Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 AM
hadi motamedi

Default Grub boot loader?

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:27:54AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your message . So you mean I can make use of it to activate my
> grub edit w/o any problem?

That all depends on what your problem is that you are trying to solve.

Is your computer booting to a login prompt?

Pressing the 'e' key *should* alow you to edit the menu entry. What
happens when you press 'e'?

Are you seeing the menu? If not what are you seeing?

Why do you want to edit the menu?

You'll need to provide more information if you want help.

Please, respond only to the list. I don't need two copies.

--
Chris.

*
Thank you for your reply .
- Yes , my computer boots to a login prompt .
- When I press the 'e' key , nothing happens and after the timer expiry the boot process will begin automatically . So I don't have chance to edit my boot kernel .
- I don't see the grub menu . I just see the Debian logo and a timer that counts down automatically .
- I want to be able to edit the menu say putting it into single user mode by adding 'single' at the end of the line , etc.
*
*

Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Chris Bannister

Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:46:36PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply .
> - Yes , my computer boots to a login prompt .

Good. Then DON"T mess with grub-install.

> - When I press the 'e' key , nothing happens and after the timer expiry the
> boot process will begin automatically . So I don't have chance to edit my
> boot kernel .
> - I don't see the grub menu . I just see the Debian logo and a timer that
> counts down automatically .

Ahhh, that might be the reason. You running splashy?

> - I want to be able to edit the menu say putting it into single user mode by
> adding 'single' at the end of the line , etc.

I presume you want to make this change permanent. The only way to do
that is by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and running update-grub.

You did run 'update-grub', didn't you?

Editing the menu by pressing the 'e' key does not write any thing to
menu.lst - it only allows you to change 'things' for that one boot. The
changes are lost after that.

But if you can't see the menu when you boot, how can you select "single
user" mode anyway? <scratches head.>

But you should already have a single user mode if you ran update-grub.

What is output of:

grep -v '^#' /boot/grub/menu.lst

--
Chris.
------

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
MHR

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:33 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your message . When I reboot my CentOS server I see the the menu
> with a timer but I cannot enter to edit my boot kernel by pressing 'e' key .

Perhaps I wasn't clear the first time. To interrupt the timer, you
press the <space> bar. You can't edit anything until after that
point.

> Then the timer will expire and the boot process will begin . I want to be
> able to edit my kernel through grub edit so I asked if I can try for
> 'grub-install /dev/hdax' w/o any harm on my CentOS server . Do you mean I
> can edit my '/boot/grub/menu.lst' by vi the same as I want to do inside my
> grub edit ? Are they the same procedures ? Please confirm.

Yes, you can just edit the menu.lst with any text editor.
/boot/grub/menu.lst is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf, same as
/etc/grub.conf. You have to be root to edit it (them).

grub-install won't do what you want.

mhr

Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Celejar

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 02:22:11 +1300
Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:27:54AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> > Thank you for your message . So you mean I can make use of it to activate my
> > grub edit w/o any problem?
>
> That all depends on what your problem is that you are trying to solve.
>
> Is your computer booting to a login prompt?
>
> Pressing the 'e' key *should* alow you to edit the menu entry. What
> happens when you press 'e'?
>
> Are you seeing the menu? If not what are you seeing?

I have no idea if this is relevant to the OP's problem, but in any
event, for the archives:

I once was terribly frustrated by the failure of the grub keys (b, e,
p) to do what they were supposed to do. I eventually realized the
problem: I use a dvorak keymap, both in the console and in X, but grub
was using qwerty ...

[A quick Google^WYahoo finds this way to get grub to use dvorak:

http://bobbens.dyndns.org/files/grub-dvorak.lst]

Celejar

Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 AM
hadi motamedi

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:46:36PM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Thank you for your reply .
> - Yes , my computer boots to a login prompt .

Good. Then DON"T mess with grub-install.

> - When I press the 'e' key , nothing happens and after the timer expiry the
> boot process will begin automatically . So I don't have chance to edit my
> boot kernel .

> - I don't see the grub menu . I just see the Debian logo and a timer that
> counts down automatically .

Ahhh, that might be the reason. You running splashy?

> - I want to be able to edit the menu say putting it into single user mode by
> adding 'single' at the end of the line , etc.

I presume you want to make this change permanent. The only way to do

that is by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and running update-grub.

You did run 'update-grub', didn't you?

Editing the menu by pressing the 'e' key does not write any thing to
menu.lst - it only allows you to change 'things' for that one boot. The

changes are lost after that.

But if you can't see the menu when you boot, how can you select "single
user" mode anyway? *<scratches head.>

But you should already have a single user mode if you ran update-grub.

What is output of:

grep -v '^#' /boot/grub/menu.lst

--

Chris.
------

*
*
Thank you for your message .
- So I won't try for 'grub-install' .
- How can I check if it is running splashy ?
- No , I don't want to make these changes permanent . I want to change them for that one reboot . So I want to touch grub edit menu.
- Please find below the output of grep -v '^#' /boot/grub/menu.lst :
title**** Debian GNU/Linux,kernel 2.4.27-2-386
root**** (hd0,0)
kernel* /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
initrd** /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386
savedefault
boot
title*** Debian GNU/Linux , kernel 2.4.27-2-386 (recovery mode)
root*** (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro single

Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:15:12AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

The answer is easier to read and follow if you type it directly under
the question. Also, removing old text helps as well.

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Chris Bannister <
> mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:

[snip]

> - How can I check if it is running splashy ?

I don't know - I've never run it or even looked at it, but apt-cache
policy splashy might help.

> - No , I don't want to make these changes permanent . I want to change them
> for that one reboot . So I want to touch grub edit menu.

OK.

> - Please find below the output of grep -v '^#' /boot/grub/menu.lst :
> title Debian GNU/Linux,kernel 2.4.27-2-386

That is a really old kernel. Are you running Sarge?

> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386
> savedefault
> boot
> title Debian GNU/Linux , kernel 2.4.27-2-386 (recovery mode)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro single

Look! You already have a single user mode.

--
Chris.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Hadi Motamedi

*

--

Chris.

*
*
Yes , I am running Sarge . I got the point . Thank you very much .

*

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:09:16AM +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Yes , I am running Sarge . I got the point . Thank you very much .

So is your "problem" sorted?

Sarge is unsupported now and any advice you recieve may not be correct
as there have been quite a few changes between Sarge -> Lenny.

Is there a special reason you are not running Lenny?

P.S. Please don't split threads. That is, don't create a new message
when replying to a post. Use list reply if you can, or if Gmail can't
cope with that then do a reply and arrange the headers to suit.
(That's if even Gmail will do that! )

--
Chris.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:50 AM