Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Brian Denheyer

Default debian-user-digest Digest V2010 #186

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:30:25 +0000 (UTC)

> I'm sorry guys, but I've switched to Ubuntu Server 9.10 Karmic Koala.
> Tired of all debian driver problems, and a ubuntu live usb disc
> running without problems I decided to switch.
>

> As far as I've understood now the issue has to do with kernel
> versions. Debian Lenny has 2.6.26, Lenny-backports 2.6.30 and the
> netinst images of Kenshi Muto currently 2.6.32. Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic has
> 2.6.31.
>
> Installation of that OS wasn't without hassle too. For documentary
> reasons the way I did it on the Intel D945GSEJT board. Answer to
> Florian Kulzer's questions below.

I am also using the D945GSEJT boardwith the R8169 and had a heck of a
time getting things going. The problem is indeed in the kernel, so I
installed unstable to get a version of the kernel which would support
it. Your desire to avoid unstable was probably a good one, as unstable
seems to be more unstable than I have experienced in the past.

However I did _not_ have any problems with the installation, I used a
USB stick, followed the excellent debian docs on how to use the stick
as the boot device and everything went smoothly.

Well, sort of smoothly, it turns out I had a bad ethernet switch, but
that's a subject for a different post.

Brian