Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM
PETER EASTHOPE

Default Postscript: Grub2 in current Squeeze

My usual email isn't available until Grub works again.

Yes, updating a system via a remote connection is probably not advisable.

Attempting to run aptitude to reinstall grub from the rescue mode system
gives this message.
Error opening terminal: bterm

How might this damage be repaired.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:11:26 -0500 (EST), PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> My usual email isn't available until Grub works again.
> Yes, updating a system via a remote connection is probably not advisable.
> Attempting to run aptitude to reinstall grub from the rescue mode system
> gives this message.
> Error opening terminal: bterm
> How might this damage be repaired.

There have been many threads recently about grub-pc boot problems,
including an advisory not to update grub-pc in apt-listchanges
during the upgrade itself.

No doubt the grub fans out there will give me flak for saying this;
but honestly, if it were me, I'd install lilo and forget about
grub, at least for a while. Once you upgrade you can't easily
go back. You either wait for the bug to be fixed, or you try a
tricky and unsupported installation of a back-level package, or
you install something else. In this case the solution is to install
something else. That's what I did.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Tom H

> My usual email isn't available until Grub works again.

> Yes, updating a system via a remote connection is probably not advisable.

> Attempting to run aptitude to reinstall grub from the rescue mode system
> gives this message.
> Error opening terminal: bterm

> How might this damage be repaired.

You do not need to use aptitude.

You have to chroot your squeeze install and (1) run grub-install for
/boot/grub to be populated afresh from /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc and stage
1 and stage 2 to be created and set up and (2) run update-grub.