play audio CD's or won't mount them on my system,
> and being audio files I can't manually mount them either.
>
> Googled and found some stuff, but nothing that would help.
>
> Using Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-trunk-686
>
> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>
> gives this error message:
>
> MPlayer SVN-r30075 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> Can't init input joystick
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing cdda://track1.
> The start option must be an integer: track1
> Option hostname: Error while parsing m_span parameter start (track1)
> Struct cdda, field hostname parsing error: track1
> Can't open CDDA device.
> Failed to open cdda://track1.
>

> Exiting... (End of file)
>
> Could anyone please let me know what I might put into ~/.mplayer/config
> to possibly make this work?

I'm no expert on mplayer. In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.
But it looks to me like it's trying to do something with your joystick!
Don't ask me why.

Personally, I like cdplay. It's part of the cdtool package.
It's also a command line tool. The thing I like most about cdplay
is that it's extremely efficient. It just sends the "play" command
to the CD drive and then terminates. The CD drive itself does the
digital to analog conversion itself and sends an analog audio signal
directly to your sound card. No digital data is transferred across
the bus.

Most modern media players "rip"
the audio data from the CD drive as digital data and then send it to the
sound card. That gives you more flexibility if you want to extract audio
to your hard drive. But if all you want to do is listen to a music
CD, cdplay is an excellent tool. It does require that there be an audio
cable between your CD drive and your sound card, though. And the CD
channel in Alsamixer must be unmuted and turned up. Since this is
an analog input signal, it may not be adjustable by the master volume
control, depending on your audio chipset. The CD volume control may
operate independently of the master volume control.

Other useful commands in the cdtool package are cdstop, cdeject,
etc.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:11:04 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:35:39 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:

> > $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
> >
> > gives this error message:
> >
> > MPlayer SVN-r30075 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
> > Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
> > Can't init input joystick
> > mplayer: could not connect to socket
> > mplayer: No such file or directory
> > Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> > control.

> I'm no expert on mplayer. In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.
> But it looks to me like it's trying to do something with your joystick!
> Don't ask me why.

Standard and harmless, AFAIK. I see that too, but the app works fine.

Celejar

Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Charlie

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:11:04 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
<zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:

>On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 21:35:39 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
>> Now I have sound working, though I might listen to an audio CD. Yeah
>> right. Missing something again. Can't get an audio CD playing with
>> Totem.
>>
>> I've never used Mplayer but though it can read hardrive audio files
>> and play them it can't play audio CD's or won't mount them on my
>> system, and being audio files I can't manually mount them either.
>>
>> Googled and found some stuff, but nothing that would help.
>>
>> Using Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-trunk-686
>>
>> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>>
>> gives this error message:
>>
>> MPlayer SVN-r30075 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
>> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
>> Can't init input joystick
>> mplayer: could not connect to socket
>> mplayer: No such file or directory
>> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
>> control.
>>
>> Playing cdda://track1.
>> The start option must be an integer: track1
>> Option hostname: Error while parsing m_span parameter start (track1)
>> Struct cdda, field hostname parsing error: track1
>> Can't open CDDA device.
>> Failed to open cdda://track1.
>>

>> Exiting... (End of file)
>>
>> Could anyone please let me know what I might put into
>> ~/.mplayer/config to possibly make this work?
>
>I'm no expert on mplayer. In fact, I don't think I've ever used it.
>But it looks to me like it's trying to do something with your joystick!
>Don't ask me why.
>
>Personally, I like cdplay. It's part of the cdtool package.
>It's also a command line tool. The thing I like most about cdplay
>is that it's extremely efficient. It just sends the "play" command
>to the CD drive and then terminates. The CD drive itself does the
>digital to analog conversion itself and sends an analog audio signal
>directly to your sound card. No digital data is transferred across
>the bus.
>
>Most modern media players "rip"
>the audio data from the CD drive as digital data and then send it to
>the sound card. That gives you more flexibility if you want to
>extract audio to your hard drive. But if all you want to do is listen
>to a music CD, cdplay is an excellent tool. It does require that
>there be an audio cable between your CD drive and your sound card,
>though. And the CD channel in Alsamixer must be unmuted and turned
>up. Since this is an analog input signal, it may not be adjustable by
>the master volume control, depending on your audio chipset. The CD
>volume control may operate independently of the master volume control.
>
>Other useful commands in the cdtool package are cdstop, cdeject,
>etc.

Thanks Stephen,

It comes up in my search as:

wmcdplay

and I have an Acer laptop that I use as a desktop [we only have solar
power] so not certain there is a cable connection? Usually not included
in laptops I think, but will give it a larrup.

Thank you,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

I had three chairs in my house; one for solitude, two for friendship,
three for society. ....Henry David Thoreau

.................................................. ...

Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Teemu Likonen

* 2010-02-02 13:35 (+1100), Charlie wrote:

> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>
> gives this error message:

Are you sure that the device name is correct? How about this:

$ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom1 cdda://1

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies
if you want to make sure I'll notice them.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Charlie

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:10:22 +0200 Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi>
shared this with us all:

>* 2010-02-02 13:35 (+1100), Charlie wrote:
>
>> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/media/cdrom1 cdda://track1
>>
>> gives this error message:
>
>Are you sure that the device name is correct? How about this:
>
> $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/cdrom1 cdda://1

Thank you, no. it required /dev/hdb and then it worked.

Be well,
Charlie

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ....Eleanor
Roosevelt

.................................................. ...

Old 02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:30:38 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:11:04 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
> <zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:
>>Personally, I like cdplay. It's part of the cdtool package.
>>It's also a command line tool. The thing I like most about cdplay
>>is that it's extremely efficient. It just sends the "play" command
>>to the CD drive and then terminates. The CD drive itself does the
>>digital to analog conversion itself and sends an analog audio signal
>>directly to your sound card. No digital data is transferred across
>>the bus.
>>
>>Most modern media players "rip"
>>the audio data from the CD drive as digital data and then send it to
>>the sound card. That gives you more flexibility if you want to
>>extract audio to your hard drive. But if all you want to do is listen
>>to a music CD, cdplay is an excellent tool. It does require that
>>there be an audio cable between your CD drive and your sound card,
>>though. And the CD channel in Alsamixer must be unmuted and turned
>>up. Since this is an analog input signal, it may not be adjustable by
>>the master volume control, depending on your audio chipset. The CD
>>volume control may operate independently of the master volume control.
>>
>>Other useful commands in the cdtool package are cdstop, cdeject,
>>etc.
>
> Thanks Stephen,
>
> It comes up in my search as:
>
> wmcdplay
>
> and I have an Acer laptop that I use as a desktop [we only have solar
> power] so not certain there is a cable connection? Usually not included
> in laptops I think, but will give it a larrup.

No, that is a different package and a different tool. The package
name is cdtool. It exists in both stable and testing.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Charlie

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:11:37 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
<zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:

>No, that is a different package and a different tool. The package
>name is cdtool. It exists in both stable and testing.

Thanks Stephen,

Will give it a try the other didn't work so purged it again.

Be well,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

One may discover a new side to his most intimate friend when for the
first time he hears him speak in public. He will be stranger to him as
he is more familiar to the audience. The longest intimacy could not
foretell how he would behave then. .....Henry David Thoreau

.................................................. ...

Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Charlie

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:11:37 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
<zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:

>I have an Acer laptop that I use as a desktop [we only have solar
>> power] so not certain there is a cable connection? Usually not
>> included in laptops I think, but will give it a larrup.

Sadly it doesn't work for me Stephen. Obviously my lappy doesn't have
the cable lead from CDROM to speaker. :-( sigh

But just reading the man page that little application is a treasure for
any lappy where they haven't decided to save another .10cents and pt n
the cable.

Thanks again,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

That government is best which governs least. ...Henry David Thoreau

.................................................. ...

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Stephen Powell

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:19:50 -0500 (EST), Charlie wrote:
> Sadly it doesn't work for me Stephen. Obviously my lappy doesn't have
> the cable lead from CDROM to speaker. :-( sigh
> But just reading the man page that little application is a treasure for
> any lappy where they haven't decided to save another .10cents and pt n
> the cable.

Well, if there's no CD audio cable between the CD-ROM drive and the sound
card, then you're right, it won't work. But before you give up,
check a few more things.

Run "alsamixer"

1. Check to make sure that the CD column is not muted. Do you see "MM"
at the bottom instead of "OO"? If so, unmute the channel with the "m" key.
Pressing the m key toggles the mute control on and off. Obviously, make
sure that the CD column is the current column before you do this.

2. Make sure that the volume in the CD column is turned up.

----

3. If the CD drive successfully receives the "play" command, you will
see the activity light flash on and off in extremely regular intervals.
Do you see the activity light flash? If not, the CD drive probably
didn't receive the command.

4. If the CD drive has a headphone jack on the front, insert a pair
of headphones and listen there. Do you hear anything? Some CD
drives also have an audio volume control on the front as well.
Play around with that to see if it does anything.

If the activity light flashes regularly, and you hear sound
through the headphones, and the CD channel in alsamixer is
unmuted and the volume control is up, but you still hear no
sound through the laptop speakers, chances are that the audio
cable between the CD drive and the sound card is missing.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Charlie

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:43:46 -0500 (EST) Stephen Powell
<zlinuxman@wowway.com> shared this with us all:

>But before you give up,
>check a few more things.

Thanks Stephen,

I have done all that to get mplayer working - Florian directed me
through that, and you might have seen my posts regarding that subject.

Thanks again,
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Bitter morning: sparrows sitting without necks ....James W. Hackett